​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
To trailstar or not to trailstar?

I think I have read all the reviews, watched all the videos on youtube and searched this message board but still need more advice. My most recent single person lightweight backpacking tent is a golite shangrila 1. I am delighted with weight and packsize but less happy with getting in and out past the pole and cooking in bad weather - just not enough space for either. My previous was a laserlite (like laser comp) - pretty good but heavier and a bit faffy to pitch.

I have the opportunity to get a new tent/shelter for my birthday and was thinking of the duomid but keep reading so many people saying trailstar is roomier, more wind resistant etc. I love the idea of all that space and wind-shedding capabilities but we are all individual so I am still not sure if it would suit me. I would be grateful for comments on the following areas that worry me:

1. Getting in and out. I have a really stiff back and very poorly knees so like a bit of height.
2. Privacy - does it really feel OK without a door?
3. Security on official campsites. As with privacy, it's all a bit of an illusion but does not having a door encourage thieves more?
4. Groundspace - does it need so much that it cuts out all those little 1 tent-size spots in idyllic places?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any comments.

Vanessa

Re: To trailstar or not to trailstar?

Hi again, Vanessa. have you checked out the Nordisk Telemark 2 lightweight or ultra-lightweight, as described in recent TGO mag because it won one of the international awards?

Bob at Backpackinglight stocks them, and used one on the last Challenge so can give you lots of info. It's a 2-man full double-skin at about 880g, and pitches very much like the Akto (which I love dearly but am beginning, at my age, to find a tad heavy for humphing over Munros).

From what you say, height might be a deterrent for you, although I doubt it's any lower than the Laser you said was "pretty good". Mind you, it may not be any lighter either!

Have a great holiday - and birthday whenever it is.

Hi Vanessa,

I decided to buy an alternative to my Laser Comp last year. I bought a Duomid combined with an inner from Sean @Oookworks and was very pleased. Although I don’t have direct experience of the Trailstar, the Duomid has the advantage of being lighter and having both a smaller footprint and a door. There is some flexibility of pitching height, though obviously not in the same league as the Trailstar. Compared to the Laser, condensation is almost zero. Don’t be misled by the name, though, two people would find this tent pretty tricky in Scotland in May. One major disadvantage of the Duomid compared to the Trailstar is that it is more difficult to pitch on lumpy terrain. I haven’t pitched my Duomid on mountain tops, but I have been pleased with its stability.

Hope that’s helpful.

Hi Vanessa

I have just been through exactly the same purchasing decision-making process. Here are my thoughts:

I had a very happy relationship with Agnes, my Akto, (made by Maude Blomqvist, you know) on the Challenge from 1996 - 2006. Agnes tipped the scales at about 1.6kg and had a very cheerful ruddy complexion. She was however, not a large girl and, being six feet tall I began to find her diminished stature a problem in poor weather.

I abandoned faithful Agnes to hook up with an altogether sexier minx, Wanda, a Stephenson's Warmlite 2C. Wanda was far more accommodating and was a healthy 400 grams lighter and much stronger in turbulent times than Agnes had ever been. However, I over-worked the poor girl and eventually she buckled under the pressure of LEJOG and six Challenges.

On last year's Challenge I borrowed Sally Solomid, from Martin Rye, and we got along well. However she was a little too much like Agnes: Slightly too small for comfortable sleeping. She was however, an incredibly sturdy girl and certainly tough enough for any Challenge thrown in her direction. All up, she tipped the scales at a sylph-like 880 grams.

So this year I had the choice of a new partner to make. Eventually I had the choice down to three.

1} The new, larger, MLD Solomid (150mm larger in each direction on plan) coupled with an Oookworks inner, coming in at about 950 grams with heavy duty pegs.

2}The Tarptent Scarp 1: Basically, a roomier sturdier version of the Akto at about 1400 grams.

3} An MLD Trailstar with an OookStar inner, coming in at 1190 grams with heavy-duty pegs.

