​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
mallaig - inverie

Hi all

Challenge virgin here so probably be on with loads of questions before we go.

Just wondering about the mallaig - inverie ferry. As mallaig is a popular jump off is it adviasable to book the morning ferry or will we all be able to cosy up and squeeze on?

Re: mallaig - inverie

I'm also intending to travel on Bruce Watt's ferry to Inverie. The thing to do is to visit the ferry office the evening before travel and book your place then. The ferry can take a lorra lorra passengers and their ruckscks.
The ferry office is in the harbour - er, well, not actually IN the harbour, obviously...

Hi,

Last year(2012) I booked the ferry by phone about three months before the kickoff.

They just took details and payment was on the ferry.

I got the Seabridge ferry which had the advantage of leaving at 09:30 before the main herd departed, on the slightly later ferry, run by Bruce Watt.

The boat was well patronised by other challengers, one advantage or disadvantage was that the pub in Inverie was not yet open, so no conflict of choice.

A great start to a real adventure.

All the best.

The other advantage of the Sea Bridge ferry is, I believe, that it runs 7 days a week so will be useful for Saturday starters.
http://www.knoydartferry.com/timetable/

I was wondering the same thing but planned to call them and ask nearer the time.

Definite Bruce Watt for me - I first travelled to Knoydart with the original Bruce Watt when I was 5 in 1956! And a pint+burger in the Old Forge is a good start to the fortnight, whatever the weather.

Ian

As another challenge virgin many thanks for the extra info here.

I've finally plumped for a Knoydart start. Never been there before unless you count a drive to Kinlochhourn (back in in the seventies!) and an incredibly wet day doing geology in Glen Dessary (also in '70s)

Despite some Googling I had not spotted the Sea Bridge option. could make my travel plans more feasible as I'm coming all the way from the soft south of England by train.

cheers
John