​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
'SPOT' with texts
I'm thinking of gettng one of the SPOT emergency beacon devices and hear that some now come with a texting facility that works through the satelites which can be used for non-emergencies, ie for just reporting home, or even reporting in to mission control in Montrose...
Views: 709   Replies: 15
Last Post: Mar 20, 2013 11:04pm
by Andrew W
Challenge Re-Union : Looking ahead
With only 7 weeks to go til those lucky 300 head off from west coast, don't forget to look further ahead. The TGO Challenge Scottish Re-Union is being held this year in Crianlarich over weekend of 19/20 October, based at the Crianlarich Hotel. It's an excellent cha...
Views: 356   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 20, 2013 5:59pm
by Issy & Les Silko...
Montrose Accommodation
As I'm very slow off the mark with this I wonder if anyone can recommend accommodation in Montrose. Do people use the South Links campsite? Any recommended B&Bs? thanks John
Views: 571   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 19, 2013 11:02pm
by John Wright
I'm sorry, but..... one little question!
I'm really sorry for the person who had to pull out early in the week...honest Anyone know of a good spot to pitch up in Glen Moriston between Ceannacroc Lodge and Torgyle Bridge. Have submitted route sheet assuming somewhere around the Allt an Eoin (NH...
Views: 553   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 19, 2013 8:59pm
by Andrew W
Where to camp nearby Lochailort ?
I was number 27. Just booked the plane. But Lochailort inn seems close to full now, only 85L room left, and the Bryden B&B seems to be no more : http://www.brydenenterprises.co.uk/ I am tempted to follow the path to Mullochbuie and stop when i find a suitable...
Views: 702   Replies: 9
Last Post: Mar 18, 2013 12:33pm
by Andy Dawkins
Just got in
Should be Lochailort to Stonehaven this year.
Views: 491   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 16, 2013 10:39am
by Gordon Green
p
peter
Trailstar inner
hi ive got an unused Bearpaw designs inner two parts so floor only or full nest,bought off a bloke off outdoor magic,who ended up with two after xmas day !!! he never pitched it ive pitched it 3-4 times in garden but it works best pitched at 40" which ive found to be...
Views: 392   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 15, 2013 2:24pm
by peter
Snake Pass thingummy
Big thanks to Alan for again organising another fine reunion bash at the Snake. Also thanks for the Sat walk, and to the staff of the Snake for an excellent and friendly weekend. Great to meet up with so many fellow challengers again. See you in Scotland, or ne...
Views: 500   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 15, 2013 2:01pm
by Alan Hardy
PHD Winter sale
In case anyone is looking for a sleeping bag or down clothing, PHD's usual winter sale is currently on. The page seems to have some options from previous sales at the top, so my understanding is: scroll to the bottom and the current offerings are the ones in the t...
Views: 350   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 15, 2013 1:55pm
by Simon
b
Badger
Balmoral Estate
Our intended route takes us from Braemar to Ballater passing by but not visiting Balmoral Castle. However just recently somebody mentioned that there is a £10 charge to transit through the estate. A quick check of the Balmoral website seems to indicate tha...
Views: 568   Replies: 7
Last Post: Mar 15, 2013 12:56pm
by John J
BST?
Has anyone else noticed the timing on the board? Has it jumped forward early 'cos it's eager for May 10?
Views: 390   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 15, 2013 11:06am
by Theo
Snow and Ice!!
Hi All, Thought you might like to be aware that for the Cairngorms -- at this moment of time -- ice axes and sharp crampons are a MUST. The snow level is here in Braemar, cant remember the last time we had rain, it must have been mid November I think. Howeve...
Views: 430   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 14, 2013 2:43pm
by Mr. Grumpy
Where's everyone gone?
Quiet in here innit?
Views: 560   Replies: 11
Last Post: Mar 14, 2013 12:22am
by Ian C.
Drishell
Looking for some thoughts and advice from more learned folks such as yourselves... I'm planning using an MLD Duomid with Polycro ground sheet for my first crossing in May (I have a mesh inner with bathtub floor but is a two person and weighs 450.) Now, I have...
