THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!
FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,
FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD
PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!
Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here
Any queries? Email the coordinators Sue and Ali at firstname.lastname@example.org or ring on 01540 673360 / 673583
Can anyone offer any insight into the path along the south bank of Loch Etive from the bridge at NN079375 to the northerly end of the loch at about NN117448.
I have not been that way before and would like to 'explore', but am mindful of the number of water crossings listed as 'Fords'.
I wouldn't attempt it after wet weather, but if we have a dry May, would it be do-able?
I walked that route, many years ago, it was my first long distance walk. As such I was somewhat naive in the ways of crossing streams.
Even so we manged to get to the top of Loch Etive without too much difficulty. I remember that there were two major stream crossings but with careful use of various rocks we crossed fairly easily.
The streams were fast running at the time, it having rained heavily and persistantly the previous day.
If the weather next May is a long period of heavy rain you may have to go a way upstream to cross.
Hope this helps a little
Thank you Ray. At least that shows it is do-able. My decision will be weather dependent - either I go this way or I go Glen Kinglass. Either way takes 2 days to get to Kingshouse, then I will trundle out towards Blair Atholl.
Getting excited already!
Might bump into you somewhere next May.
I had the same question Lindy, initially I planned on Glen Kinglass and a stay at Inveroran Hotel but they were full so I changed to the bunkhouse at Kingshouse. I also thought about the S/E bank of Loch Etive but listening to some nightmare stories I realised the distance up the W shore is just the same distance and much safer.
Thank you for the links Brian,
A few people have been in touch re their experiences. Yes, if it is wet there is no way I will go for this route and will go for Glen Kinglass. However, it is do-able, and I fancy a bit of exploring. So, if we have settled weather I may give it a go. Both routes included on my route sheet. I will decide when I am ready to start and confirm with Challenge Control from Oban.
Rather late to the party I'm afraid!
I walked that way on one Challenge. Up to Glen Kinglass it was lovely, but after is a different matter - I found it to be hard going and I swore I wouldn't go that way again....AND it rained!
This year I'm going to follow the northern shore where I'm sure the weather will be glorious and the birds will be singing. Maybe.
I hope this helps.