​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Eastern Cairngorm FWAs

I have plotted a route through the eastern Cairgorms from Glenmore Lodge to Ballater via Ryovan Pass, Strath Nethy, Loch Avon, River Avon, Builg Burn, River Gairn. The idea is to climb Ben Avon and maybe Beinn a' Bhiurd if the weather is good enough and stay in the Glens if the weather is bad.

The question is whether my base route requires an FWA. It goes over 800m above Loch Avon. Also if I do my high route I will need to ford the Avon, probably at Fords of Avon NJ 042 031. How fordable is it?
Alternatively, do the bridges marked further down at NJ 098 061 and NJ 126 058 exist?

thanks

John

Re: Eastern Cairngorm FWAs

Hi John,

I went roughly this way in 2012 as FWA instead of traversing the Cairngorms. I left Strath Nethy at about 052071 and went to Faindouran Lodge,max height on the way was about 650m, thence east along the Avon and south down the Builg then east again along the Gairn. The bridges you refer to were there then but I did not inspect their condition as they were not immediately by my main track. Despite the dire weather it was an attractive route.

The Fords of Avon have been fine the few times I have passed that way.

I did a similar route last year, but went over Creag Mhor. The Fords of Avon are fairly deep and fast running, and wide! - but lost of walkers go that way to get to Inverey. In very wet conditions or with lots of snow melt, though, they could be impassable - in which case you'd go to Faindouran I suppose.

Thanks for the responses.
Kirsten, your route looks to be the best short cut down Glen Avon. Probably the "easiest" way in very poor weather.

and thanks for the tips on "Fordability of Avon" I suppose I won't know until I get there:)

cheers

John

hi john, Kirstens advice is good.The A'n though is not short.I camped in Strath Nethy 2009 in the hurricane or similar,camped in Builg, reached Ballater next day.i would suggest you post your route in AsSoonAs to get the opinion of a vetter.They can best help you,and allow time to modify,if necessary.i planned Fords of Avon last year and abandoned the idea at Aviemore with snow and managed a 6th crossing because the weather eased eventually at Braemar.

There were four of us agreed to walk together to the Fords on the second Friday last year, in case there were difficulties. The weather was awful, horizontal sleet and snow and we expected the Fords to be tricky, but in fact just tripped across with ease. You won't know till you get there, so have a plan, we were perhaps just lucky.