Views: 645   Replies: 7
Last Post: Mar 11, 2013 5:32pm
by Stuart Fraser
Routes - the closing hour
Evening all, Last 75 minutes for receipt of routes. As you might imagine, I've been rather swamped with routes in the last day or two, many followed up with a request for acknowledgement. Afraid I'll be handling them in the usual order so please bear with me i...
Views: 737   Replies: 9
Last Post: Mar 11, 2013 5:28pm
by Badger
Tuna in foil pouch. Available in UK?
I've been using this range for my hike lunches, it's pretty yummy (esp. the chilli one) and the packaging is very compact and packing friendly before and after use. I'm wondering if there is something similar available in the UK? I've hunted through Tesco's online ca...
Views: 424   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 11, 2013 11:24am
by Louise
Bridge near Baileguish
The Scotways Spring 2013 Newsletter advises that Highland Council have posted notices that the bridge near Baileguish over the Allt Chromaig, NN 824 983 has been closed. This is a favourite Challenge route from Tromie Bridge to the Feshie. There is some undermining o...
Views: 364   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 11, 2013 11:08am
by john donohoe
Ladies wide fitting boots.
Mrs S is having trouble finding a new pair of boots that are wide enough. Any suggestions from the ladies....or gents who have an interest in ladies feet......... Thanks for any suggestions.
Views: 468   Replies: 10
Last Post: Mar 10, 2013 10:13pm
by southwestern
Sing-a-long.
A new Challenge anthem maybe? http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=MZ35SOU9HTM Don't blame me I only passed it on!
Views: 418   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 10, 2013 7:56pm
by Andrew W
Megabus
For anyone who is feely a tad iffy about train fares it may be worth their while to take a look at Megabus Click here to go to the Megabus website Whilst they won't get you to Dornie they will get you up from the south of England to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Inver...
Views: 427   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 9, 2013 7:00pm
by Humphrey Weightm...
v
Vicky
Fabulous vetters
Just had our route back and we were both blown away with the thoughtfulness, tips and thoroughness of the comments. I'll be emailing and letting our vetter (Alan Hardy) know personally, but wanted to take the opportunity to thank the vetters for the great job they do...
Views: 471   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 9, 2013 2:59pm
by Lindy Griffiths
Cheap train tickets?
Just been trying for cheap train tickets to get back from Montrose to Penrith: last year I booked them on 3rd March for next to nothing (breaking the journey down into 2 legs via Edinburgh Waverley), but I can only see outrageous prices today - have I missed my chanc...
Views: 390   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 9, 2013 2:09pm
by Merrylegs
Route revisions
Hi all, The vetting process is drawing gradually to a close and most routes have now been through the process. A number of requested route revisions are outstanding. While we haven't put a formal deadline on these it would be great to gather them in as soon as...
Views: 419   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 8, 2013 2:29pm
by John Manning
b
Badger
East Coast Train Tickets
Cheap East Coast train tickets are now available for Saturday May 25th. Sample fares Montrose to Kings Cross 08:32 Departure -Economy £43.10 First £67.35 10:32 Departure - Economy £18.00 First £50.75 If you can get a group together of...
Views: 331   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 8, 2013 10:49am
by Badger
Pacer poles/Leki
I know there are plenty of Pacer Pole fans out there and I am wondering if you know whether it is possible to use Pacer Pole top sections with Leki Ultra light middle sections? TA.
Views: 667   Replies: 13
Last Post: Mar 6, 2013 9:42pm
by Nigel Campbell
local sourcing: Gas
My calcs indicate that a 250ml gas canister should get me all the way to Montrose with very little to spare and assuming I dont get too much heat lost with my MSR windshield. Would seasoned challengers care to comment on my estimate? the calcs were done on a day wi...
Views: 823   Replies: 16
Last Post: Mar 6, 2013 9:36pm
by Waldo
999 Text Service to Assist Hill Walkers
This is not new "news" but I wonder how many Challengers are aware of it? From the Mountaineering Council of Scotland's website: Mobile phone reception in the Highlands can often be intermittent or non-existent. If you are involved in an incident on the hill an...
Views: 651   Replies: 8
Last Post: Mar 6, 2013 8:36pm
by Nigel Campbell
Braemar Welcome for TGO Challengers
Hi All, Now back in Braemar after sunny visit Down Under. What is all this re Everest?? If I had known there was such interest I would have thrown out an anchor chain, the Jumbo flew right over the top. However Breamar gearing itself up for a great welcome t...
