​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vaude power lizard

has anyone got any experience/thoughts on the Vaude Power Lizard SUL 1-2P Tent
thanks,
Russ
(sent from Somerwet the inland sea formally known as Somerset)

Re: Vaude power lizard

Hi Russ

Had mine for three years now. Still like it, but not as much as when I first got it. It kept me safe during the May gales in the Cairngorms in 2012. It's never leaked. It doesn't like sunshine - the fabric seems to shrink and it puts a huge strain on the door zip if you don't realise what's happening and slacken off the guys. I have, in extremis, cooked in the porch with the door zipped shut, but it makes me very nervous. It's pretty easy to put up, though the poles need treating with respect. Condensation is not a deal breaker in my experience. For one it's brilliantly spacious (though the headroom's probably a problem if you're over 5'8"),but if my wife's with me it isn't used, though I believe that Bob and Rose Cartwright shared one on a recent Challenge. I have to admit that I have recently been seen looking thoughtfully at some of the tents/shelters that Bob has on his website.

Hope this helps

Chris

Mike and I manage fine with the Power Lizard, though we have to sleep head-to-tail! The two main features for me are the high water resistance of the groundsheet (water doesn't press through as it always can with our various Laser series tents), and the tensioning string inside the hoop pole, which has prevented the pole distorting on occasions when other tents have blown in and knocked the stove over.
We were on a photoshoot backpacking trip for Trail mag a few years ago, up in Assynt, and I was nearly set on fire as a result of a hoop pole inversion, even though Mike was supporting the Laser tent pole during some very stormy wipe-out gusts. (It would have helped if the gusts were always from the same direction!) Petesy had a prototype Power Lizard, and cooked inside the fly single-handed without a hitch, even though you couldn't stand up outside. Vaude have a great reputation for solid workmanship and easy pitching, so have a look at them.

Thanks Chris and Marian, just what I needed, a great help.
Russ