​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
t
Theo
Wire bridge Steall Falls
Over on ye olde Usenet (uk.rec.walking) someone has a query about the wire bridge near Steall Falls - Glen Nevis. It didn't show on the newest 1:25k but does on the 1:50. I know a wire had broken a week after my last visit but thought it had been repaired a while ago...
Views: 486   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 21, 2013 3:01pm
by Hein Hogenhuis
j
John J
Yellow Snow Warning
Those chaps and chapesses at the Met Office have issued a Yellow Snow Warning for Timperley. Just thought you'd like to know. JJ JJs Stuff
Views: 484   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 20, 2013 10:45pm
by John Wright
Camp site finder
Incase you are having problems finding camp sites which will take tents have a look here http://www.scottishcampingguide.com/index.php it also lists sites which have now closed, although a negative it's useful to know.
Views: 428   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 20, 2013 9:03pm
by bill howden
Loch Ness Crossing
Just heard back from Gordon Menzies - got my place booked on the ferry. 111 days to go.
Views: 698   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jan 20, 2013 10:26am
by john donohoe
St. Cyrus beach hazard
Today's shock news is that unsightly tubs of lard have been found on the beach at St. Cyrus! Surprisingly these are not Challenge Legends checking their routes; it is cargo dislodged from a WW2 shipwreck off Johnshaven. Canny Eastcoasters have declared the lard is st...
Views: 487   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 20, 2013 9:54am
by Rod Ross
j
Joy
Inverness sleeper
I'm thinking of getting the sleeper for the first time, departing from Crewe at 23.52. At this time of night is the bar/restaurant car still open do you know? Also has anyone travelled first class on this? Does first class have private facilities? If not, I can'...
Views: 408   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 19, 2013 6:29pm
by Joy
Snow - ho ho!
A light covering here in The Borders - but I'm only at 80m. This morning The Cheviot looked to have substantially more. Let the sledding begin! Am roasting chestnuts as we squeak!
Views: 635   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jan 19, 2013 2:11pm
by Jean Turner
t
terry
south side loch mullardoch,
hi all,i'm thinking of going along the south side of loch mullardoch.any body been that way!and is it possible to get over the river choilich at NH100 285 look likes it could be a problem,!!
Views: 593   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 17, 2013 1:44am
by Mark
You just have to see this!
Mick Blackburn's been busy again: Take a look at this. You can find out all about it by clicking HERE
Views: 681   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jan 14, 2013 8:27pm
by Andrew W
Eastern Cairngorm FWAs
I have plotted a route through the eastern Cairgorms from Glenmore Lodge to Ballater via Ryovan Pass, Strath Nethy, Loch Avon, River Avon, Builg Burn, River Gairn. The idea is to climb Ben Avon and maybe Beinn a' Bhiurd if the weather is good enough and stay in the...
Views: 544   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 14, 2013 7:58am
by Louise
2012 Photos ...finally
Hi All, Here you go took these last year - there are a few, you might want a cuppa. I thought I better get them up before this years event. A couple of points to note. 1. I'm new to Smugmug so bear with me 2. I don't remember it being so sunny. 3. I kno...
Views: 721   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 13, 2013 8:53pm
by Lindy Griffiths
Speyside: Places to stay and avoiding tarmac
I'm getting close to finishing my maiden TGOC route plan and having started with some interesting wild bits (Knoydart, Affric, eastern Cairngorms/Loch/Glen (possibly Ben) Avon, Glen Gairn) I now have a chunk of Speyside between Garva Bridge (end of Corrieyairack pas...
Views: 384   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 13, 2013 3:37pm
by John Wright
mallaig - inverie
Hi all Challenge virgin here so probably be on with loads of questions before we go. Just wondering about the mallaig - inverie ferry. As mallaig is a popular jump off is it adviasable to book the morning ferry or will we all be able to cosy up and squeeze on?
Views: 584   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 13, 2013 12:04pm
by John Wright
Monad thingys FWA
Hi All, Shock horror I am trying a dfferent route this year, but am a bit stuck on an FWA across / around the Mondal....Mountains(I understand this has a curse on it?). Even the Glens and valleys appears to get over the pre-req of 500m unless you go miles and bloo...