Views: 547   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 4, 2013 9:25pm
by Vicky
v
Vicky
You tube
Have been watching some of the vids on you tube this evening of previous challenges, great to watch, thanks guys! - wasn't expecting the nudity though!! Having watched them I am now wondering if I might need a flag to mark my laser tent as there are so many! - w...
Views: 536   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 4, 2013 9:24pm
by Vicky
Montrose to King's Cross, Saturday 25th - team up?
I'm looking for a third person interested in teaming up to get a group ticket for Montrose to King's Cross on Saturday 25th, say the 10:32am departure. This is planning ahead for when the advance tickets for the 25th go on sale in a week's time. If interested, pl...
Views: 479   Replies: 6
Last Post: Mar 4, 2013 1:41pm
by Jaya John
Everest Bass Camp
Three days into his first solo attempt at scaling Mt. Everest, Joe finally arrives at bass camp. (With thanks to Mark Alvarez)
Views: 646   Replies: 6
Last Post: Mar 4, 2013 8:19am
by alan.sloman
pegs for trailstar
A very happy novice Trailstar owner (It arrived yesterday) would like suggestions for the best pegs to use to stake it out with. Lindsay J.
Views: 532   Replies: 6
Last Post: Mar 2, 2013 9:22pm
by Andrew W
v
Vicky
Car Parking at Shiel Bridge
Hi all, Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good place to leave the car at Shiel Bridge for the duration of the challenge? We've been trying to work out how we can still go and see Eddie Izzard in Sheffield on Fri night and start in Shiel Bridge on Sat morn...
Views: 394   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 2, 2013 6:01pm
by Vicky
East Coast Trains Cheap(ish) Fares
East Coast Trains are now accepting bookings for Advanced Fares home from Montrose. Warning: It's not as cheap as last year if you are travelling home on the Friday (24th May). If you are travelling on Thursday 23rd, the fares are similar to last year's. It's w...
Views: 589   Replies: 6
Last Post: Mar 2, 2013 1:51pm
by Humphrey Weightm...
Thursday night sleeper
For people catching the sleeper from Euston on Thursday 9th, how about meeting up in the Bree Louise beforehand? Barney and I will be there from about 9:30pm. Cheers, Jaya John
Views: 353   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 1, 2013 11:02pm
by Jaya John
Views: 346   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 1, 2013 11:50am
by DickieF
First Aid Kit
Two weeks walking though MAMBA country. You have a tumble and split a few bits and pieces. How will your first aid kit cope? Here's mine. What's in yours?
Views: 604   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 28, 2013 4:57pm
by Humphrey Weightm...
v
Vicky
73 days to go!
I'm so excited that everytime I get in my car I have to resist turning it in the direction of Scotland! I hope this is normal!
Views: 446   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 27, 2013 1:15pm
by Louise
Ferry from Mallaig
Hello out there all you experienced challengers. Can anyone tell me if you need to book the ferry from Mallaig to Inverie please. Lindsay Jones.
Views: 503   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 26, 2013 8:44pm
by Andrew W
Bunkhouses in Bridge of Orchy?
Has anyone stayed recently in either of the bunkhouses in Bridge of Orchy, i.e. the bunkhouse at the hotel or the West Highland Way Sleeper? If so, what was your experience? I'm asking because when I was searching for their websites, I came across their revie...
Views: 495   Replies: 7
Last Post: Feb 26, 2013 7:49pm
by Jaya John
Acharacle start?
I am considering supporting the sign-out point hotel by staying the night before starting, but find that they have no single rooms. Is there any female challenger starting from Acharacle on Friday 10th interested in sharing a twin bedded room at the Loch Shiel House...
Views: 748   Replies: 14
Last Post: Feb 26, 2013 6:29pm
by Kirsten P
g
GregDD
Shopping and café map
I seem to remember Alan I believe offering à link to a map showing cafés and shops across the route, but I have lost the link. Anybody got it?
