​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Transport to glasgow
Has anyone got room for 2 passengers with rucksacks in a car on the 8th or 9th? From Manchester or preston I can catch a train from glasgow This is the train strike problem
Views: 101   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 23, 2024 6:22pm
by Barbara sanders
Travel away from montrose Saturday 25th
We have to get back to our car at Acharacle the above day. A difficult expensive bus journey. Is anyone driving away from Montrose in the fort William direction that day with an empty one or 2 seats? Towards say Pitlochry, Newtonmore, Dalwhinnie Glencoe, Fort William.
Views: 77   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 23, 2024 9:00am
by Derek Goffin
Edzell By-Pass
My 1:25000 Map shows a partial path along the East Bank of the River North Esk from NO 600 709 to the demolished bridge. There are a few meters missing in the middle. Is this a viable route? I am trying to cut out as much of the long road as possible. Does...
Views: 151   Replies: 9
Last Post: Apr 9, 2024 5:00pm
by Brian Wade
Fundraising for Thames Hospice
Dear friends For the first time in 26 years, a name is missing from the TGO Challenge start list – that name is Alan Sloman. Many Challengers will have read Alan’s blog and will have met him in the hills or putting world to rights with a pint in hand....
Views: 109   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 6, 2024 9:17am
by Emma Warbrick
Just saying ....
Last year the 24th was a Wednesday ...... From my emails: "2019 TGO Challenge - you're in! Newtonmore Hostel ToNewtonmore Hostel & 1 more Show more 24 Oct 2018 at 13:48"
Views: 840   Replies: 13
Last Post: Oct 24, 2019 8:42pm
by William Burton
Vegan Meal Options in Kingussie?
I’m struggling in my researches to find somewhere in Kingussie that offers a modest choice of vegan evening meal that’s not highly spiced or a curry etc, nothing fancy, I’m happy with plain and simple! Ie baked potato, vegetables , vegan pizza etc...
Views: 383   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 24, 2024 9:22am
by Jenny Adamson
TentMeals & TGO
Hello all you amazing TGO Challengers! A note to everyone to let you know that TentMeals are happy to continue supporting you this year with 20% off for all participants. This applies to our full range of meals, snacks, breakfasts and 'make your own expedition...
Views: 120   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 14, 2024 11:09am
by Jessica Szekely
For sale: Western Mountaineering sleeping bag and Gossamer Gear Mariposa rucksack
Thinking of getting some new kit for the Challenge? I have a couple of things Challengers might be interested in. Postage negotiable! Western Mountaineering UltraLite Sleeping Bag Regular size (6 feet), full length zip, down collar, comfort limit -7°C, 860g....
Views: 88   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 10, 2024 4:01pm
by Emma Warbrick
Cape Wrath Trail
I am hoping to walk the Cape Wrath Trail but my wife is not happy for me to walk it alone. She thinks my age of 70+ is risky solo. Is there anyone out there or knows of anyone with similar ambition. I am a veteran of 11 TGOCs including 2023 and treks abroad. Contact...
Views: 627   Replies: 6
Last Post: Mar 5, 2024 12:10pm
by John Hooper
Pat Robertson
Some sad news - Pat Robertson died last week. Pat completed 11 crossing between 1994 and 2017. We have fond memories of her wit - and ever changing hair colour! She was cared for in her last few months by friend, and Challenge companion on all of her crossings, Julia...
Views: 144   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 27, 2024 11:50am
by Joy Thompson
Pronunciation Query
Can anyone offer a very simple phonetic pronunciation/point of emphasis of these place names please? I would dearly love to do them even vague justice instead of mangling them! Bealach Breabag Bhealaich Bheithe Loch an Danhaich Thanks!
Views: 112   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 23, 2024 6:05pm
by Jenny Adamson
Warm welcome in Glenesk for 2024 Challenge
Last year we enjoyed hosting several Challengers for breakfasts at the Glenesk Folk Museum Café in Tarfside. We also recommended the affordable hostel at St Drostans, as a place to stay in the Glen. This year, we can offer a full range of breakfasts, lunches and...