Views: 576   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 10, 2013 1:42pm
by Mr. Grumpy
Train - Bus
I will be arriving in Glasgow by train and getting the bus to Dornie. How far is the bus station from the train station? William
Views: 436   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 9, 2013 7:55pm
by Humphrey Weightm...
Dulnain Werewolves
Je comprends que les loups-garous continuer à infester le Dulnain Supérieur. Ils sont inoffensifs. Ma compréhension est qu'ils préfèrent le Laser Competition - mais certains persistent à utiliser les Aktos.
Views: 632   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 7:04pm
by terry
Accomodation Laggan area.
Anyone looking for a good stopover,chance to dry out (i don't mean AA)shower, Monadhliath Hotel 500 metres away,coffee and cake,look no further than here:- www.potterybunkhouse.co.uk/Taking bookings for TGOC,i have just confirmed my bed, linen included, bring you...
Views: 481   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 12:48pm
by Roy Wright
TGOC 2012
On my last Challenge an extroadinary number of people (thank you Alan Sloman and Chris Peart) mentioned that they liked reading my TGOC accounts, so I thought I'd write up this years too. You can re-live that dreadful first Sunday here. John
Views: 1360   Replies: 25
Last Post: Jan 6, 2013 10:27pm
by John Hesp
A Special Invitation
I had to reduce the size of our invitation card a bit to get it to fit the space here, but no need to reach for your specs those GRs are NN421884 and NN803877. In the midst of the wild highlands you can seek out an oasis of refined company, genteel conversat...
Views: 1033   Replies: 16
Last Post: Jan 6, 2013 6:15pm
by alan.sloman
Digital mapping
Being an old fashioned sort of bloke I have only used map and paper and pencil to create my route maps in the past. Now I hear you can get access to digitial mapping and route card software by paying a small monthly fee rather than fork out a fortune for digital map...
Views: 574   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 5, 2013 11:43pm
by Andrew W
The Unmentionable Mountains - first-time Challengers
Simply to remark that to directly name a certain massif - the M*n*dlia*h - is entirely taboo within the Challenge Community. Think of this, in a theatrical context, as similar to The Scottish Play. Call it superstition, or call it what you may, but the simple fact...
Views: 605   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 5, 2013 11:39pm
by Andrew W
Laggan Stores
An article in this week's Oban Times claims that Laggan Stores will be closing down at the end of this month. The present owner intends to sell it, "but not as a going trade". Bad news for anyone who was planning to replenish supplies or forward a parcel drop.
Views: 1197   Replies: 14
Last Post: Jan 4, 2013 8:08am
by Kincraig Stores
The Challenge: Statistical Analysis
Mick Blackburn's been busy crunching all the Challenge data. There's quite a few interesting observations to be seen: Click HERE to find out.
Views: 556   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 2, 2013 10:42pm
by Adolph
SPRING GATHERING 8th - 10th March
Just a reminder that if you are thinking of coming to the Spring Gathering at the Snake Inn on the 8th - 10th March that I have only reserved rooms at the Inn until the 31st January. At the moment there are still some rooms available. There is no problem at prese...
Views: 373   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 2, 2013 9:38pm
by Alan Hardy
Petition to Alex Salmond against wind farms
Maybe a wee bit off topic but I hope you'll be tolerant as it does affect us all. There is a petition to Alex Salmond against wind farms - if you feel like I do about these, please sign. http://www.change.org/petitions/first-minister-alex-salmond-stop-the-rec...
Views: 329   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 2, 2013 4:56pm
by Ian Sommerville
Plockton
Just wondering, anyone else for a Plockton start?
Views: 507   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 1, 2013 8:51pm
by Billy N O'Mates
New Year
To all TGO'ers I wish you a guid New Year and mony may ye see.
Views: 491   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 1, 2013 7:19pm
by Lindy Griffiths
Gairlochy Camping
Hi All, First time challenger here; been something I have dreamed about for years after seeing you all roll into Montrose each year. Planning a route from Lochailort over to Montrose and was wondering if anyone has any local knowledge about the camping faciliti...
Views: 526   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 31, 2012 11:13am
by valerie HAMILTON
Kyle of Durness
I know this is outwith the Challenge area but the new Ian Rankin is bugging me. Is there a bridge across the Kyle of Durness? The book seems to suggest that you could drive on a track all the way from Durness to Cape Wrath "if you reckoned your vehicle up to the tas...