Views: 453   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 26, 2013 1:26pm
by Greg DD
MY TGOC 2013 Gear list
Gear lists are personal, but, I'm always curious as to what works for others. So, here is what works for me. It would be great to see other examples of gear being used on the TGOC. It can be found here: http://aktovate1.blogpot.com
Views: 765   Replies: 13
Last Post: Feb 26, 2013 1:09pm
by Mr. Grumpy
Feughside Inn
The Feughside Inn ceased trading in January and is on the market for £350,000. The previous owners have retired and I read that the net profit for the last trading year was in excess of £130,00. So there is a good business opportunity for some well heeled...
Views: 536   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 25, 2013 5:31pm
by Alan Hardy
Torridon Transport
Hi all, Further to previous discussions I wondered if there has been any update on transport links to Torridon? Thanks Mark
Views: 544   Replies: 7
Last Post: Feb 25, 2013 9:51am
by Jean Turner
THURSDAY – Final deadline for all routes
Afternoon all, If you haven't already sent in your route sheet please do so by Thursday. Still an unhealthy number outstanding, and a lot of eager folks on the SB list! REVISIONS If you've been asked to revise your route please aim to get that in as soon as...
Views: 486   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 25, 2013 12:45am
by John Manning
Eleven weeks
Seventy seven days, this morning. Eleven weeks. Not long, eh?
Views: 427   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 24, 2013 12:56pm
by John woolston
Getting to Sheil Bridge (for Glenelg).
Bit of advice, please. What's the best way of getting from Penrith to Sheil Bridge? I have looked at various combinations of train and bus, but can't work out if it'll be better to hop a bus at Glasgow or Fort Bill. Also, since we will be starting at Glenelg, but hav...
Views: 547   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 23, 2013 8:02pm
by Ian C.
Strathcarron Starters
Is anybody starting at Strathcarron on 10 May?
Views: 498   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 23, 2013 7:38pm
by Waldo
t
Theo
Only 5 days !
to submit your route but I think those who haven't done that by now aren't reading the Message Board. Those on the standby list will be very gratefull
Views: 352   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 23, 2013 7:30am
by Theo
j
Jean P
Footwear
Hello, I wondered if anybody out there could recommend to me a trail shoe with a fairly rigid sole? I dont want to wear my boots but I do need a stiff sole. Any suggestions? Thanks, Jean P
Views: 428   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 21, 2013 10:39pm
by AussieMike
r
Robin
It's very sad but...
I've just completed my route sheets, even though I'm only on the standby list. Not only that, I'm so far down the list that it will need an outbreak of the plague to get me on. Still, I'm all set for next year
Views: 691   Replies: 11
Last Post: Feb 21, 2013 5:27pm
by john donohoe
Montreathmont Moor
Hi, OK after pushing from Mr Manning I'm trying to get this done asap. I'm almost done but I have a problem trying to find anywhere to stay / camp in the area of Montreathmont Moor - anyone found a nice spot around here in the past? Ta
Views: 663   Replies: 10
Last Post: Feb 21, 2013 1:26pm
by Jaya John
l
Laura
Petition for Trump Inquiry
Here is the address for the petition:- http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/public-inquiry-into-handling-of-the-trump-resort
Views: 441   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 21, 2013 12:28am
by Jean Turner
Avian Nomenclature Standardisation Project
Challengers planning to mention any birds in their blogs or written reports should note that the International Ornithological Union have decided that there can be only one name for any bird in a language. Don't tell UKIP, but the robin's official English name is the...
Views: 436   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 20, 2013 2:40pm
by Frederic
Newsletter & Scottish Reunion
Evening all, Copies of the newsletter have been sent to almost 400 folk who applied for this year's TGO CHallenge – they've gone to all solo Challengers and to leaders of groups, with sufficient copies for one per household. With them are Rab fleece order...
Views: 366   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 19, 2013 7:26pm
by John Manning
v
Vicky
Route vetting turn around
Hi all, just wondered how long after submission people are getting their routes back for revisions or notified of acceptance? Really want to get onto the next stage of planning :-) writing the route has made it all come alive and I now spend each day at work thinking...
Views: 413   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 19, 2013 6:35pm
by Vicky
Sleeper Tickets on Sale
Title says it all...get em while they're hot!