Views: 116   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 23, 2024 4:35pm
by Julie Cave
Mountain Trails
Has anyone ordered any dehydrated foods from the above company recently? I placed, and paid, for an order on February 1st. However I have not received any order acknowledgement nor delivery. Any phone calls to the number listed on their website do not get an...
Views: 126   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 14, 2024 4:20pm
by Adrian Wain
My challenge diary: Kilchoan - St Cyrus
Hi everyone Here is my Challenge Diary for 2018. This is the first time I have ever shared one of my holiday diaries online for people to read. It feels very strange allowing my own personal thoughts to be released onto total strangers, but I have made the deci...
Views: 1308   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jun 20, 2018 7:41am
by Bart Horeman
crossing Lagan dam
Can I cross the dam to East highland way? Or how about the rail brindge by Tulloch station? I'm trying to avoid the road walk to Lubilea. Thanks for any help! Paul M
Views: 169   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 8, 2024 1:04pm
by Rolf Kerkhof Mog...
Braemar footpath
Reviewing my route sheet before sending it off for vetting: does anyone know if it's possible to walk into Braemar from the campsite, avoiding the main road - ie by heading west, from the western side of the campsite, over the footbridge that's shown on the 25k map,...
Views: 134   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 2, 2024 5:39pm
by John Jocys
Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas everyone! We'll be focused on munching mince pies for the next few days with only an occasional glance at the Challenge inbox. Normal-ish service will resume on the 28th Dec, though we might be a bit sluggish replying to emails until 2024 settled in....
Views: 87   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 24, 2023 5:07pm
by Rolf Kerkhof Mog...
Maps
Our days of doing the TGO Challenge are over . . . we have the following OS Landranger (1:50,000) maps for free - just pay for postage. They have all been used, and are detached inside their covers (lighter that way!), but are in perfectly good condition. 23, 25, 26,...
Views: 179   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 16, 2023 9:03am
by Simon S
Geoff Moore of Heysham, Lancashire
A bit of a long shot: does anyone remember Geoff Moore, a Challenger who lived in Heysham, Lancashire? I think his last Challenge was in 2008, when he started in Dornie.
Views: 147   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 15, 2023 3:22pm
by John Jocys
David Towers
Elizabeth and the family have asked me to thank everyone associated with the Challenge who sent tributes, condolences and memories of David, whether via the message board, social media, individual correspondence, or in thoughts and prayers. He is now reunited with...
Views: 538   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 8, 2021 11:42am
by Graham Ball
Query re is Ralia Lodge to Ruthven possible?
I usually go into Newtonmore, but am musing with bypassing it in 2024. Does anyone know if there is a way through on paths from NN732 984 to NN757 993? Looking at the map and satellite imagery suggests it could be do-able, but I wonder if someone who has been that...
Views: 165   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 19, 2023 7:41am
by Lindy Griffiths
Camping around Loch Moy
Hi to all. Are there any good and legal wild camp sites around the western shore of Loch Moy? The one at Auchnahillin is too close to Inverness. I am going to either Carrbridge or Boat of Garten, via the cycle track, the next day. A lot of rain here for the...
Views: 489   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 16, 2023 11:21am
by William
Challenge photo report 2023
Hi all, At last I found some time to make a photo-film from my 2023 crossing (Lochailort to Portlethen) You can view it here
Views: 179   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 9, 2023 1:04pm
by Rolf Kerkhof Mog...
Escape Routes Strathfarrar 'four'
To others that have trod the route before: The day walker's routes I've found for these seem to start with the ascent of Squrr a Choire Ghlais via Coire Mhuillidh. What's difficult for me to judge, without local knowledge, is how feasible it is to find a descent...
Views: 133   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 7, 2023 9:38am
by Gayle
Safety heads-up
You would have thought that after the intense storms we've had in the last few years, there wouldn't be any trees left in NE Scotland prone to getting blown over, but walking the dogs this morning in a bit of woodland outside Stonehaven after the latest bad weather (...
