​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Torridon accommodation
Can anyone suggest affordable accommodation in Torridon? The SYHA is full (of Challengers probably!) and all other accommodation I've looked at is very pricey. There are 3 in our party and we'll be walking into Torridon on the Wednesday, ready for the big 'off'...
Views: 472   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 10, 2014 10:30am
by John J
Cougie Lodge Update
Hello all, Ive just got off the phone to a lovely lady at Cougie Lodge and was told that due to a recent and serious health diagnosis, she said she was unable to take/fulfil any bookings for TGOC people passing through. She mentioned that she loved opening her...
Views: 461   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 9, 2014 11:09pm
by EvanandEarth
To ski or not to ski
As the great day grows ever closer I've been paying special attention to the weather forecasts for the Cairngorms, snow above 500 meters ,rain at low level falling as snow over 400 metres, high winds and blizzard conditions etc etc .Should I be investing in an iceax...
Views: 400   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 8, 2014 10:53pm
by Charlie
Route Revisions Please
A number of requested route revisions are outstanding (some dating back as far as November…) The Vetter Release Programme will be going ahead as schedule at the end of this month – the vetters will be released from captivity into the wild, where it is...
Views: 460   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 8, 2014 9:58pm
by Bill Howden
PHD Spring Sale
Whilst I've previously let folks know about the walking gear in Lidl etc, I've decided to go upmarket and let you know that PHD gear are getting ready with their Spring sale. Mmmm - PHD kit - not shiny but very light and oh so warm. A few more shekels than average...
Views: 374   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 6, 2014 10:38pm
by HMP3 Weightman
Braemar General Store
Hi, Anyone know if the General Store near the butchers will be open for business in May? It was closed up last July when i was there. Cheers. Barry.
Views: 527   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 5, 2014 3:37pm
by Barry Turton
Lunan Bay Cafe
Just came across these opening hours for anyone promising themselves a good nosh once they arrive: http://www.lunanfarms.co.uk/id29.html I remember the disappointment I felt when the tea shop had closed in St Cyrus, so forewarned is forearmed. I'm OK. I finis...
Views: 665   Replies: 10
Last Post: Mar 5, 2014 8:14am
by Louise
Challenge HQ
Apologies to those who've emailed me in the last few days and not had a reply… have been away from my desk but am working through a small backlog today. Many thanks for your patience. J
Views: 398   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 2, 2014 9:40am
by John Manning
Postage Rates
Postage rates are increasing again at the end of this month. From the Royal Mail: The price of a 1st Class stamp will increase 2p to 62p. A 2nd Class stamp will increase by 3p to 53p. The price of a 1st Class Large Letter stamp up to 100g will rise by 3p to 9...
Views: 382   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 2, 2014 9:35am
by John Manning
Getting to Torridon
I am getting the sleeper train to Inverness, then I think what I need to do having done a bit of internet research, is get a Train to Strathcarron at 10.58 arriving at 12.43pm, then there is a mini bus service to Torridon arriving about 1.45pm. Anyone else got a sim...
Views: 488   Replies: 7
Last Post: Mar 1, 2014 8:27pm
by Martin Angell
Free Train Ticket (Edinburgh - Inverness)
Hi Folks, The free ticket is for 1 senior rail card carrier (oldies) on Friday 09 May 14, departing Edinburgh (Waverley) at 13.35 arriving Inverness 16.54. Please contact me if interested.
Views: 269   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 28, 2014 11:53am
by Geoff Tipler
Vaude power lizard
has anyone got any experience/thoughts on the Vaude Power Lizard SUL 1-2P Tent thanks, Russ (sent from Somerwet the inland sea formally known as Somerset)
Views: 502   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 26, 2014 3:09pm
by Russ Manion
s
Shewie
FS: ULA Ohm 2.0
Just having a clearout and thought you folks might be interested in this before it goes to ebay. ULA Ohm 2.0 Standard build with no mods or extras Medium torso Medium hip belt Only used for two winter trips to the Cairngorms so still in A1 condition. I used...
