​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Foul weather alternatives getting from Kinloch Hourn to Glen Affric

I'm a first-timer looking at the feasibility of including Knoydart and Glen Affric in my route. From Kinlochhourn there is a choice of ridge or Glen walking depending on the weather. It looks like the only relatively low level route is up the Easter Glen Quoich burn and keep heading east for about 6km 'til I can round the east end of Creag a' Mhaim and onto a track that goes to the Cluanie Inn. Are there any feasible bad weather crossing points over the Cuanie Forest ridge? I've looked at the Bealach Duibh Leac (which takes me a long way down Glen Shiel) and there also is a route over the col [GR990 109] between Sgurr Beag and Creag nan Damh but I wonder what it would be like in really bad weather - and would it qualify as a TGOC FWA?

Many thanks

John

Re: Foul weather alternatives getting from Kinloch Hourn to Glen Affric

Re your FWA possibilities, I don't think there is a safe alternative to the ones you have already found. My suggestion is to forget trying to do both Knoydart and Glen Affric, and instead enjoy the wonderful routes through the heart of Knoydart, perhaps past Sourlies and Glen Dessary, maybe cutting through to Glen Kingie. Otherwise, just go for Glen Affric from one of the start points further north, like Dornie or Strathcarron. Whatever you decide, hope you have a great time!

Re: Foul weather alternatives getting from Kinloch Hourn to Glen Affric

Hi Merrylegs, thanks for responding.
I'm still at an early stage of planning my route so thanks for your advice. At the moment I'm stringing together a few places I haven't been before with some I want to go back to. When I've added it all up it will probably be too long and something will have to give!
thanks

John