Views: 145   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 23, 2023 12:32pm
by Brian Wade
FWA routes W of Loch Callater
For 2024 I'm looking to 'play' SW of Loch Callater , Glas Maol and the like with lots of options then SE. To make this work , my FWA would have to route from Lochcallater lodge , W over to Baddoch and then ascend alongside the burn and over to Gleann Taitneach. Seems...
Views: 187   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 22, 2023 6:33pm
by Andy Pinkard
Torridon 2024 Starters (Inverness to Torridon Taxi)
Also posted on Facebook, but for the benefit of anyone that doesn't go on there: Torridon 2024 Starters I am planning a Thursday 9th May start at Torridon, and will be travelling up by train to Inverness on Wednesday 8th. If anyone is interested in sharing costs...
Views: 110   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 17, 2023 3:21pm
by Paul Abu-Rabie
GOING UP LOCH ERICHT
Is there now a safe and (sensible!) way to negotiate the hill An Dun east of Ben Alder Cottage to pick up the lochside path to Dalwhinnie (W side Loch Ericht)? Not having been warned about it in 2013, (on an otherwise fantastic TGO crossing) it was a horrible shock...
Views: 552   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 16, 2023 12:29pm
by Neil Fraser
In need of route advice…
Hi everyone. I was hoping someone with a bit more experience/local knowledge of Scotland can help me out. I’ve done the challenge twice before and am hoping to get in for 2024 after having a few years off. I need some asvice/guidance for a route I could...
Views: 277   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 13, 2023 5:39pm
by Rob slade
Alan Sloman
We received the following message from Alan’s son Oli and Emma Warbrick: We are sorry to tell you all that Alan passed away in the early hours of Sunday 24th September in Thames Hospice. He had been receiving treatment for cancer for some time. Alan passed...
Views: 844   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 13, 2023 5:37pm
by Rob Slade
2024 place allocation and a river crossing
Greetings to one and all, it's been a few years since I last took part in the TGO Challenge (2017) and I'm really looking forward to doing it again. I have 2 questions for all you knowledgeable people out there :- 1. Has everybody that stated a preferred start date...
Views: 222   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 13, 2023 5:35am
by Billymaca
2024 Entry Update
7 October 5pm, Update: There are still some places available. If you'd like one of them, go to https://www.tgochallenge.com/entryform/ Everyone who submitted their application and paid before 3pm today, and who was required to fill in an Experience Form, should...
Views: 159   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 12, 2023 1:29pm
by TGO Challenge
TGO Challenge Scottish Reunion
Thanks to everyone who attended the Reunion this weekend, and despite the rain, everyone seems to have enjoyed it. I recounted the cash we raised at the raffle and found £1 more than we announced last night, so I have paid £181 to Cairngorm Mountain Rescue...
Views: 129   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 8, 2023 2:37pm
by Kirsten Paterson
Start date query
When do we find out our start dates if we opted for ‘don’t mind’? Just realised I can’t book accommodation yet. Sorry if I’ve missed reading it somewhere. I’m so glad that the new application process seems to be easier and ?more en...
Views: 111   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 7, 2023 7:07am
by TGO Challenge
e
Emma
Alan's funeral
Dear friends Here are the details of Alan's funeral from his son Oli Sloman. The details for Alan's funeral are below. The family hopes that as many people as possible will be able to make it. If you haven’t already responded via Facebook or in any other...
Views: 252   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 5, 2023 1:35pm
by Emma
I'm back!
One way or another I'm GOING to do TGOC 2024. And I'm planning a silly route with the MAXIMUM POSSIBLE number of ferry crossings! In 2014 I managed 3, which I thought was pretty impressive. But this time I'm really going to push the boat out (if you'll pardon the...
Views: 145   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 3, 2023 7:36pm
by Lord Elpus
Gas resupply Kingussie
I'm staying overnight (18th) in Kingussie and as major resupply point I'll need to source gas. Am I correct in saying there is a dearth of shops there? I have sufficient time to train round trip to Aviemore . However, Wow Camping are organised to send canisters offic...