Views: 523   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 31, 2012 11:05am
by valerie HAMILTON
t
Theo
passage underneath Caledonian Canal
I'll be coming down the Great Glen to Fort Bill and discovered this passage at NN132791 underneath the Caledonian Canal. Is it possible to acces the Great Glen Way next to the canal from here ? Skips 3k of road walking. TIA from Theo
Views: 520   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 29, 2012 1:39pm
by bill howden
Coupar Angus - dismantled railway
Does anyone know if the dismantled railway running past Coupar Angus is walkable, please? Ideally I'd join the railway at Stanley and walk all the way to Newtyle, but information about any sections would be welcome. Thanks
Views: 480   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 29, 2012 1:16pm
by Judith
Hooded down vest - £20
Just had my £20 hooded down vest delivered! Weighs in at (L) 380 grms and seems to be well put together. It's quite long too - and has 2 handwarmer pockets and 2 inside pockets. Now, I'm a bit sniffy about gear - I live in PHD stuff! BUT - you can't go...
Views: 639   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 29, 2012 9:25am
by Peewiglet
t
Theo
cheapest trainticket montrose-mallaig
I'm trying to keep my crossing as lowbudget as possible. I know trainfares in Britain are/can be high so I wondered if someone can tell me how to obtain an as-cheap-as-possible trainticket from Montrose to Mallaig (thusrday 9/5). To make things more difficult : I'm a...
Views: 505   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 28, 2012 3:57pm
by Theo
Best wishes.
To all past, present and future TGO Challengers. May I take this opportunity to wish you all a very pleasant Christmas and a happy, prosperous and safe walking New Year. Pat.HRH
Views: 714   Replies: 16
Last Post: Dec 25, 2012 11:31am
by Goddess
WAITING LIST
My sympathies to the 2 people that have dropped out already but they have enabled Ian and me (one and two on the waiting list!!) to get on TGOC13, a wonderful Christmas surprise for us both. So the reshuffle has started folks!! I look forward to seeing the Final Lis...
Views: 399   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 24, 2012 7:24pm
by Jenny Headscarf
Merry bloomin' Christmas
Hope everyone has a fantabulous Christmas and New Year and that your presents haven't yet been swept away by floodwaters - all this bracing weather is perfect practice for 2013's TGO Challenge! The office is closed for a few days while Jack and Sierra are indoctri...
Views: 385   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 24, 2012 3:32pm
by Cliff Richards
Booking bus tickets
Seeing a question in another thread about cheap train tickets I wondered if bus tickets were released yet for travel in May, as that is how I will travel. I thought some others might like to know that both Megabus and Scottish City links are now taking bookings (...
Views: 427   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 22, 2012 6:28pm
by Goddess
Twenty weeks...
Twenty weeks. Just thought I would mention it
Views: 444   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 21, 2012 4:34pm
by Humphrey Weightm...
Beware of Golden Eagles!
If you are in the Highlands next May do take care! http://now.msn.com/eagle-tries-to-snatch-child-in-viral-video
Views: 551   Replies: 10
Last Post: Dec 21, 2012 2:32pm
by Mike Knipe
Drumnadrochit - where to stay?
Until I saw the post from the man from Seattle, I had planned to camp in Drumnadrochit. 8am ferry! I've stayed in Drum years ago near the centre, but can't remember where - it was a good night. So, does anyone have any suggestions for a B & B that will t...
Views: 712   Replies: 10
Last Post: Dec 17, 2012 3:07pm
by Gordon Green
Dornie Start
Hi I will start at Dornie, walk east to River Elchaig, then camp on the Eastern Shore of Loch a Bhealaich after visiting The Falls of Glomach. Is there a good camp site in that area? Are the 2 bridges at NG968278 and NG009270 still there? How are the riv...
Views: 647   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 14, 2012 12:04pm
by William Burton
Mayan Calendar
Hi All, What with the Mayan calendar, I thought I would wait until the 22nd to do any planning!
Views: 495   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 14, 2012 8:06am
by Ian C.
Loch Ness Ferry details, 2013
TGOC Loch Ness Ferry We’re very grateful to Gordon Menzies who will again be providing a Challenge-specific ferry service across Loch Ness, from Temple Pier, Drumnadrochit, during the 2013 TGOC. This service is always very popular and we recommend that you b...