Views: 475   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 26, 2014 1:11am
by Shewie
Possible Morar accommodation?
I'm looking for somewhere to stay in Morar. If I get off the train at 1736 then I will walk to the campsite (which is now the sign-out point) but if my train gets in at 2328 then I will want to stay locally. Rural Scottish postcodes cover huge distances so I am h...
Views: 489   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 25, 2014 1:02pm
by DohaJim
Bruce Watts ferry to Inverie
The 9.03 train from Glasgow to Mallaig on the 9th May now arrives in Mallaig at 2.10. I have spoken to Bruce Watts ferry services and they have agreed that on the 9th May The Western Isles ferry will sail at 2.30 instead of the scheduled time of 2.15 so as to give u...
Views: 567   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 25, 2014 12:01am
by Charlie
c
cathy
Vertigo
Anyone like me who suffers badly form vertigo and wants to train up? Look at outdoorsmagic.com. Scary hikes. It caused me to fall off my chair. especially the first two and the mountain bikers route! The Alps- no problem. Cheers.
Views: 374   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 24, 2014 8:25pm
by Rod MacDonald
Advance rail fares released for Challenge start
The advance rail fares for week ending May 11 were released just now. Click here and get 'em while they're hot!
Views: 1150   Replies: 21
Last Post: Feb 24, 2014 4:21pm
by Judith
Paramo
Anyone looking for Paramo gear could do worse than looking at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ParamoeXtras where there is plenty of stuff going at very keen prices e.g Cascada jacket £119 inc free p&p.
Views: 421   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 23, 2014 10:22pm
by Mr Grumpy
Harvey waterproof map
I just got the Cairngorms one, i was surprised when weighting it : 93g ? I think i remember reading that they were lighter than OS 50:000 ones. My Os maps without cover weights only 82g.
Views: 401   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 23, 2014 1:02pm
by frederic
Train and Ferry bookings
I have booked the Glasgow Queens Street Station to Mallaig train journey and it appears I need to still wait a few days to book the return from Montrose to Glasgow. We are going up on the 8th to Mallaig and plan on taking the 12:45 ferry to Inverie... the count down...
Views: 388   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 23, 2014 8:59am
by Sandy
Caledonian Sleeper Sale
Oh yea. I guess most of you ingrates have bought yr sleeper tix - but Caledonian Sleeper have a Monster Sale on right now . . . Book tix by Feb 28. You want the link? Hey, I give you the link. Click right here.
Views: 323   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 22, 2014 4:17pm
by Martin Angell
2014 Newsletter
Evening all, Rather later than usual, the 2014 newsletter is now available to download. It should be on the magazine's Challenge resources webpage in the morning but for now you can download it from my blog which has just had its annual new post. Warning: there...
Views: 934   Replies: 22
Last Post: Feb 22, 2014 10:48am
by Mr Grumpy
Deadline tonight…
Deadline for the submission of 2014 Challenge routes is midnight tonight. Ten still to come (though the postie hasn't been yet for some reason) and only three folk have requested very slight extensions.
Views: 839   Replies: 14
Last Post: Feb 20, 2014 12:08am
by John J
p
peter
avimore resupply
hi managed to get a cheap room in a posh hotel in avimore for a scrub and feed :) but not sure they will,or i trust them ,to hold a parcel any other ideas ta peter
Views: 608   Replies: 11
Last Post: Feb 18, 2014 11:06pm
by John J
Getting to Mallaig
With only a couple of days until the cheap train tickets go on sale, I decided to put the rest of my "getting to the start" plan into operation only to stumble at the second hurdle. The cunning master plan involved Aberdeen to Kyle of Lochalsh on the train, stage...