Views: 194   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 6, 2023 4:25pm
by Louise Evans
Which Gas to use for Pocket Rocket or similar stove
Hi Which is the best gas to use for the TGOC? (1) One with a 80/20 Mix of IsoButane and Propane OR (2) One with a Butane-IsoButane Propane Mix. Are they the same, just different marketing and brands? A few years ago I had one (I don't remember which)...
Views: 258   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 16, 2023 10:02am
by William Burton
Torridon accommodation on 10 May
Torridon accommodation on Wednesday 10 May. Late planning my route, I missed out on the dorm rooms at the youth hostel. So I now have a room for 5, all to myself. Please email me at martin@topwalks.com if you would like a space in this room. I’m away until 26 M...
Views: 160   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 17, 2023 10:42pm
by Martin Banfield
Mariposa Gorilla rucksack for sale
Used on 5 Challenges but now not needed, so for sale. Small size hipbelt. Some minor damage to outer stretch pocket, and I added a piece of Cordura to protect the base when it is put down, and padding (easily removable) on the shoulder straps. £90 ono to include...
Views: 159   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 22, 2023 3:13pm
by Kirsten Paterson
Doug Dyke
Sadly, we have to announce the death at the age of 81 of Doug Dyke. Those of you, possibly more mature Challengers, may well remember Doug whose first Challenge was in 1983 and he went on to complete four more all in the 1980s. He walked initially with two chums, all...
Views: 190   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 22, 2023 6:22pm
by Sue and Ali
i
Isaac
Camping around the Glenn Affric Youth Hostel
Hello there, I'm heading off from Shiel Bridge, and so my first evening destination is the Glen Affric Youth Hostel. However, I'd prefer to wild camp instead of stay in the hostel for the night. Does anyone know a good place to pitch a tent near the hostel? Or wil...
Views: 321   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 27, 2023 11:34am
by Gordon Green
Torridon 12th May Starters
Hi all, we still have a couple of spaces in the minibus booked from Inverness to Torridon on the 11th May for those starting on the 12th - Let me know if any additional takers! Happy crossing everyone, here's to 2 weeks of midge-free sunshine across the whole cha...
Views: 165   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 30, 2023 12:08pm
by Tim Robinson
Mountain Trails' TGOC 2023 Discount Expires 30th April
Hi Everybody, Hope you are all well and that by now your planning is very much in the finalisation stage if not already completed. In a similar vein, here at Mountain Trails we are expecting that the majority of you will have already made your food purchases for t...
Views: 436   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 1, 2023 11:22am
by Mark Trodden/Mou...
Accommodation Available: Oban, Kings House (Glen Coe), Braemar, Park Hotel (Montrose)
It is with much regret that I have had to withdraw from this year's challenge. I had booked accommodation which I can not now take up, and as this is in short supply I thought I would "advertise it" here, which may help other Challengers as well as the accommodation...
Views: 280   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 3, 2023 11:49am
by David Williams
Victoria Bridge, Mar Lodge
Does anyone know if the Victoria Bridge at Mar Lodge has been re-opened. I know it has been closed for repairs.
Views: 213   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 4, 2023 2:31pm
by Stephen Mee
Fetteresso Forest
I've checked with Forestry & Land Scotland and there is no work planned in the Fetteresso in May which might impact the challenge. SSEN are currently doing some work upgrading the powerlines that cross South to North but they don't seem to be causing any disruption t...
Views: 170   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 6, 2023 8:03pm
by Brian Wade
Corran Ferry
Just so you are aware incase it affects your route, there are problems with the Corran Ferry https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-65221872
Views: 245   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 12, 2023 5:19pm
by Louise
Acharacle Post Office Operational Status
Have found contradictory information on the WWW about the operational status of the post office in Acharacle. Have not been successful in getting a reply from the contact information posted on-line for sources of definitive information on the status includeing shop k...
Views: 181   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 12, 2023 7:38am
by Louise
Forum working again
Apoligies = the frum would not allow posts yesterday but is now up and running again.
