​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Orrin Reservoir

Hi.
I am looking at something to do in May 2024.

If I get to Luipmaidrig, NH306484, and cross the bridge, What is the walking like between the bridge along the South of Orrin Reservoir to meet up with the track at NH 355484?

I think that the river crossing on a wet day could be difficult.

I am thinking of a start at Torridon. If I am lucky to get a place. But the planning is enjoyable.

Thanks
William :flag-bb:

Re: Orrin Reservoir

Did it in 2012 after an afternoon of torrential rain forcing a half day stay in the bothy until the whisky ran out and next morning weather was dry. Shore of reservoir a little tortuous with numerous tiny water inlets requiring a bit of hopping over and zig zagging. Otherwise fairly easy going although soggy in places and burn before picking up track a little deep but easily crossable particularly if you have very long legs. Look out for dumped bottles at ruin just after this crossing - presumably used as a drinking den, sorry! I meant to write refreshment halt, by reservoir construction gangs.

Hi William,

I walked that way in 2013 without any issues.
I recall my vetter,Peter Goddard,advising that the river crossing might be troublesome following heavy rain and that I may have to go upstream to find a place to cross.

This day was my final ever blog post, see link.

Hope this helps.

http://davewoodwalks.blogspot.com/2013/08/tgo-challenge-2013-day-3-loch-na.html?m=1

William, I did it in 2016 and it was brilliant. After staying the night at Luipmaldrig I crossed the excellent bridge and walked east. The reservoir was much smaller than on the map and didn't extend west beyond the Allt na Criche. It looked as if it had been like it for some years and I was walking on a grassy meadow. North of Meall Cosach there was a low level petrified forest. Fantastic start to my day! The track after that was so-so, a bit faint and/or boggy and I took the hydro track when I got to it.

Hi William, I remember you from checking in at the hotel in Montrose this year, when we arrived at the desk simultaneously. But this remark is not the goal of my message, of course.

I came through Glen Orrin in 2017, unintended and unexpected, because of a navigational error that day. But I don’t regret this walk at all! It was splendid, but then the weather was brilliant! As Vanessa mentioned, the reservoir was much smaller than on the map. I thought it was because of a long dry spell of weather. But apparently Vanessa had the same experience. The walk south of the reservoir was very easy, because it was perfectly walkable on the dry bed of the reservoir, due to the low water level. But that doesn’t guarantee anything under wetter circumstances, of course. And the river crossing must have been very easy, for I don’t remember it at all.

You can see some pictures of that day on my photo diary of that Challenge on https://goo.gl/photos/bRVWJPFkaWQKuRe96[url], particularly day 4.

Kind regards,
Hein

My photo diary of 2017 can also be found on the TGO Challenge website, under resources.

Thanks to everyone for the positive advice on this route. I am still working on the finer details but I should be able to get to Inverness with out too much drama.

Still a lot to plot and play "what if"
William