​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Laggan Stores

An article in this week's Oban Times claims that Laggan Stores will be closing down at the end of this month. The present owner intends to sell it, "but not as a going trade".
Bad news for anyone who was planning to replenish supplies or forward a parcel drop.

Re: Laggan Stores

We only have to get to Newtonmore from there, so it's not too much of a problem for us - except that our previous shop would be Spean bridge. Its a poor do, though... (last five words best said in a Lancashire accent)

Knipe,

EEEEE, bluuuuuuuuuuuudy ell, is that the way one should pronouce stuff like wot this is, and were would one buy one's pies if Laggan were to close, one asks- one could be tempted to take a punt and buy it? (Speyside & Badenoch that is)

charles n cam

It's very sad for the local community as well as Challengers that the Laggan stores is closing. In the past Laggan has been a little Challenge oasis with the well stocked store, the Pottery Bunkhouse and the Monadhliath Hotel. The bunkhouse unfortunately now only takes group booking so may not be available to Challengers this year. The Monadhliath Hotel changed hands in October. We'll pop in for a drink and a natter with the new owners over the festive season and see if they will take resupply parcels. We will of course take parcels at Newtonmore.
Sue & Ali
Newtonmore Hostel

I've just this moment spoken with the Laggan Stores to thank them for their sterling service and wish them well in the future. The current owners only bought the property in March of this year - and prior to that it had been on the market for over two years.

I called by at the beginning of November with Andy Howell, and we devoured large numbers of pies and had a great time - and then used the very wonderful local Woman Of The Taxi to make our way to Ali and Sue's gaff.

I live in a rural area in the Scottish Borders, and I know how hard it it for an independant retailor - even one offering so many additional opportunities such as Laggan Stores - to make a go of it. Even though they were happy to deliver for free for orders over a certain amount, the simple fact is that that a combination of aggressive marketing by on-line retailors and a limited year-round local demographic makes for extremely harsh conditions.

I fully understand those Challengers who send supply parcels - but would also urge you all to support the local economy wherever possible according to your means.

I agree with all of wot Humphrey said (specially the bit about the pies.) Be aware that sending food parcels not only smacks of third world walkies, but also ties you to a route which loses you a lot of flexilbility. Use the shops, hotels, pubs and garages. Its cheaper anyway and you can have lots of fun with a tin of stewed steak and some smash.

I agree with Humphrey and Mike. I was astounded to see a HUGE pile of parcels waiting for Challengers in Dalwhinnie a few years ago. I had assumed that a few people sent parcels to help with special dietary needs or other "genuine" [IMO] reasons, but this pile seemed to suggest that I was the only Challenger who was resupplying from shops/caffs/pubs along the way. I'm a Veggie, and even we fussy eaters can find /something/ to eat from the local shop. Not knowing what you're having for your tea is all part of the fun!

It's a real shame about Laggan Stores. I've eaten there on two crossings and it's a pity it probably won't be there next time I pass that way.

Please - Is your parcel /really/ necessary?!

Right on Judith and Mike. You've opened up what to my mind is a significant dialogue. Of course amongst some three hundred participants there are those who have specific needs - they may be coeliac, gluten-intolerant, vegan or have other requirements that they feel cannot be met wherever they choose to travel, be this in Scotland or other countries. They are absolutely right in ensuring that their needs are met, and there is a long history of locales accepting supply parcels.

Some of us choose to make an entirely self-sufficient journey, carrying all material for two weeks. And I myself took such a trip into the High Pyrenees last year, when I knew that it would be absolutely impossible to buy food for a period of ten days.

This simply is not the case in Scotland. There is no part of the country further than 15km from a road, and within the Challenge region the maximum distance between a store is no more than three days. Those of us who choose to go for remoter routes understand full well our needs, and are prepared to carry sufficient material.

This thread began with the sad notice of the imminent closure of the Laggan Stores. These enterprises are the very heart and soul of rural communities, and should be supported by all of us.

Mike brings up the uncomfortable phrase "Third world walkies". But he is right on the money, and I commend him. Route-planning predicated on mailing food parcels is, to my mind, deeply patronising and shows a scant respect for the Highland economy.

I thoroughly agree about supporting local buisneses but don't be too hard on Challenger's who send themselves parcels as not all are stuffed full of food. One of the greatest joys of the Challenge is opening my supply box to find a clean fluffy pair of socks - it's better than Christmas!

Thanks for the info
I was planning to buy food there ( if i get in of course )
Maybe the solution is to send a parcel to the hostel , stay if there are vacancies and just collect it if the hostel is full.

I hate fixed day booking .

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've made a point of stopping here as a customer a few times since the TGO to support this place, whose owners were so helpful and pleasant. I'm surprised there isn't the trade to keep it going as it has always been busy when I've been in.

Yes, Laggan Stores is closing - sadly :( However, we here at Kincraig Stores are happy to take help with the TGO Challenge as we did last year if you need us.

Can recommend Kincraig Stores - well-stocked and friendly.
Would it be possible nearer the time of the Challenge to have the store's opening times posted on this message board?

Incase I forget nearer the time, I am sure we will be back to normal trading hours by the TGO Challenge. These are 7am-6pm Monday to Friday, 8am - 6pm Saturday and 8am-1pm on Sunday. Our opening hours will always be available on our website www.kincraigstores.co.uk. I don't know if Roy Bridge is also on your route - they are closing down too :(

Yes, I would agree with that. Kincraig Stores well stocked
and helpful any time of the year.
As was Laggan of course. Cheers.