Views: 538   Replies: 9
Last Post: Feb 18, 2014 12:45pm
by Louise
State of the Nation Feb 07
Routes have really slowed up now folks… still approx 41 routes to be received by midnight on February 15, which is only 8 days away. Many of those haven't been heard from since the October draw… hmm… Routes received: 175 (81%) Routes to be assig...
Views: 748   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 18, 2014 9:27am
by Simon S
Braemar Snowgate camera. We have a problem.
Doug, can you shin up the tree and fix it please :)
Views: 445   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 15, 2014 9:52am
by Sandy
TGO countdown clock
Does anyone know why the TGO countdown clock has suddenly lost its link to this message board? I have had it on my toolbar since 2012, and in the last few days it has stopped leading me here... http://countingdownto.com/countdown/57383
Views: 1005   Replies: 21
Last Post: Feb 14, 2014 9:23pm
by Jean Turner
Challenge Grub Orders Are Go!
Hi all you lovely Challengers! Just to let you know that you can now go ahead and order your comestibles for the Challenge at TGOC discounted prices, using the URL and code included in the Challenge notes. FYI, we were waiting for new stocks of flapjacks to com...
Views: 367   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 14, 2014 2:37pm
by Andrew Walker
s
sam
supply piont
Can any one help , are there any shops in gairlochy or maybe on the campite ? im not going into speen brigde , but turning north up the east side of loch lochy to glen gloy . Ive looked on the web sites . no joy cheers sam
Views: 620   Replies: 8
Last Post: Feb 13, 2014 8:46pm
by Judith
State of the Nation with three days to go for routes
Only three days to go until the deadline for route submissions folks… and still around 19 routes to be received. Oooh, it's getting exciting. A couple of folks have requested extensions which have been agreed… but a whole lot more haven't and we can't agr...
Views: 369   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 13, 2014 2:30pm
by John Manning
Camping in woods south of Loch Loyne
Hi, Can anyone recommend any good camp spots in the woods to the south of Loch Loyne (and NE of Tomdoun)? I plan to traverse the Munros of Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach before continuing east along the ridge to Druim na h-Achlaise and descending by the path...
Views: 618   Replies: 7
Last Post: Feb 11, 2014 11:26pm
by Andrew W
Withdrawal
Sadly for me but happily for someone on standby, I have today withdrawn from TGO14. Two reasons. First I can't afford the holiday time. I'm renovating a property in Dumfries & Galloway while I'm still in Qatar. I need all the holiday time I have to make sure the c...
Views: 649   Replies: 9
Last Post: Feb 10, 2014 7:32pm
by John J
To trailstar or not to trailstar?
I think I have read all the reviews, watched all the videos on youtube and searched this message board but still need more advice. My most recent single person lightweight backpacking tent is a golite shangrila 1. I am delighted with weight and packsize but less ha...
Views: 1136   Replies: 24
Last Post: Feb 10, 2014 12:23pm
by Louise
May Elections
The Local and European elections take place on the 22nd May whilst most of us are still heading for the east coast. If you are keen and want to cast your vote then you will have to apply to appoint a proxy to vote on your behalf. This also applies if you have a pos...
Views: 392   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 9, 2014 5:35pm
by HMP3 Weightman
Contours
I've finally filled in my route map,hopefully accurately but if not any advice on how to go about this manually (bit of a technophobe as my wife will attest from the screaming fits when I can't make head nor tail of something).
Views: 365   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 9, 2014 7:47am
by Andy Williams
Route deadline approaching
Just a wee reminder that the deadline for the remaining outstanding routes is approaching… midnight on Saturday, February 15 is the cut-off. Please let me know if you're struggling to meet that deadline; at the moment I know of no-one who needs an extension...
Views: 656   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 8, 2014 9:36pm
by Laura
Drumnadrochit cafe query
Is there a favourite Challenge friendly cafe/restaurant in Drum' serving good evening meals at sensible prices?
Views: 325   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 8, 2014 12:30pm
by stormin'
This is beyond a yoke!