Views: 1577   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 13, 2012 12:50pm
by John Manning
Trailstar?
Hi All, I saw a few people on this year's Chally with tarps called "Trailstar"? and was impressed. Can anyone tell me who makes them and is there a website? Cheers. Only 5 weeks to Christmas.
Views: 752   Replies: 11
Last Post: Dec 12, 2012 11:12am
by AussieMike
First time on the Challenge?
If you're setting out on the Challenge for the first time, and you've not already found them, there are a few Challenge diaries gathered HERE. Enjoy!
Views: 889   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 12, 2012 7:43am
by Stuart Fraser
Foul weather alternatives getting from Kinloch Hourn to Glen Affric
I'm a first-timer looking at the feasibility of including Knoydart and Glen Affric in my route. From Kinlochhourn there is a choice of ridge or Glen walking depending on the weather. It looks like the only relatively low level route is up the Easter Glen Quoich bur...
Views: 460   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 11, 2012 9:31pm
by John Wright
Crossing River Beauly
Hi, everyone, Can anyone tell me if you can actually cross the Beauly River just above Crask of Aigas where it is marked as Power Station and Fish Pass NH 474437 approx. Is it a walker friendly bridge as well ? thanks Sue
Views: 580   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 10, 2012 4:44pm
by Sue Moore
Glen Tromie - Dalriach footbridge
Help please, for a (possibly over-anxious) first-timer. Rather than cross the Tromie at the Lodge, coming from Ruthven, I thought it might be more interesting to cross at Dalriach footbridge (NN753923). Can I access this from the moors to the north, or will I be face...
Views: 651   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 9, 2012 6:21pm
by Chris H
Fly over all the Challenge start-points
My pal Count Conn Tourline (old-school, Van Deyk beard, red socks, pipe, flask of Jura 12, second cousin of Lord Elpus through the French branch) took his vintage De Havilland Rapide up for a jolly good day's outing last week and flew from Torridon down to Ardrishaig...
Views: 768   Replies: 12
Last Post: Dec 9, 2012 9:48am
by Colin Bennett
Comcast email users...
Comcast's super-efficient spam filter is blocking TGOC circulars. This seems to apply particularly to our friends in the US. please add the tgoc@* and John@* email addresses to your address books in the hope of getting around the problem. *outdoorsmanning.co...
Views: 358   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 6, 2012 12:03pm
by John Manning
Challengers: We're a select bunch!
You know, we are a pretty select bunch! Fewer people complete the TGO Challenge each year than summit Mt Everest. EVEREST ASCENTS
Views: 651   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 2, 2012 9:41pm
by Waldo
t
terry
tgo magazines,
hi,Home needed for over a hundred tgo magazines some dating back to the early 80s90s and 2000s free!! I've been sorting out a few things and don't need them any more,so if you are interested just come and collect them,
Views: 390   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 2, 2012 9:22pm
by terry
A way through the woods
Challenge newbie thinking about a route including Laggan -> Glen Turret -> Glen Roy -> Melgarve. Would like to know if there is a path through the woods from the top of the forest road to Coire an t'Sidhein? Or is it a question of flogging through the trees? Goo...
Views: 742   Replies: 9
Last Post: Dec 1, 2012 10:29pm
by Waldo
Achlain to Ft.Augustus
As a first-timer, and one-time historian, after Torgyle Bridge I thought I would follow as far as possible the roads left by the C18th jack-booted oppressors. Unfortunately, to go from Achlain to Ft.Augustus it appears I need to cross the Allt Phocaichain, which, acc...
Views: 534   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 30, 2012 9:32pm
by alan.sloman
Anquet
Whilst planning my route using Anquet V6 the height ascent/descent does not register in DtExplo. Wondering if anyone has /had this problem and managed to resolve it?
Views: 523   Replies: 10
Last Post: Nov 30, 2012 6:49pm
by Rod MacDonald
Payments, home & abroad
Heads-up, Those who sent cheques to cover entry fees, these will be banked in the next week. Apologies for the delay. One of our overseas guests has made electronic payment (for a solo Challenger) which lacked identifying marks, so we don't know who! Could you...
