​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GOING UP LOCH ERICHT

Is there now a safe and (sensible!) way to negotiate the hill An Dun east of Ben Alder Cottage to pick up the lochside path to Dalwhinnie (W side Loch Ericht)?
Not having been warned about it in 2013, (on an otherwise fantastic TGO crossing) it was a horrible shock to be faced with that sheer rock scramble to get up and over. Don’t want to do that again.
As workmen were making their way south along the path that year upgrading the track I’m hoping they also improved An Dun?:laughing:
Is it possible to go up and round following the fence line if there’s been no track improvement?
All info, advice and suggestions welcome!
Not been able to find anything online.

Re: GOING UP LOCH ERICHT

I went that way both in 2021 and 2022, following the path as marked on the map rather than over the hill. The path is a bit sketchy to begin with but doable, there are 1 or 2 steep slabs you have to traverse early on, but I was not faced with any sheer rock scrambles. In 2022 it was wet so I sidled along on my backside a couple of times because a slip here might send you into the loch. Maybe if its not dry it would be worth considering diverting over the Culra route, if you are nervous about it, but I found it generally OK. Once you are past the initial slabby stretch the going is good.

Thanks Jon, that’s very helpful. I shouldn’t have re-read the daily letter/route description from 10 years ago that I write home each night, rather too graphically describing my experience! I was only on my 3rd Challenge when we went that way,, next years my 9th! :wink:

Saw this in the hill bagging site. https://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/index.php

Cycled in on good estate tracks from Loch Rannoch to 2km south of Ben Alder Cottage. Then boggy path to bothy, and excellent stalkers path to base of hill. Steep grass up alongside fence, climbed at col, then even steeper heather and a little rock band to summit.The date posted was 28/03/2022.