Views: 1109   Replies: 25
Last Post: Feb 19, 2013 12:47pm
by William Burton
Excellent light-weight LED torch
Far be it from me to suggest that Challengers need any form of, ah, illumination - but today I bought the very wonderful Led Lenser F1 which weighs but 72gm and puts out a SERIOUS light - up to 150m. My other light-source is one of those baby Petzls that does the bus...
Views: 876   Replies: 16
Last Post: Feb 19, 2013 10:15am
by Humphrey Weightm...
Power line work
Inevitable that many Challengers will encounter construction work along the Beauly/Denny line this May. Info here: http://www.sse.com/BeaulyDenny/ProjectInformation/ Stay safe.
Views: 389   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 18, 2013 1:49pm
by John Manning
Any one got a route?
Evening all, Just spent the day processing the latest batch of routes, vetters' comments and such. If anyone has a route ready to submit, please feel free to do so – I have four vetters waiting with empty hands, eager to rip into what you have to offer!...
Views: 1337   Replies: 36
Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:23pm
by Ian C.
Admin forms
Afternoon all, Just a reminder, if you've not sent in your admin forms already please be sure to do so soon – we'll need your sock sizes at the month-end so we can get the bulk order in!
Views: 379   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 16, 2013 2:19pm
by John Manning
Food stops
Hello to all, Quick question for all you legends who know Tarfside and North Water Bridge! Is there anywhere to get an evening meal at these locations? Be it a tea room, Chippy, Chineese, Indian, restaurant or pub!
Views: 437   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 15, 2013 11:39pm
by Billymaca
c
Colin
Fords of A'an - FWA
Hi I am looking for a FWA for the Fords of A'an. I have crossed at the West end of Loch A'an before but it was fast flowing due to rain and at the time seemed worse than the Ford. Don't recall any bridges down the River A'an for a long way, none shown on 1:25K...
Views: 658   Replies: 8
Last Post: Feb 13, 2013 1:15pm
by John Manning
Faindouran Lodge Bothy
Faindouran Lodge Bothy has a chimney stack collapse being reported. http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=538380 be warned if planning on using it.
Views: 469   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 12, 2013 6:54pm
by Andy Mayhew
t
Theo
Most Valuable Piece of Gear
Best Piece of Gear ! Every hillwalker should have them .
Views: 719   Replies: 15
Last Post: Feb 11, 2013 9:54pm
by Waldo
potable water
During the Challenge and while in the wild, which is the average quality of the water collected from burns/rivers "en route" or at camp in the Highlands ? Potable or not ? Do you need to carry any kind of filtering system and/or some kind of micropur tablets or non...
Views: 651   Replies: 13
Last Post: Feb 11, 2013 1:07pm
by marc.kevers
Rucksack - light but supportive?
For the last few years, I have been using a Golite Pinnacle rucksack for the Challenge. I bought it as an alternative to my trusty old Karrimor Jaguar 65-litre pack. My Challenge pack-weight is usually between 12 and 14kg at various stages on the crossing. Most...
Views: 1083   Replies: 32
Last Post: Feb 11, 2013 11:56am
by Phil Lambert
Another aspect of the challenge Hamish didn't forsee.
Despite the body work being totally out of shape I could until recently cope with the rigours of the challenge but when the engine began to fail alas The Challenge became a no go event. The engine specialist’s advice was, a valve is the major problem and should...
Views: 453   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 11, 2013 11:15am
by John J
g
Gary D
Takeaway food at Allargue Arms, Clock Bridge (and Faindouran missing a wall)
(Except it's not "Clock" of course!) Thought this might be of interest to anyone passing **** Bridge way: just stopped at Allargue Arms after a few days wander in the hills and they said they have a vacuum packing machine and can do food to take away with it if yo...
Views: 405   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 11, 2013 7:45am
by Gary D
Getting into shape for the Challenge
So then! Being Softie Southerners from the Shires, we always find that it's a bit of a struggle getting in shape for the clamber up those Scottish Hills. Lord Elpus, Mad'n'Bad & I usually manage a couple of days away somewhere hilly a fortnight before we head off...