Views: 330   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 30, 2012 2:07pm
by John Manning
Sunrise, sunset and the moon next May
Seeing a fabulous full moon setting in a nearly clear sky early this morning made me wonder about the moon and sunrise/sunset will be when we are away in May. A bit of internet trawling led to this: Date Sunrise Sunset Friday, May 10, 2013 3:51 a...
Views: 613   Replies: 10
Last Post: Nov 29, 2012 3:01pm
by Lindy Griffiths
Strath Ossian - An Lairig
Not strictly Challenge-related but this forum is the best place to ask. I'm thinking about a wee dander from Corrour to Dalwhinnie. A few Challenges back I went up by the Uisge Labhair and it was absolutely vile; one of the roughest, nastiest, pseudo-paths I can...
Views: 1156   Replies: 25
Last Post: Nov 29, 2012 8:38am
by David Williams
Congratulations u lucky people
Well done all of you happy shiny people on the 2013 chally and the
Views: 459   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 28, 2012 11:36pm
by Freddy
My Blog
I've just updated www.meip.co.uk with my 2012 walks. These are all English 2000ft mountains (under the 'English 2000s' button). The 47 new summits bagged are described under the 2012 header (towards the end of the page). Thanks for looking and I hope to complete t...
Views: 392   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 27, 2012 7:52pm
by Steve Smith
Shenachie Ropeway
I thought I would like to cross the Findhorn at Shenachie using what is described on the map as a "Ropeway". Research now tells me that this is a hand driven mechanical device where the passenger is transported in a cage, self-powered by turning a handle? whilst su...
Views: 717   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 26, 2012 11:06pm
by Colin Tock
Glen Mazeran access
Hi. All this talk of explosive windfarm development has me worried. I'm planning a route taking me from (Drum/Inverfarigaig) to Aviemore via Glen Mazeran, preferably turning off the road (B851) at NH626255 onto a track by the River Nairn, up beside the Allt Mo...
Views: 666   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 26, 2012 2:51pm
by Stormin'
T-shirts and socks
Have had a fair few enquiries about the 2013 T-shirts and the request forsock sizes on the admin form. It's all explained in the literature, folks!
Views: 611   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 23, 2012 10:49am
by John Manning
Updated my Spot tracker
To one of these: Delorme InReach Advantage over the spot: 2 way communications. This means that not only do you KNOW when an outgoing message or track point has been successfully sent (the Spot sends blind - it does not know if the message got out), but you are al...
Views: 269   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 23, 2012 5:28am
by AussieMike
Torridon transport
SYHA Torridon manager Mat has been in touch to update/correct Torridon travel info on the Event Details: There are no buses from Achnasheen to Torridon anymore, but there is a daily service (m-s) from Strathcarron. The bus meets the early afternoon train from Inve...
Views: 410   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 22, 2012 10:19pm
by John Manning
Taxi for Torridon
I have spent some time trying to solve the problem of travelling up from S.Yorks to Torridon enabling arrival in good time before last orders at the Torridon Inn Pub. As a result,I have contacted a taxi firm in Inverness who have an 8 seater minibus and would pick up...
Views: 552   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 22, 2012 10:18pm
by John Manning
Forest map and way down to Glen Carron
The Forest Commission map http://maps.forestry.gov.uk/imf/imf.jsp?site=fcscotland_ext& shows the forest by Sgurr A Gharraidh as not mature and easy to get down to Glen Carron and then to Craig, and the track to the bridge at NH047493 Grough route has it as mature...
Views: 509   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 22, 2012 10:42am
by Gordon Green
How to find the downloadable route sheet
Click on the words "TGO Challenge Resources page" on this page. It's easy but it defeats some of our greatest minds. Note that the admin Form and the Route sheet have been amended for 2013's TGOC so adapting the 2012 forms won't quite do the trick. Good luck!
Views: 434   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 22, 2012 10:01am
by Gordon Green
Kinloch Rannoch accommodation
Just received word from Challenge Control maestro Robin Woodger that the Dunalastair Hotel in Kinloch Rannoch is closed and in the hands of an adminstrator. That's not to say it won't be open in May but those planning routes in that direction with an eye on a bed...
Views: 464   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 22, 2012 8:05am
by Tony Pugh
Squashed forum???
Is it just me or has the forum been seriously Squashed in to the LEFT hand side of page??? occasionally an odd post is "normal" (in the middle where it used to be) been like this for a few months...
