​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Glen Tromie - Dalriach footbridge

Help please, for a (possibly over-anxious) first-timer. Rather than cross the Tromie at the Lodge, coming from Ruthven, I thought it might be more interesting to cross at Dalriach footbridge (NN753923). Can I access this from the moors to the north, or will I be faced by miles of deer fence?
Thank you,
Chris

Re: Glen Tromie - Dalriach footbridge

It's a few years since I've been that way, and memory is a bit vague. I think I recall just one deer fence on the moor after the end of the track by the Allt Ghuibhais. There are a couple of fences near the bridge, but with open gates.

Anyway, I had no problems in 2007.

Hi - have a look at http://www.geograph.org.uk - there are useful photos there
that should help.

Enjoy the planning!

Thanks Phil and Laura. My concerns are largely quieted! I hadn't come across geograph.org before, so thank you for that - it should make planning even more fun, and a lot slower!
Chris

You've probably come across this one already, but if not, it can be quite useful. http://wtp2recorder.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm.
Enjoy your planning!

Just to confirm that bridge was still there and looking good in March this year. I also found a couple of good wild camping spots in the glen not far north of that bridge.

Louise, Kirsten,
Thank you both. The wild camp info is useful as I haven't yet got round to firming up sites for my overnight stops.
Chris

Hi Chris,

You are on sacred grond here:

You just found the mysterious "Comyn's Road" Normally it is hidden deep in history.

Rolf

Hi Rolf,
Sorry I haven't responded to this sooner, but I thought the thread had come to a natural end. Thanks for the info. It would give me an interesting variation to my route in an area I'm just getting to know. However, the Challenge is the Challenge, and for my first trip I want to keep things simple. However, I have to say the idea of returning with my tent and exploring in that area appeals. Thanks too for the link.

Chris