​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dornie Start

Hi

I will start at Dornie, walk east to River Elchaig, then camp on the Eastern Shore of Loch a Bhealaich after visiting The Falls of Glomach.

Is there a good camp site in that area?

Are the 2 bridges at NG968278 and NG009270 still there?

How are the river crossings if the weather is like “Strom Sunday” this year?

William

Re: Dornie Start

Hi William,

I went over the first bridge you mentioned this year. And I talked to some others who went over the second one you mentioned (actually NH009270). (I am 99% sure they didn't ford the river). The others were really wanting to go over the bridge at 996268 but we never saw any sign of it.

As for Storm Sunday this year you just have to accept that any route is likely to be badly broken. Those conditions were very exceptional and you can't truly plan for it - FWAs tend to be low level which is where the water collects! There were difficult streams around that day that don't even appear on maps - I was lucky and found somewhere safe and dry and stopped earlier than I had planned. The only thing you can really do is have enough slack in your route that you can catch up over the next day or two.

Colin.

A few years ago I also had intended to cross at NG968278 but saw no sign of the crossing or the path. The bridge at NH 008269 is in position, the path up to the Falls of Glomach could be tricky in bad weather.

Hi Roger,

Things have just got confused. That was the bridge I indicated that I went over. I hope you have just typed the wrong map reference.

Colin.

Mea maxima culpa

Confused references again!

The crossing/path I couldn't find was at NG996268

Hi

Thanks for the info. I now have the first 5 days set with distances, etc and am working on the last bit. See you in Montrose .

Cheers

William