If you see somebody with something strange on their shoulders, between their body and their rucksack, it might be me. If they are crying or shouting like a mad man, it's because this prototype has failed in it's bid of making wearing a rucksack less onerous. If the...
Views: 367   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 8, 2014 12:19pm
by Jean Turner
Snow in them hills
Last year we debated would the snow still be laying on the hills come May ? Some (I did) took micro spikes, and some even ice axes. Yet in the end the snow was gone before the Challenge kicked off bar some deep patches and on the very highest tops. Today this...
Views: 539   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 6, 2014 3:59pm
by Martin Rye
SPRING GATHERING 7th - 9th MARCH
Just a reminder that if you are thinking of coming to the Spring Gathering at the Snake Inn on the 7th - 9th March there are still some rooms available but these are going quickly. There is no problem at present with camping or the parking of campervans....
Views: 317   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 5, 2014 5:05pm
by Alan Hardy
River Cannich - advice please?
Please forgive me if this has been discussed: while languishing on the Standby List, I haven't applied the torture of the anticipatory buzz on the Message Board. But I heard a whisper that I may be nearing the top of that list.....!! - so I'm daring to contemplate...
Views: 421   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 3, 2014 10:39am
by Jean Turner
r
Ray D
Forthie Water
Just tinkering with my route and can see that I can save a km or two of tarmac bashing. Has anybody had any experience of crossing the Forthie Water at NO796796. According to the 25K map there is a FB at this point however I can not see anything on any aerial view...
Views: 481   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 2, 2014 3:12pm
by Jean Turner
Glen Lyon: North Chesthill Estate - Access problems
Over the years there has been an ongoing problem with denial of access to the hills by the North Chesthill Estate in Glen Lyon, in "Challenge territory." In an attempt to sort this out, the Mountaineering Council of Scotland has written to the local MSP, John Swin...
Views: 465   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 31, 2014 4:24pm
by Kirsten P
Trailstar Nest
I have a Bearpawwd Pyranet 1 (£80) and OookStar Trailstar nest (£150) for sale.Bearpawwd unused, OookStar nest 2 nights.Both have part ripstop and mesh walls and inverted T zip.OookStar nest has Chikara floor. Reason for sale? 2OookStar Trailstar nest orde...
Views: 670   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 31, 2014 2:37pm
by Barry Turton
Two Person Tent
Hi All, Not on Challenge this year, however maybe next!! However looking for a really good "lightweight" two person tent, either second hand or new (advice please) Hope to walk the West Coast Trail -- Vancouver Island July/August. Advice please!!!! Dou...
Views: 620   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 30, 2014 5:43pm
by julie harle
Family accommodation in Braemar
I plan to arrive in Braemar on Friday 16th May with my wife & 2 kids joining me for the Saturday night. Can anyone recommend anywhere to stay ?. Have checked Visitscotland etc without success.
Views: 587   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 29, 2014 11:26am
by Ian Sinclair
Lightspeed 50 & 60ltr pacs on sale
Go Outdoors have Lightspeed packs 50ltr on sale at £69 ..60Ltr at £80 (wild trek)almost half price
Views: 414   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 28, 2014 9:16pm
by Jerry Knights
Free mapping tool
Now some online mapping software firms want £5 a month to use them I looked for a free tool. Walk Highlands has a free GPX planner. Register to get 1: 25 000 scale maps to plot your walk, and it plots you ascent and all the information you need for free....
Views: 308   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 28, 2014 9:02pm
by Martin Rye
camping between Catlodge (near Laggan) and Phones Lodge
Many thanks to all who responded with suggestions for camping sites on Corrieyairack Pass. How about camping spots between Catlodge and Phones Lodge. Would appreciate any suggestiomns. David
Views: 327   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 28, 2014 6:10pm
by Colin Bennett
100 days to start !!!