Views: 155   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 16, 2023 12:08pm
by Ali & Sue
Only 10 days left to get 20% off your TGOC23 food at Mountain Trails
Hi All, this is just a quick reminder that this year's TGOC discount on the Mountain Trails website ends at midnight on Sunday, 30th April. Therefore, if you wish to take advantage of the discount - and be certain of delivery before your Challenge start date - ple...
Views: 110   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 20, 2023 8:08am
by Mark Trodden/Mou...
Glen Noe
I have planned my route from Loch Etive to Dalmally crossing R Noe at NN 053 342 and proceeding up the north side of the river. Checking the appearance of tracks on Google maps just now, I discovered what looks like a new track on the south side as far as NN 074 333,...
Views: 161   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 22, 2023 2:28pm
by Vanessa
Rob Roy Way
Anyone planning to follow the Rob Roy Way along the southern border of the Challenge area from Aberfoyle to Callander: https://www.robroyway.com/route-closure-from-2-may-to-2-june-aberfoyle-to-callander/
Views: 204   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 25, 2023 11:52am
by Louise
The Retreat, Tarfside
The Retreat's website shows they're going to be open at Challenge time - does anyone know if it's *actually* going to be open - thinking of having a nice sit down breakfast at a table with a gleamingly white table cloth!
Views: 217   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 22, 2023 3:29pm
by Andy
syncing routes
my route is comprised of 15 subroutes on OMN. One route per each of 14 days and one route each or two FWA days. Syncing following the OMN instructions results in only 9 of the subroutes being avialable on my I phone. May wish to use my iphone for navigating the FWA a...
Views: 162   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 28, 2023 10:05am
by Adrian Wain
Lairig Grhu conditions expectations
Anyone with experience, subject matter expertise and or crystal ball willing to offer incite on expected conditions and need for particular gear to pass through the Lairig grhu mid May this year? Asking for a friend. Thank you.
Views: 291   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 29, 2023 11:20pm
by shaun e sexton
Kinloch Rannock to Tummel Bridge
My intend route via McGregors Cave and then to cross the viaduct to take the path to Tummel Bridge has been closed. The alternative of walking 7 miles along the B846 with its minimal or non-existant verges does not appeal. There does apear to be vestiges of a p...
Views: 321   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 4, 2023 6:48pm
by AnnieS
The Retreat / Glenesk museum cafe, Tarfside
I received the following from Julie at the Retreat / Glenesk museum, Tarfside: "We could provide bacon or sausage rolls but not full cooked breakfasts. These would have to be collected from the café. If you tell us what you would like, we will do our best to...
Views: 163   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 7, 2023 7:43am
by John Jocys
I have started.
My Challenge will start in a few hours when I leave Barbados. Getting to London, resupplying on a Bank Holiday, and getting to Malaig, with your pack, needs planning and a bit of luck I wish everyone a safe and enjoyable crossing and if you see my tent stop by...
Views: 222   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 7, 2023 4:08pm
by Louise
I have started too
Arrived GLA yesterday. Good sleep at airport holiday inn. Looks a bit humid outside presently. Needing to adjust to time zone over the next few days. Off to FT William this morning. Have to post a couple resupply boxes and send a few travel items to Montrose. Acharac...
Views: 258   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 9, 2023 7:34pm
by Louise
Any love for the Durston x-mid on here?
(Grats to all tgoc2023 starters and finishers.) I have (and love) my enan but pondering an x-mid 1 solid, or notch li to ditch some weight for (hopefully) a tgoc attempt next year. I hear the notch was popular this year, has anyone got any critical feedback on eith...