I had knocked the MLD Duomid out of the running quite a bit earlier in the process as I did not like the pole arrangement - It needs a pole extender or a very long pole. I didn't want to carry a separate pole and Bob Cartwright's ingenious pole extender wouldn't work with my flick-lock poles. I wasn't happy about the stability of MLD pole extenders in heavy weather, either.

In the end I decided against the larger Solomid because it meant buying new trekking poles 1450mmm long and I had bought new 1350mm poles only recently.

I decided against the Scarp 1 purely on weight considerations. It is an excellent very strong tent, and I was sorely tempted, as it is an amazingly good price for the package.

Then, having seen Barry Turton's offer of his Oookstar inner with Chikara floor and 1/2 mesh, 1/2 solid sides, I finally plumped for a Trailstar. The Trailstar is an incredibly sturdy piece of kit - I have witnessed complete failures of very reputable tents when the T/S stood its ground impeccably. I was also worried about the footprint size, But having walked last year with Andy Walker who carried the same Treeza Trailstar/OooStar combo, he didn't suffer any impossible problems with finding a pitch in quite difficult pitching areas.

Difficult Ground: Front to back: Solomid, Akto, Trailstar.

Of course, many Challengers don't bother with an inner with a Trailstar on the Challenge, but I prefer the security against the midges of an inner, and I want to be able to camp in all seasons. Not taking an inner would shave off about 400 grams, making the T/S an incredibly light package.

Doorway: Yes, the entrance is a little restrictive, but hooching yourself outside on your bottom works well. Of course, in fine weather the T/S can be pitched in all manner of configurations, so a very large door is possible. In foul weather I think it's a small price to pay for such a bomber shelter.

Privacy: With an OookStar inner with half mesh, half solid doors this shouldn't be a problem as you are effectively inside an inner tent at the rear of the shelter. Sean at Oookworks can also make you a door that fits the Trailstar nicely if you are not using an inner.

Security: Again, with an inner, or a door, this should not be a problem.

Footprint As I said earlier, it is a larger footprint, but a little casting about will always find you a spot. Remember, you are still only looking for a spot for the inner - the T/S will accommodate other lumps & bumps inside the porch area.

And then, there is a new kid on the block! The SilHexpeak

Only yesterday Martin Rye posted about this new hexagonal pyramid/inner combo about to be sold by Bob Cartwright, made in Europe (so no import taxes or VAT excess to be added) at an incredibly reasonable price (about half the Trailstar/OookStar combo price.) You can find out all about it and comparisons to other similar shelters at Martin's place HERE

As I see it, Vanessa, the clear advantage to you with the SilHexpeak is the very large door.

I hope this helps.
All the best

Alan

Like you, Alan, I also use poles that aren't suitable for a pole extender. I found this excellent method for pitching a Duomid (or any other mid height tent) using trekking poles from Colin Ibbotson.

I would very much recommend it - your poles are doubled up for most of the length of the support, and is adjustable and applicable to almost any poles.

Happy pitching!

Emma and Alan, thank you both so very much for your time and trouble. I found both sets of replies extremely helpful and it has given me a lot to think about. I use Fizan compact poles which are clearly problematic - worked fine on the shangrila 1 but that is very small. Will investigate the pole doubling and the one that Bob is about to sell before coming to a decision. Jean - thanks for your suggestion too, but I'm not sure it would meet my weight/space criteria. Hoping the route-planning is coming on well.
Vanessa

Vanessa, I have some Fizan Compact (3-section) poles and they should be fine with a Trailstar. If you want to use them for the Hex or Duomid, you can either use Colin's method to link them or you can buy a pole extender (i.e. Connector) from Bob at Backpackinglight.co.uk . I have used my Fizan poles connected with a BPL extender in my Duomid with no problems. Hope that helps.

Very interesting, Robin. Is that the 14mm or 16mm ones?

