​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shenachie Ropeway

I thought I would like to cross the Findhorn at Shenachie using what is described on the map as a "Ropeway".
Research now tells me that this is a hand driven mechanical device where the passenger is transported in a cage, self-powered by turning a handle? whilst suspended 15' above the river on parallel wire ropes which are supported on either bank by a flimsy looking wooden structure!. As if that wasn't bad enough, the option of continuing to a more sensible crossing point close to Quilichan involves a hair-raising traverse through a narrow gorge before a decent track can be reached some 3km downstream.
I would be interested to hear any accounts of successful completions of either option.

Re: Shenachie Ropeway

Dave,

Firstly I must warn you that this epic crossing should only be attempted by the very spunkiest of Challengers and even then only those with the very strongest of insurance policies.

I did the crossing on GOC '08 after coming down from Inverness via the Wade Road and Moy and arrived at the ropeway at about 1800 hours just as couple of fishermen were packing up. After a chat about the Challenge they agreed to help me get across. This involved climbing into a tiny wooden cradle just big enough for me and my pac. On the word go, some mechanism was released and I went into free fall (which made the recent Austrian chap's space jump look like childs play), supported only by two thinish wires and quickly accelorating to some incredible speed before abruptly coming to a swinging, swaying grindng halt suspended mid-stream , 20 feet above the fast -flowing river.The fishermen then used some sort of handle to laboriously "winch" me up from the lowest point of sag in the wires to the other side. If I recall correctly the mechanisms on the banks are not locked but I would imagine that it would not be possible get across without help from either bank. I don't think, again if I recall correctly that it would have been possible to haul oneself uphill from the mid-sag point.

That said, many years ago when I was a t'lad on t'hill I remember proceeding through the gorge on the west bank and staying low level along the river to Daless. On the 2008 trip I specifically reccied the gorge from the E bank, N of the ropeway and considered that it was still, probably, possible to get through it.

I know that that very spunky lady Challenger, Jean Turner has used the ropeway and will probably tell you that it is an abslute doddle - no doubt she will comment at some stage.

See you for a pint in Montrose,

Colin