Views: 305   Replies: 7
Last Post: Aug 24, 2023 9:45pm
by Rowland
a few pics from 2023 crossing
Under this link are a few photos taken with my phone during this crossing. A lovely route to walk form Ardrishaig - Tyndrum - Glen Lyon - Kinloch Rannoch - Blair Atholl - Glen Tilt - Glenshee - Glen Isla - Kirriemuir and Lunan Bay. Ecosse TGOC 2023
Views: 244   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 1, 2023 10:42am
by rowlandg
A writeup about my, much shorter than planned, TGOC23
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13A2wolxQK5YzRFLEbLz6n9Ke04GioJkO/view?usp=sharing
Views: 169   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 17, 2023 10:52am
by Brian Wade
Lochnagar names and stuff
Busy writing up a blog of my crossing and part of that process is to research the meanings of some of the names I encounter. It has more value to me once I've been there. Hence we come to Lochnagar with it's two 'peaks' I came across a gold mine of archived journal...
Views: 220   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 25, 2023 9:09am
by Andy Pinkard
Pictures of TGOC 23
Here is the link to some of my pictures. https://www.bajanthings.com/the-great-outdoor-challenge-2023-mallaig-to-portlethen/ William:flag-bb:
Views: 175   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 1, 2023 7:11pm
by William Burton
TGOC2023
Yet another brilliant Challenge - and what wonderful weather, I can't wait for TGOC2024, my route is almost ready! For those with nowt better to do, have a read of my TGOC2023: Part 1: Oban to Dalwhinnie Part 2: Dalwhinnie to Lochcallater Part 3: Lochcall...
Views: 198   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 19, 2023 1:52pm
by John Jocys
s
Stef
TGO likely dates for 2024
Hi just a question, I know they are not out as yet but what is the likely dates for 2024. Thanks
Views: 181   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 9, 2023 12:14pm
by Stef
Orrin Reservoir
Hi. I am looking at something to do in May 2024. If I get to Luipmaidrig, NH306484, and cross the bridge, What is the walking like between the bridge along the South of Orrin Reservoir to meet up with the track at NH 355484? I think that the river crossing on...
Views: 569   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 29, 2023 11:43pm
by William
lochailort lodging for May 10, 2023 +/-
Have made several attempts to make direct contact with warm body willing and interested in assisting with booking lodging in Lochailort on and or before May 10, 2023m AD. No responses to my written inquiries. Inn's Website notes closed for remodeling until Spring 202...
Views: 285   Replies: 10
Last Post: Mar 31, 2023 11:41am
by Gordon Green
Choosing rail departure time for Montrose - Inverness Airport
Greetings all, I'm seeking advice on which rail departure to take from Montrose to catch a flight out of Inverness after the Challenge. I'm set to finish on Fri May 26th and stay for the dinner in Montrose. My flight is the following morning at 11:15. I'm flying I...
Views: 180   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 27, 2023 4:33pm
by Tyler Phelps
Mr W's coming up for spring TGOC gear Sale
Mr W's coming up to Spring Gear Sale. I have 3 items currently up for grabs. The links below will take you to them on UK Gear Exchange if you want to read more. 1. Tarptent Notch (2018 velcro sil version) £205 (880g) https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...
Views: 150   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 6, 2023 8:31pm
by Andrew W
Sharing twin room London - Fort William on Caledonia Sleeper
Anyone fancy sharing a twin berth room on the Calendonian Sleeper from London Euston to Fort William departing Wednesday 10 May, arriving Fort William early morning of 11 May? Single occupancy of twin room is £250 but double occupancy of twin is £295 total,...
Views: 173   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 5, 2023 10:24am
by Dave Skipp
Ian Shiel
It is with great sadness we pass on news of the death, today, of Ian Shiel. Ian was very much a hill man and loved the Challenge, completing 21 crossings between 1987 and 2015. He had an encyclopaedic knowledge of the Highlands which he imparted to many as a much re...
Views: 287   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 2, 2023 8:43am
by Ali & Sue
This Month’s Free Meal Samples from Mountain Trails
Hi Everybody, Spring's here - the morning's are getting lighter, birds are filling the air with song and spring flowers are beginning to poke their heads into the sunshine! It's going to be a bit colder over the next few days but it's still going to be a great tim...
Views: 125   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 1, 2023 9:50am
by Mark Trodden/Mou...