Views: 402   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 28, 2014 9:32am
by alan.sloman
Rohan Elite rain jacket now £125 in sale
Anyone needing to replace a rain jacket? Rohan have a further 20% off sale items - including the Elite rain jacket, which I recommend highly after last years Challenge. Waterproof, light (330g), and good breathability. Indeed, it even displaced the Montane Litespeed...
Views: 374   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 27, 2014 10:51pm
by Dave
State of the Nation Jan 27
After the mad rush by some to get their routes in before the first deadline, things have quietened down a bit. If your route's complete, please don't sit on it waiting for it to grow legs … send it in and we'll have it vetted as soon as we can so you can g...
Views: 368   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 27, 2014 2:18pm
by John Manning
Loch Ness Ferry details, 2014
TGOC Loch Ness Ferry Just confirmed with Gordon Menzies that the ferry will, all things remaining equal, be running as usual during the Challenge. The popular, Challenge-specific ferry service across Loch Ness will be run from Temple Pier, Drumnadrochit. Cross...
Views: 725   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 27, 2014 2:03pm
by John Manning
Camping on the Corrieyairack Pass
Hi! Does anyone know of suitable places to camp at the eastern end of the Corrieyairack Pass en route to Laggan?
Views: 643   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 26, 2014 11:03pm
by Jean Turner
Access difficulties at Ledgowan Estate: A route suggestion
If any Challengers are thinking of a Torridon start they might like to consider taking in a wild camp at Lochan Sgeireach, and then perhaps a stroll up Allt Gharagain onto Carn Liath and Carn Gorm. This route would take you slap bang through the centre of the Ledg...
Views: 1028   Replies: 16
Last Post: Jan 26, 2014 2:13pm
by Kirsten P
The Monarch Hotel, Laggan (the old Monadhliath Hotel)
For Challengers making their way over the Corrieyairack Pass or from the direction of Shesgnan: It appears from THEIR WEBSITE that the old Monadhliath Hotel, that became the Monarch Hotel, at Laggan is now only available when booked in entirety. That's a shame....
Views: 504   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 25, 2014 6:41pm
by Mike Knipe
Discounted rail fares for three or more
I know, I know. The Fever will be soon upon us! And a reminder that parties of three or more can avail of a 25% discount on rail travel. East Coast are our only nationalised train company, and facilitate bookings throughout the national network with no incrementa...
Views: 261   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 24, 2014 4:22pm
by HMP3 Weightman
m
Mike A
Tomdoun Hotel
Does anyone have any up to date information about the Tomdoun Hotel? When I went past on the CWT in 2012, the place was closed up, but there were signs of potential refurbishment. Having just checked the web, it appears to be reopening in 2014, but not certai...
Views: 1306   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 24, 2014 4:07pm
by Ken Brown
Hi Tec Zuuk
These amazing versatile shoes are discounted in Field & Trek. Limited stock :-)
Views: 1116   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jan 22, 2014 11:47am
by Martin Banfield
FWA the Lairig ghru
Just got my first attempt at a routesheet back with nowhere near as much red ink on it as I had feared .OK I did try to put the Fords of Avon down as a FWA and got slapped down for that, probably no more than I deserved .So now I'm stuck , I really want to stop at Co...
Views: 645   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 22, 2014 11:39am
by Martin Banfield
Cheap OS Maps
I live in Kilmarnock and the only place that sells camping equipment is closing because the owner is retiring (P R Torbet's Fishing Tackle shop): Everything is half price, so I got all my maps there and other odd equipment. I don't know what he'd charge for postage...
Views: 277   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 21, 2014 1:14pm
by Tony Sandy
Liver Flukes
I've heard that because this year has been very wet, it has meant liver flukes in sheep have increased dramatically. My question is, I know that it is a danger for people in the Far East, including China and Siberia but what precautions would I need to take, if takin...
Views: 611   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jan 20, 2014 1:53pm
by Martin Rye
Winter Watch
Winter Watch is coming from Mar Lodge this week (BBC 2 8:30). It may be the last chance some of you get to see Scotland in the wild as so much of it is disappearing under concrete and water. When planning your route I would suggest looking at Alan Sloman's blog for l...