Views: 574   Replies: 7
Last Post: Feb 10, 2013 10:08pm
by Andrew W
Some thoughts from a "first-timer"
There's about one hundred first timers on the Challenge this year. Have a look at this wonderful post from David Williams on his thoughts about his forthcoming Challenge. Everyone will recognise his thoughts. Click HERE
Views: 443   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 10, 2013 4:36pm
by David Williams
Train tickets
Oh yea! In two weeks the advance train tickets will be released, and a Scrambling will begin. Apolgies to all of you well-kent Challengers, but a brief word to the rest of our congretation. When buying tickets, split your journey by operator. So if for example...
Views: 4332   Replies: 15
Last Post: Feb 9, 2013 10:11pm
by Mole
13 Weeks
13 weeks today... Just saying...
Views: 288   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 8, 2013 8:40pm
by alan.sloman
Comfort NOT Obsession - Gear choice?
I read David's excellent blog on his thinking around his first Challenge - ie Some thoughts from a "first timer" that Alan refers to. At the risk of eggs for the sucking of - here is my two pence worth of comment for those folk who are trying to decide what gea...
Views: 382   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 8, 2013 3:05pm
by Gordon Green
Are PHD Sleeping bags worth the price
As the owner of a lovely PHD bag I was looking to see if we could sort Rosie out with a lighter one than she carries already. I was a bit shocked at the increase in the price for extras such as a zip
Views: 603   Replies: 11
Last Post: Feb 7, 2013 7:31pm
by DickieF
Loch Arkaig
I dont know to what extent this will affect walkers but it is worth noting that the bridge and road work at Loch Arkaig is expected to last into May now. http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=67801
Views: 375   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 7, 2013 4:35pm
by nickyrannoch
Foul weather alternatives
Word from the vetters is that a few – thankfully only a few - folk seem to regard FWAs as an inconvenience. Please be assured, we want you to enjoy your Challenge crossing and have a ball. The FWAs, however, are a necessity and are requested out of regard fo...
Views: 872   Replies: 16
Last Post: Feb 5, 2013 10:36pm
by Ian C.
CHALLENGE ROUTES: Feb 28 deadline's approaching
Morning all, Just a reminder that the final deadline for Challenge routes is now on the horizon – at the moment we're waiting for the last 68 routes to come in for vetting. Please note that this final deadline – February 28 – won't be extended...
Views: 481   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 4, 2013 2:13pm
by A Nonny Mouse
route ?
I was on the stand by list and have no idea of a route as yet as I did not want to have a route planned and not get on to the challenge. All I have so far is thinking of starting at mallaig. HELP
Views: 587   Replies: 7
Last Post: Feb 4, 2013 1:36pm
by Jaya John
ROUTE QUALITY
As the final deadline for routes approaches, so it seems the quality of routes submitted is deteriorating. Is it the rush to meet the deadline? Please be sure of the following before hitting the "Send" button. • Have you included both start and finish po...
Views: 582   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 4, 2013 12:13pm
by Gordon Green
North Side of Loch Loyne
Hi Can anyone advise on the suitability of the north shore of Loch Loyne as a FWA instead of the ridge to the north. Is there a path between the end of the Clunie Lodge road and the forest road to the east of Meall Odhar. It's not a huge distance but if the tree...
Views: 539   Replies: 3
Last Post: Feb 3, 2013 10:03am
by Robert Ridgwell
River Crossings and Footwear
I have been surprised by the lack of posts about gear and related matters on these threads - I guess that is a positive thing. Means to an end etc., not the be all and end all, blah, blah. However, at the risk of getting a thousand different answers, I am interested...
Views: 1042   Replies: 21
Last Post: Feb 1, 2013 8:56pm
by leonard
t
terry
garbh choire !!
hi all,whats the situation with glen doe at the moment!! i'm also looking at something else!any of you great leg-ends ever followed the river tarff into garbh choire!!! NH431020, is there any way out of it!!! it looks interesting,, Ho!and that bloody dog has ran off...
Views: 791   Replies: 14
Last Post: Feb 1, 2013 8:48pm
by leonard
e
Eeek!!
14 weeks...
...and counting....
Views: 410   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 1, 2013 4:05pm
by Ian C.
Spot the Challenger...
I was sent this photograph. It's taken on a Sunday morning, in May, in Braemar. It looks like some heartless soul has nicked his boots!