Mr W's gear (now only 2 negotiable price packs left for Sale)
List Bump Up.. The sil Tarptent Notch is now SOLD, but these are still available. Prices negotiable.. 1. A 40 L Dan Durston Backpack (the Drop version) £140 (960g) - This is DCF https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/647878750470443/ 2. A Trampli...
Views: 185   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 20, 2023 9:20pm
by Andrew W
Tent for sale
I am selling a Tarptent Contrail. It is a one-person, single skin, silnylon trekking pole tent. It only weighs 750g, without pegs - 4-8 pegs required. Mike used it last year on the TGOC. This year, I have acquired a Notch Li, so this perfectly sound Contrail is no lo...
Views: 182   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 19, 2023 2:03pm
by Marian Parsons
Inside bit for Trailstar.
Wimpy girl needs insidey bit for her Trailstar. I was on the standby list so didnt do any preparation, no route no tent no nothing. Last month got the news that I now have a place on the challenge :). Chief Happiness Officer (his words not mine) Ron Bell at MLD has...
Views: 751   Replies: 14
Last Post: Feb 25, 2013 8:27pm
by Stuart
Scots Rail tickets
Hello I need some local advice. In previous years I took the Sleeper from Euston to Glasgow to connect to the west coast train - around 10am if I remember correctly. This year I don't see a sleeper leaving at aprox 11.55pm - just an earlier train. Has the midn...
Views: 375   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 15, 2023 4:31pm
by William Burton
Alpkit Soloist tent
Alpkit Soloist tent for sale. Brand new, unused. Bought for trip to Australia that Covid prevented. Perfect Challenge tent. £100. Collect from Bakewell, or I could deliver to Spring Gathering.
Views: 179   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 14, 2023 11:01am
by Ros Stokes
Bealach Alltan Ruairidh Attadale Forest
Hi All, Hopefully quick question. I am a bitt confused about a section of my route from Strathcarron to Bendronaig Lodge. The OS 1:50,000 map shows a track connecting the route through the bealach from Lohan Fauna to the dirt road that crosses the Black Water (NG...
Views: 228   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 13, 2023 6:55pm
by Sue Foss
Train question
So it's nearly time to get the train booked, I have a question about jumping on the return and thought I might get a better answer here than from the train co. If I get a Leeds to Strathcarron open return, is there any reason why I couldn't jump on at Edinburgh on...
Views: 178   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 7, 2023 5:52pm
by Adrian Wain
Braemar Youth Hostel
I've received confirmation from SYHA. The youth Hostel in Braemar will be closed for the whole of 2023.
Views: 201   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 7, 2023 12:05am
by Scott Kinghorn
Alex MacMillan
We are sad to announce the death of Alex MacMillan. Alex completed his first Challenge back in 1984 and then another fourteen over the next twenty years, his last one in 2004. We send our condolences to his wife, Caitriona, also a Challenger, and to all of Alex's fam...
Views: 245   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 3, 2023 7:07am
by Sue and Ali
Hi Everybody, well that's January over with its quirky weather across Britain - at one point it was relatively balmy at 9c in the Northern Highlands whilst down in Kent, some 500 miles (800km) further south it was -9c. Very strange! Here in the 'middle lands' o...
Views: 88   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 1, 2023 9:40am
by Mark Trodden/Mou...
Footbridge over the Dee at NO 19745 90832
Is it possible to use the above footbridge to cross the River Dee to enter the Ballochbuie Forest? Thanks
Views: 182   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 31, 2023 3:52pm
by Louise Evans
i
Isaac
Entering/walking through Cairngorms National Park
Hello all, first-timer here, and this will be my first time in Scotland! I'm planning a Shiel Bridge to Dunnottar Castle route, and am planning to keep things relatively clean and simple (i.e., *probably* no Munros this time). With that said, I would love to pass thr...
Views: 226   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 29, 2023 6:51pm
by Isaac
TGO Challenge 2022 Blog: Acharacle to St Cyrus
I've started my TGO Challenge blog for 2022. I've currently reached the halfway point and so have listed below the relevant blog posts so far: INTRODUCTION: ACHARACLE TO ST CYRUS, SOLO FOOD & STOVES TRAVELLING TO THE WEST COAST DAY ONE: ACHARACLE TO G...