Views: 394   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 20, 2014 11:43am
by Mr Grumpy
BHLARAIDH WIND FARM APPROVED
Today, the Scottish Government approved the Bhlaraidh Wind Farm. It's another very large wind farm smack in the middle of Challenge territory. It's location is just to the south of the Balmacaan Forest and to the north of the Levishie Forest. There will be 32 turbine...
Views: 797   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jan 19, 2014 6:04pm
by alan.sloman
State of the Nation, Jan 17, 2014
State of play, January 17, 2014. Routes received: 147 (68%) Routes to be assigned to vetters: 5 Bumped for pre-vet revision: 1 Being vetted: 29 Returned for post-vet revision: 15 "Good to go": 97 (45%) We're now into the busiest time of year for the vetter...
Views: 538   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 18, 2014 7:13pm
by HMP3 Weightman
Need New Maps?
Anyone out there needing new maps might like to check out the Dash4It website- some stonking savings - I've found their service to be excellent in the past. cj
Views: 765   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jan 16, 2014 8:14pm
by Phil Lambert
A Tock's Truly Tremendously Triffic Trekking & Travel Tip
You poor old wrinklies out there may be pleased to know that Scotrail have reintroduced the Clubb 55 travel promotion WEF 13th Jan running until the end of March. cj
Views: 559   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 16, 2014 6:11pm
by John J
BBC Winterwatch from Mar Lodge
I have just noticed that we are soon to be in for a treat: BBC's 'Winterwatch' is to be broadcast from Mar Lodge starting on 20th January. I find these programmes fascinating, and can't wait to see one broadcast from somewhere that I actually know! For anyone who...
Views: 509   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 13, 2014 12:58pm
by alan.sloman
Why attack the Challenge
It's sad when you read posts like this from a well known blogger which simply attacks the Challenge. http://tracksterman.tumblr.com/post/72850529116/the-alt-tgoc They are missing the fellowship, friendship and kindness that is the Challenge community, and hav...
Views: 1269   Replies: 20
Last Post: Jan 12, 2014 9:25pm
by Mike Knipe
Four months to go
I just thought I would mention that there's only four more months until we're sitting in The Old Forge at Inverie. There's the Christmas flab to lose now, before it's too late (which is the usual case.) I suppose if the flab isn't lost, we could stay in the pub...
Views: 499   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 11, 2014 1:51pm
by Andrew Walker
Monar Lodge camping
Can anyone advise of suitable camping spots in the area of Monar Lodge? We'll be walking W > E along the N shore of Loch Monar from Allt a' Choire Ffionnaraich towards Inchvuilt....but I don't really want to go that far in search of a nice pitch. Thanks in adva...
Views: 951   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 10, 2014 9:10pm
by Waldo
Boundary/watershed walk from Dalwhinnie
Hi all, We're thinking of doing this walk in the Cairngorms through to either An Sgarsoch, Glen Tilt or Carn Bhac as it looks like a good challenge &, weather dependent, fantastic walking (still deciding on our route into Braemar) and I know some of you have done...
Views: 622   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 10, 2014 12:06am
by Vicky G
Route Planning and Navigation iPhone GPS
I am from the US and this is my first crossing and my first time out of the US. I have been looking at possible routes recommended for 1st timers starting at Shiel Bridge. What mapping software for plannning the route and printing maps that has an iPhone app for nav...
Views: 948   Replies: 15
Last Post: Jan 9, 2014 10:03pm
by Andrew Walker
State of the Nation, Jan 8, 2014
State of play, January 8, 2014. Routes received: 118 (55%) Routes to be assigned to vetters: 0 Bumped for pre-vet revision: 0 Being vetted: 22 Returned for post-vet revision: 9 V2/3/etc routes awaiting vetters' approval: 2 "Good to go": 85 (39%) We're now...
