​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Acharacle start?

I am considering supporting the sign-out point hotel by staying the night before starting, but find that they have no single rooms. Is there any female challenger starting from Acharacle on Friday 10th interested in sharing a twin bedded room at the Loch Shiel House Hotel on the night of 9th May? It is not cheap, but I am awaiting confirmation of the price, having mentioned the Challenge.

Re: Acharacle start?

The hotel might give you a slight discount for the Challenge but I wouldn't count on it. I doubt it is that busy for much of the year. Eat in the bar and not the restaurant!

You might want to make sure of your travel plans to get there. A couple of years ago the bus I was hoping to take from Fort William disappeared off the timetable and I ended up having to book a tact from Lochaillort!

Sorry Kirsten, I can't help with the room-mate (as I am starting from Ardrishaig) but I support what Andy says about travel to Acharacle. A few years ago, the bus which I thought was timetabled turned out not to have existed. I ended up hitching a lift from a Local who'd been pointed out to me by the Corran ferryman.

Thanks, Andy and Judith for your advice. I've now heard from the hotel and they are offering a 10% discount. I'm intending to start a couple of days earlier from Ardnamurchan, so hope to be walking into Acharacle from the west. Might have similar problems getting transport out there, but will check it out.

Hi Judith, train to Oban, ferry to Craignure, bus to Tobermory, ferry to Kilchoan. Easy-peasy. The coastal walk from Ardnamurchan to Acharacle is a classic.

Not me, John. It's Kirsten who is looking for the Acharacle tips!

(But I shall bear it in mind for my second turn round all of the start points!)

As it happens I rang Shiel buses the other day to check my travel connections.
They told me the Ft.William-Kilchoan bus timetable was the same year round (It drops at Acharacle).
Whether this happens in practice who knows...

oops sorry Judith,
These start points beginning with A are just too confusing. If I'd noticed it was Kirsten I wouldn't have bothered-I'm sure she knows the area better than I do.

Hi Kirsten,

Last year I added a few extra days to the Challenge and did Arnamurchan Point to Peterhead.

Shiel Buses run a Monday to Saturday a service, number 506 from Fort William (1327hrs) to Kilchoen (1605hrs) via Acharacle (1445 hrs) Passing the Loch Shiel Hotel.

Shiel Buses - telephone:01967 431 272. e-mail: shiel.buses@btconnect.com

Staff I had dealings with at the bus company were very helpful. They allowed me to drop of a food parcel at Acharacle and continue the journey to Kilchoan, where I eventually camped in the grounds of the Sonachan Hotel.

I have quoted from my 2012 timetable so its worth checking the times I have quoted are still correct for this year

Hi Kirsten,

Unless you want to take the two ferries, the Shiel bus should take you to Kilchoan too.
In 2011 I took the 10:00 bus from Glasgow to Fort William, dropped off at Corran Ferry, where I nearly missed the Shiel bus while having a coffee in the ferry pub.
The bus took me to the Shiel bus depot in Acharacle, before turning back and on to Kilchoan - a wonderful ride, more than 2 hours for 5 and a half pounds.
In Kilchoan it ended at the local shop.
I had a wonderful afternoon's walk to the Point, where I camped next to the lighthouse.

The north coastline of Ardnamurchan is fantastic: views on Rhum, Eigg and the Cuilins all the way!

Good luck,

Bart Horeman

Thanks to David and Bart for fleshing out the details of my post and putting my mind at rest that the bus will be there.Much appreciated.

Hi,

Acharacle and the rest of Ardnamurchan is a wonder land. The best travels are Oban-Tobermory-Kilchoan route or, if you have the time to spent, the Wednesday only Loch Shiel cruise Glenfinnan - Acharacle. Both ways are sheer beauty !!

Bring the phone numbers of the Hotel, and Shiel Buses Acharacle. They will help you out or even pick you up anywhere on Ardnamurchan if you do get stranded, which is very unlikely. All of them very nice people.

Rolf

Tobermory/Kilchoan is the way to go for Acharacle starters. In 2011 I alighted the bus at Laga Bay, dipped a toe in the water and walked via Ben Laga and the old drove road over to Acharacle. Splendid views in all directions.Link to Shiel buses timetables here... http://www.shielbuses.co.uk/timetable01.html

Hi Kirsten
I have a route planned from Acharacle but as yet no place on the Challenge....boohoo!! Given my number on the Standby List I may not get in..... but I would have shared with you.......

Many thanks everyone for the helpful advice about getting there - I didn't realise there were so many alternatives!

As nobody has picked up on the idea of sharing a room at the Loch Shiel House Hotel on 9th May, I'll just have to go ahead and make my own arrangements. Hope you are lucky, Laura.