Views: 287   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 27, 2023 6:49pm
by Alan Sloman
Spring Gathering - final reminder
Time is running out to reserve a place at the Spring Gathering. I have only reserved rooms at the hotels until the end of January after which they will be available to the general public. I also need to know by the end of the month if you are planning to come so t...
Views: 130   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 24, 2023 8:06am
by Louise Evans
Spring Gathering
Just a reminder that the Spring Gathering takes place at The Sportsman Inn, Hatfield, Derbyshire, between the 31st March and 2nd April. Full details have been sent out and are also on the Challenge website.
Views: 207   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 13, 2023 4:04pm
by Alan Hardy
Route Planning
If you are having problems puttiing together a route here is a map that will help. https://www.stanfords.co.uk/scottish-whisky-distilleries-nicolson-map William :flag-bb:
Views: 180   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 12, 2023 3:18pm
by Wiliam Burton
MESSAGE FROM ADMIN
Some Challengers have apparently received unexpected messages. If you have or do receive one, don't interact, don't open any links and report anything suspicious to FB. Sorry, TGO Challenge Admin are both currently unavailable, please do not contact them directly Lo...
Views: 219   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 12, 2023 12:43pm
by Louise Evans
Clatterin' Brig Café
Anyone planning a route via Clatterin' Brig be aware the Café is now Closed. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news 😞
Views: 136   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 9, 2023 4:56pm
by Louise Evans
Hi everybody, and a very hearty 'Happy New Year' to you all. I hope the start of the new year sees you and yours well, in fine fettle, and ready to deal with whatever 2023 has to throw at us all. As usual, this is just a quick message to let you know that January'...
Views: 168   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 9, 2023 11:31am
by Louise Evans
Train strikes
I know things can change between now and May but I'm not 100% convinced all will be well with train travel. The cheap tickets which will be released soon may actually be useless without a train to use them on. Maybe it's time to look at alternatives - just as i...
Views: 138   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 4, 2023 11:12pm
by John Jocys
Path along S bank of Loch Etive
Can anyone offer any insight into the path along the south bank of Loch Etive from the bridge at NN079375 to the northerly end of the loch at about NN117448. I have not been that way before and would like to 'explore', but am mindful of the number of water crossin...
Views: 250   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 4, 2023 11:02pm
by John Jocys
Deeside Way from Drumoak
Hello I hope everyone had a happy Christmas and are ready for a new year. I am doing some final checks on my route. Is the Dismantled Railway a clear walking path from Bridgend NO797 990 to Coalford NO823 998? I will be overnighting in Peterculter and finishin...
Views: 212   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 30, 2022 10:34am
by Colin
Season's Greeting to all Challengers - past, present and future
Challenge Control may be somewhat unresponsive from now until the last mince pie has been eaten and the Hogmanay hangovers have resolved. Normal service should resume by 3rd January.
Views: 136   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 23, 2022 4:59pm
by Ali & Sue
Gorthlek House
After crossing Loch Ness on the ferry, I'm was planning on going south from All Na Goire to cross loch Mhor at Gorthlek house and on along Aberchalder Burn. I'm not always clear on the extent of land access, and it looks like there is a botanical garden at the site,...
Views: 256   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 23, 2022 4:28pm
by Julie
Hi everybody, just a quick message to let you all know that December's batch of free Food on the Move samples, for those who have not yet tried any of our products, are now available for grabs. You can choose from our website which you'd like to try, but stock...
Views: 306   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 5, 2022 8:49pm
by Louise
Suggestions for accommodation in Brechin please!
I came through Brechin last year and stayed somewhere I did not enjoy. (Not saying where, just my foibles) Does anyone have recommendations for somewhere that they thought was a nice place to stay - camping or b&b/hostel.
Views: 189   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 3, 2022 5:54pm
by Jayme
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10