​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bealach Alltan Ruairidh Attadale Forest

Hi All,

Hopefully quick question. I am a bitt confused about a section of my route from Strathcarron to Bendronaig Lodge. The OS 1:50,000 map shows a track connecting the route through the bealach from Lohan Fauna to the dirt road that crosses the Black Water (NG 38 99). However, the 1:25,000 doesn't show the last section of this track, and I can't quite tell from the Google satellite view if there really is a connection or if the little burns feeding into the Black Water are crossable in this area. Has anyone been through there recently to know if this track actually exists?

Thanks!

Re: Bealach Alltan Ruairidh Attadale Forest

Well yes. And no 😂 The path is mainly good past Lochan Fuara and over the Bealach until about half a kilometre maybe from the main track. You may find then that the path is a bit vague through the boggy sections and easy to lose, but you can see the main track you are aiming for and I just head straight for it over the least boggy ground. Shouldn't pose any problems, even in poor visibility and walking on a bearing when the path gets vague. Lovely wild country

Thanks, that helps a lot. Can't wait! :slightly_smiling_face:

It's a lovely start! Straight into the hills and feeling remote. Enjoy!

You typically get better aerial views from OS than you do with Google. Either use the OS website
https://tinyurl.com/3wk58nmy or Bing maps https://www.bing.com/maps/myplaces?cp=57.394022%7E-5.347804&lvl=16.0&style=a

Hi Brennan,
We came that way last year and there weren't any problems route finding round there.