​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Getting into shape for the Challenge

So then!

Being Softie Southerners from the Shires, we always find that it's a bit of a struggle getting in shape for the clamber up those Scottish Hills. Lord Elpus, Mad'n'Bad & I usually manage a couple of days away somewhere hilly a fortnight before we head off to Scotland. This invariably involves meeting up in a pub, with the inevitable difficulty that that brings: Leaving it.

How are your preparations going?

Here's ours:

TGO2013 PreWalkDaunder

Our planned route (should we actually follow it!) can be found by clicking HERE

Re: Getting into shape for the Challenge

I'm already in shape. I understand Pear is this year's preferred shape, low centre of gravity and all that!

I've heard that one should endeavor to put on an extra 10kg of weight. It then serves as a contingency against having your gas canister confiscated at the airport as you don't have to eat anything for a fortnight.

And you will be back to your normal weight by the time you get to Montrose.

I'm sorted then, ha!

I've already started the getting in shape bit. It's difficult because of work, study (doing a degree with the OU as well as working full time!) and the fact that until recently it's been dark by the time I get home.

Not too worried about the distances, it's the distances with pack that I'm concentrating on as I haven't done that for a long time . . .

Having had a few days off this week, I have been tramping around Dartmoor, coast path etc - anything with a bit of "up". We'll gloss over the bit where I slid gracefully down a mud slope, tipped forward and the weight of the pack kept me going until I was horizontal and face down in the mud. I jumped on the scales this morning and discovered I have put on 4 lb this week - that wasn't supposed to happen!

Completed training today. Did 2 hours on the hills nearby. So that's me sorted now until the challenge start. I think I probably over did it,maybe half an hour would have been better. Still managed to avoid too many torn ligaments and muscles so the 13 weeks or so to the off should give them time to heal as long as I avoid any further exercise.
Russ

Good to see you are not over doing it Russ

Will you be doing the Challenge with Mr J Daniels?
Best start that training soon Russ!

Oh.... You have?