Views: 590   Replies: 13
Last Post: Nov 21, 2012 11:11pm
by alan.sloman
Route & admin submissions
When submitting your route forms and admin forms, can folks please include their FULL name in the body of their email (eg, "Love & kisses, Freddie Kruger"). Saves me a bit of time, that's all! Many thanks, J
Views: 374   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 21, 2012 11:33am
by John Manning
Mick's Magnificent TGO Challenge Graphs!
The mathematically mesmerised amongst our number may well find the following article of particular interest. (Click on the link below) MICK'S TGO ANALYSIS
Views: 451   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 20, 2012 10:58pm
by alan.sloman
The ethics of an Ardrishaig start
I'd like to start in Ardrishaig in 2013, but there's a problem. I like to start with a West Coast Paddle, but Ardrishaig definitely faces East and the nearest piece of West coast is about 5 miles away as the crow flies. My options would seem to be: 1. Get the...
Views: 836   Replies: 11
Last Post: Nov 20, 2012 10:24pm
by Judith
d
David
Looks familiar
Could be a typical Challenge scenario
Views: 567   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 20, 2012 1:39pm
by John Manning
Accomodtion in Dornie
If.....then we'll set off from Dornie. Any recomandation for B&B or Guest House? Willem
Views: 552   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 20, 2012 1:01pm
by Bryan Waddington
r
Robert
Cougie Lodge
Is Cougie Lodge (www.cougie.com) still open and offer accomodation. The email address on the web site does not work anymore?
Views: 521   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 20, 2012 10:58am
by Humphrey Weightm...
Nearly there - but is there .............................................
............A pub in C*ck Bridge - still? .............. and open! .............A campsite near the Feughside Inn?.............. and open! (Didn't remember: I can't swear on these posts - so it's that Bridge
Views: 605   Replies: 11
Last Post: Nov 20, 2012 9:47am
by Gordon Green
Newtonmore Hostel - Challenge Special
Well it looks like many a living room floor is covered in maps as Challengers plot and plan their routes. We're offering the same special Challenge rate of £15 per person and a free cuppa for any Challenger whether staying with us or just passing through. Las...
Views: 584   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 19, 2012 11:05pm
by Ali Ogden
Wild camping spots - advice for a newbievirgin.
Old time challengers may smile at the lack of knowledge and naiviety of a first time challenger with limited Scottish experience. I have sorted out the line of my route (I think). It is pretty straight forward and I am sure old timers might think it lacks challen...
Views: 775   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 19, 2012 11:30am
by David Williams
j
Joy
Need some techie help
Tried to download route sheets from John's site but it says link is broken. Then I downloaded from the resources page but the route sheet won't allow me to put the cursor in the information boxes. Never had trouble in previous years. Must be doing something wrong,...
Views: 566   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 16, 2012 8:39pm
by Robert
A log burning iPhone anyone?
In case anyone missed it, I loved this wonderful combination of low and high tech from the USA. The BioLite Campstove I wonder if we'll see any on the Challenge next year?
Views: 620   Replies: 10
Last Post: Nov 16, 2012 7:33pm
by Andrew W
DOWNLOADABLE ROUTE SHEET etc
Download the Route Sheet and other docs via the link below folks – this is a temporary measure until Newsquest makes them available on the formal site, hopefully before May JOHN MANNING'S BLOG The zipped folder that will automatically start to download...
Views: 330   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 15, 2012 8:56pm
by John Manning
l
Louise
Views: 1648   Replies: 45
Last Post: Nov 14, 2012 9:31pm
by Andrew W
Downloadable route sheet, admin form etc
Hi all, The docs – the Route Sheet, Event Details & Planning Notes, Admin Form, Spring Gathering form and an explanation of the revised Standby List system – should all be available soon from the Resources page (see link above). Please don't be temp...
Views: 645   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 13, 2012 8:34pm
by Andrew W
mister postman
the envelope was in my mailbox this morning at 10.00 oclock many thanks to the royal mail and the belgian post service...
Views: 397   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 12, 2012 11:32am
by marc.kevers
Six months and counting...
Six months today until the 'off'... Just sayin'
Views: 600   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 10, 2012 11:37pm
by Andrew W
The letters are on their way!