Views: 421   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 8, 2014 7:05pm
by John Manning
Monadhliath FWA
Hi Recently had the email from John giving me the good news I'm in from the standby list. I had already started route planning and have gone for a more ambitious 2nd crossing, including going over the Monadhliath. I will be getting the ferry from Drumnadrochit and...
Views: 935   Replies: 13
Last Post: Jan 6, 2014 10:51pm
by Martin Angell
Milton burn leading down to Aviemore
Is there any reason why you can cut down through Milton Burn rather than the long walk down the Burma road to Aviemore?
Views: 507   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 6, 2014 12:20pm
by Frederic
Crossing the R Cannich
Just doing my final tweaks before sending my route off for checking: Does anyone know if there's a real bridge at NH254326? I'm hoping to cross to the LRT on the S side of the R Cannich - thus avoiding a bit of tarmac enroute to Cannich. It's not very clear on my...
Views: 504   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 8:34pm
by john donohoe
Travel Time
Any Glaswegians out there who can give me approx travel time by taxi from city airport to Anniesland coach stop about 9.45_am? Plane lands at 9.25am,coach leaves Buchanan St. 10.00am Anniesland 10.10.any feedback appreciated. Norm.avty
Views: 398   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 3:02pm
by john donohoe
State of the Nation, New Year's Eve… DEADLINE LOOMING
Many thanks to everyone who submitted their route in 2013 – I hope everyone else gets around to it in the first few weeks of next year! Here's the state of play as it stands just 'afore 3pm, December 31, 2013. Routes received: 95 (44%) Routes to be assig...
Views: 481   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 3, 2014 5:27pm
by John Manning
For your listening pleasure
Did you hear this? The Living Mountain "Robert Macfarlane undertakes a poetic pilgrimage to the Cairngorms, in a richly evocative programme inspired by Nan Shepherd's The Living Mountain"
Views: 389   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 2, 2014 7:54pm
by Vicky G
A Plea! Thinking of dropping out of the Challenge?
The Co-ordinator has very nicely reminded everyone to get their Challenge route sheets in to meet the new earlier deadlines. If you haven't even begun your route planning, ask yourself "Am I really serious about taking part?" Of course, you may have been frantical...
Views: 565   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 2, 2014 3:57pm
by John Manning
Wishing everyone a...
And a perfect fortnight in May
Views: 453   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 31, 2013 4:44pm
by Phil Lambert
Airlie Memorial Tower: Availability of phone signal?
Can anyone tell me if there's either Vodaphone or O2 phone reception at the Airlie Memorial Tower, please? Thanks Alan
Views: 746   Replies: 15
Last Post: Dec 28, 2013 8:36pm
by Andrew W
Worth looking into?
As an Individual member of the BMC I was able to get the benefits of proper insurance cover and discounts on purchases eg 15% at Cotswold Outdoors. When I joined the Over The Hill Club which is affiliated to the BMC (you get all the same benefits - but it costs...
Views: 433   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 26, 2013 10:50am
by Gordon Green
r
Ray D
Mid Hill Wind Farm - Fetteresso Forest
Has anyone have the latest situation with regard to passing through the Mid Hill Wind Farm at The Builg. It was my original intention to wild camp by the West Burn, but thats probably impossible now. Will stop short at / around the Heatheryhaugh area if anyone...
Views: 820   Replies: 10
Last Post: Dec 25, 2013 10:00am
by Willem Fox
Jock's Road
Morning all, Too many routes are being bumped unvetted back for the simple reason that they don't include a FWA for Jock's Road. It's requested in the Planning Notes and, in the interests of fairness to those who comply, no exceptions can be made. Merry bloo...
Views: 478   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 23, 2013 10:12am
by John Manning
p
PaulM
Haglof Tilta
Can anyone report on experience of Haglof Tilta waterproof? Uses Gortex Active. I've previously used Paramo but need to lighten-up. I've never got a good result with Gortex before - much too much perspiration. But my last Gortex jacket was bought around 10 year...