Alan, the sil hex peak is up on bpl today.
Vanessa

For my Fizan poles, it's the 14mm one.

What Al said ...

I have a Warmlite 2R, and also a Trailstar with Oooknest.

The TS does have a big footprint which on odd accassions can be awkward, but it is pretty bomb proof in bad weather.
And with the inner, is is really a shelter not a Tarp.

You can lower the door for some privacy, and also get a door from Oookworks that keeps most of the wind out.
To be honest, you would NOT be pitching it with the door into the wind.

With the nest it comes in at just over the 1kg mark, and pack easily no bigger really that a tent.

I keep the Outer in an outside pocket and the inner in the rucksack.

Having said all that the silHexPeak by Luxe From Bob does look like a cracking package at £159
This is inclusive of inner and pegs.

Apparently, they are going like HOT CAKES

The HH of the outer is only 2000, but I think that is no different from the TS.
Might be worth having the Tyvex Groundsheet if you are going to pitch on very wet ground, since the floor is 4000.

Goes with a standard pole and can be pitched at 130 or 135, which is a bit higher than the TS at normally 110 or 120.

Bob should give me discount for that pitch, or maybe a free groundsheet.

I am actually pondering one of these for the TGOC myself.

Re: To trailstar or not to trailstar - to silhexpeak

Many thanks for everyone's advice. My dearly beloved (especially dearly beloved this evening) has just waved his card in the direction of Bob and Rose, so decision made, and, Robin, I have left question of extension poles to Bob.

Still don't know whether I'll be on the Challenge (-4 at last count) or crossing your paths on CWT but I'm now back to training in Granada - there are a lot of hills here!

Vanessa

Good choice, Vanessa

This Message Board is a wonderful place.

We'll all keep our fingers crossed for you on the Standby List. It looks pretty good for you, doesn't it?

Hi Vanessa!
Had nothing to add to that discussion, but I'm sure that's good news about your place on the stand by list.

Everything crossed for you!

Louise x

Thanks, Louise, and wishing you a fair wind in all respects this time.

I am very philosophical about the outcome. If I don't get on it I can a) get a guaranteed place next year, b) get to do the part of the CWT up to Kinlochewe that I haven't done yet, c) do my route for that as and when d) take the Geology exam I'm supposed to be doing in Ullapool on 21st May.

So que sera ....

Vanessa

Yep good luck Vanessa, and with the HexPeak.

For the money, it looks like a cracker.

Now... What tent do I take????

How many have you got, Andrew??!!

I was too polite to ask! Mind you, David did look a little surprised when I said I wanted a tent for my birthday. As if we didn't have a few already .......

Jean Turner
How many have you got, Andrew??!!

Well, 4 if you count the old Macpac 2 person tent.

So, I have narrowed it down to 1 of 3 on the Challenge.

April trips to Cairngorms & Lakes pending to narrow it down further.

Well, I mean, you have to don't you.

I owe you an apology Andrew - I'm every bit as guilty. And here I was, eyeing up the Nordisk one that won prizes and was reported in TGO mag....

You can find a good review of the new SilHexpeak shelter in pretty dire weather by clicking
HERE

It looks amazingly good value for money. Bob & Rose should do very well with this little marvel!

Thanks for the link, Alan. With any new tent there needs to be a fair amount of faffing about till you get the hang of what works best, so I'll look forward to practising once I get mine. I'll also be interested to hear Bob's comments on the bent pole because,for me, a pole problem on a multi-day trip would be a serious problem, the aforementioned knees not being able to go downhill without support.

Hi Vanessa

I wouldn't be too concerned about the pole buckling in heavy weather. If you walk with two poles you can double-pole your pitch, using both poles side by side to support the flysheet. This is discussed in the comments section of the post I referred to.

It should be fine & dandy!

Thanks. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it once I get my hands on it. And I havve had the email from John this morning so am very very very happy!

That's excellent news!

Brilliant news Vanessa!! Look forward to catching up with you somewhere