Whew… Two days of stuffing envelopes – and they're finally in the post. Second class, to save a few sheckles, so they should land on doormats Tuesday/Wednesday in the UK. Overseas applicants will receive an email around the same time. All the docs ...
Views: 456   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 10, 2012 7:31am
by Theo
Stuffed!
… envelopes, that is. 300 of them. They'll be in the mail in the morning, second class (being realistic!). Good luck folks. … and no emailing/calling for advance news! One lucky chap has his envelope already … but will he tell?!
Views: 656   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 9, 2012 3:46pm
by chris yapp
Scotland The Wild???
The future for the Challenge and generally for walking in Scotland looks gloomy and quite depressing. If you wonder what it´s like to walk in the shades of windfarms follow the link below: http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=vi...
Views: 597   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 8, 2012 6:19pm
by Andrew W
Beinneun Wind Farm
Yesterday, Fergus Ewing, the Scottish Minister for Tourism (oh, he's also the Minister for Energy as well) approved the Beinneun Wind farm, which will be just to the north east of the Tomdoun Hotel. It will link up with the existing Millenium wind farm, creating a...
Views: 393   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 7, 2012 10:17pm
by Andrew W
j
Joy
Challenge 2013
Has anyone had THAT envelope yet? How many entries were there? Is there to be a draw? When will everyone know? Been away so might have missed this info. (I knew I'd be the one to ask this with everyone else practising polite restraint)
Views: 803   Replies: 12
Last Post: Nov 6, 2012 12:54pm
by Lindy Griffiths
The Cairngorms in Winter
Chris Townsend has joined forces with Terry Abraham on a Kickstarter project to film "The Cairngorms in Winter". You can find out more about the project by clicking on this link: The Cairngorms in Winter
Views: 362   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 4, 2012 1:12am
by alan.sloman
Scottish Reunion
Thanks Les and Issy for a great weekend in Fort William.
Views: 1025   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 3, 2012 6:45pm
by Martin B
r
Robert
Re-supply & Refreshment Stops
Has anybody loaded all the various re-supply and refreshment points into a GPX file. I was going to do this but if it has already been started I will tag along. Thanks Robert
Views: 939   Replies: 13
Last Post: Nov 2, 2012 10:25am
by Mr. Grumpy
I've ticked "The Big One".
Hi to everyone who attended the reunion. Thanks to Issy and Les - a great night. Best wishes to Janet - I won't say anymore. Yes the weather was nice on Friday and Saturday, but Sunday was ssoooo different. Mist and rain on the bottom and a BLIZZARD on the top...
Views: 437   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 1, 2012 8:02pm
by Les & Issy
B & Bs Inverness
Never been on this before but having just left my poles in The Alexandra it has come in useful. See that Ali is looking for a B & B in Inverness and I am too - but one with a socket for my hair-styler please. Any ideas?
Views: 331   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 31, 2012 7:01pm
by Allen & Fran Mel...
B&Bs in Inverness
I guess we are all aniously awaiting the outcome of Sierra's draw. While I wait I've been pondering accomodation in the event of a nice fat envelope arrive on my doorstep in the next few days. Normally there are a limited number of places to stay in any Chasllenge to...
Views: 441   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 30, 2012 1:03pm
by ness64
POLES
DEAR LES AND ISSY, VERY MANY THANKS FOR SUGGESTION TO BRING THE POLES TO DUFTON. THERE'S A GOOD CHANCE THAT SOMEONE CAN BRING THEM NEARER.....OR EVEN TO NEWCASTLE AS MY SON GOES UP ALMOST WEEKLY ON BUSINESS. I WILL TELL THE ALEXANDRA TO HAND THEM OVER TO YOU.....M...
Views: 312   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 30, 2012 11:29am
by Smiler
Snow
From where I'm sitting it looks a beautiful day, clear blue skies and cold. I hope the weather in FW for the Challenge meet is just as good with an added helping of snow on the tops. Enjoy the weekend sorry we could not make it up north to be with you.
Views: 451   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 29, 2012 11:48pm
by Jean Turner
Hurricane
This hurricane now hitting our East Coast and Bowie reminds us of the 2012 Challenge- relentless rain and gale force winds. We are hunkered down studying our OS maps. So far we still have power. Thank you Stuart and Maria, for thinking of us.
Views: 275   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 29, 2012 11:00pm
by Phyllis and Lou
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31