Views: 393   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 21, 2013 10:55pm
by Vicky G
Newtonmore Hostel - tea, coffee and homemade cakes
We can't believe this will be our 3rd Challenge at the hostel! Once again we'll be offering free tea, coffee and homemade goodies to Challengers passing through Newtonmore. It will be Ali and Sue's husband Neil wielding the kettle this year. Sue will be on the Cha...
Views: 464   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 21, 2013 4:53pm
by Marian Parsons
Police appeal to walkers over poisoned Glen Lethnot eagle
I'd urge all Challengers to be vigilant regarding incidents that may point to illegal poisoning and/or trapping. Here's a link for detail on the most recent instance. Click here to read more Many Challengers will know this area well - it's some 6km due south o...
Views: 295   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 20, 2013 4:21pm
by HMP3 Weightman
r
Rob
Route from Oban
Has anybody walked NE of Oban, I have planed my route but one area I am unsure about, its from Stob Gaibhre to Grianan it passes the River Ure goes straight across is it passable (without getting too wet I hope) grateful for any help.
Views: 548   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 20, 2013 6:30am
by Rob
More than a third of routes now submitted!
Many thanks to everyone who has submitted their route already. A few stats are in the State of the Nation thread but some emerging trends are worth mentioning (repeating) here in the hope that it helps folk prepare the perfect route. If you're among the 65 per cen...
Views: 308   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 20, 2013 12:02am
by John Manning
State of the nation
Afternoon all, Just to let you know where we're at with route submissions for those whom like to keep a tally (everyone needs a hobby!). To date we've received around 44 routes, or 20% of the total. To those who've already submitted, many thanks indeed. As t...
Views: 656   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 19, 2013 11:57pm
by John Manning
Fleece Gloves
Having larger hands than many women I have difficulty getting comfy fleece gloves to fit me, and have relied on a couple of pairs of favourites for years. I find those intended for men rather thick and 'clumpy'. Sadly, despite being hard wearing my old faithfuls were...
Views: 349   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 19, 2013 10:58am
by Lindy Griffiths
j
Joy
Crossing Rannoch Moor
I've always wanted to do this and am thinking about incorporating this in a future route. Are there any Challenge crossing reports which include this section that I could read? How bad is it in the section beyond the landrover track? How does it compare with - say...
Views: 430   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 17, 2013 6:52pm
by Joy
Ron Smith
Sadly, we have lost another Challenge Legend. Ron Smith died on 5 December aged 81. With his wife Joan he completed 10 crossings between 1981 and 2003; they also organised several Challenge reunions in Derbyshire. Ron was a great mountain stravaiger, leading walking...
Views: 431   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 17, 2013 12:29pm
by Joy
Views: 1872   Replies: 50
Last Post: Dec 17, 2013 12:16pm
by alan.sloman
Milk powder
For anyone who has muesli or porridge in the mornings wild camping: Nestle does a full-cream milk powder called Nido, much better than skim milk powder IMO. It's on offer at Tesco until 1 Jan, £3 instead of £3.79 for a 400g tin, which makes just over 3L of...
Views: 570   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 17, 2013 6:45am
by David Williams
a
Adrian
BBC highlands doc
Worth a watch,only a couple days left i think on i player One wild winter in the Scottish mountains- http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03l5lvh/One_Wild_Winter_in_the_Scottish_Mountains/
Views: 361   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 16, 2013 8:54pm
by Adrian
The Great British Kit Off
I was just thinking about kit....well, it was a welcome distraction from the flooded hallway, kitchen & lounge that greeted us when we walked into the house this evening! Last TGO I walked using the Osprey Tallon 44, which was fantastic. Even though I had overloa...
Views: 767   Replies: 16
Last Post: Dec 15, 2013 7:32pm
by John J
20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29