Views: 567   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 30, 2013 11:16am
by terry
Ferry Dalelia to Polloch
Following a start at Archaracle, I'm planning on crossing the loch from Dalelia to Polloch. I know it has been done in the past, does anyone know a contact to arrange a boat from Dalelia please? Many thanks. Simon
Views: 662   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 30, 2013 12:03am
by Bart Horeman
Laggan and Laggan
Thanks to a previous post i discovered that there was more than one Laggan. While i had planned to go through the one on the Caledonian canal , i had been looking at the Speyside Laggan website ... http://www.laggan.com/index.html So it seems the Laggan store...
Views: 485   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 28, 2013 10:44pm
by Waldo
Outstanding route sheets
Outstanding route sheets That's outstanding as-in "unaccounted for", not "wonderfully marvellous and meriting an award" (though of course many are the latter too!) Evening all, Just a heads up: we've still to receive around 90 routes, all-told (not including...
Views: 484   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 28, 2013 10:30pm
by Stuart Fraser
Paging Lou & Phylllis!
Hi Lou & Phyllis, Received your email this weekend and your route well before that; unfortunately my replies aren't getting through to your email address. Your route has been received and vetted, and your vetting comments will be on their way back to you via sn...
Views: 405   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 28, 2013 10:27am
by John Manning
Campsite at Dovecot Farm
Hi All, does anyone have any contact details of the campsite of dovecot Farm, nr Bridgemill grid NO648,663 Thanks
Views: 454   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 27, 2013 6:16pm
by Gaz Holt
Kahtoola Micro Spikes going cheap
If anyone fancies a bit more traction on the snow & ice, Tiso's are doing Kahtoola Micro Spikes at a bargain price at the moment: £27.78 instead of the normal £45.00. If you're near a local shop that's the price you pay. If you have them posted to you it...
Views: 449   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 27, 2013 10:28am
by John J
l
Laura
Rannoch Station tearoom....
Does anyone know the current state of affairs re the tearoom at Rannoch Station - I'm getting conflicting information online.....thanks!
Views: 602   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 25, 2013 9:39pm
by Laura
Scots Gaelic placenames and route planning
Rob Patterson just put up a post which I replied to - somewhat tongue in cheek - with my translations of the relevant placenames. Seriously, however, there's a wealth of information in these names, which may be of value to Challengers puzzling out their routes. Wh...
Views: 505   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 25, 2013 11:41am
by Louise
Route revisions
If you've been asked to revise a route sheet please could you get the revision to us as soon as possible? We're now into the peak vetting season and the team will have a lot of new routes to advise and comment on in the next few weeks. Being able to ensure the rev...
Views: 359   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 25, 2013 7:36am
by John Manning
drochaid na saobhaidhe
not far from my planned 2013 or 2014 route i read : drochaid na saobhaidhe : natural bridge NN368 918 its on the other side on river Roy and no bridge close, so i am wondering about modifying my itinerary. unless i mispelled it i found no info/photos on g**...
Views: 739   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jan 25, 2013 12:03am
by Waldo
w
Willem
Sale INOV8 Terroc 330
May be of interest. INOV8 Terroc 330 for £ 49,99 http://www.ultimateoutdoors.co.uk/item/Brand_Inov8Terroc330TrailShoe_0_0_34186_1.html
Views: 253   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 24, 2013 4:02pm
by Willem
Accommodation Fort william
I'm darting up in April to walk the WHW for the tenth time (will I get a badge?) to make sure legs still in working order before May and need a bed in F.Wm. Can anyone recommend a decent B & B near to the station? Perhaps in that row of guesthouses on the road out...
Views: 432   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 22, 2013 11:35am
by Gordon Green
ROUTES please
Haven't submitted your route yet? 2013 Challengers who've completed five or more crossings are reminded that they have only 10 days in which to get their routes finalised and with the co-ordinator for vetting. We'll have to assume that those whose routes haven't b...
Views: 515   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 22, 2013 9:22am
by Laura
16 weeks... But who's counting?
Sixteen weeks today then... I wonder if Louise has packed?
Views: 508   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 21, 2013 8:49pm
by Jaya John
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31