​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Scots Gaelic placenames and route planning

Rob Patterson just put up a post which I replied to - somewhat tongue in cheek - with my translations of the relevant placenames. Seriously, however, there's a wealth of information in these names, which may be of value to Challengers puzzling out their routes.

When the Ordnance Survey created the base mapping in Scotland back in the 19th century they retained local names - unlike in Ireland, where they went for an ugly combination of guesswork and phonetics.

Challengers looking at map features from outwith Scotland may puzzle. But all these names have clear meaning, and can shed light on ground conditions. Yes, there are many "Small lumpy brown hills", but there are also "Roaring Corries", "Terrier Hills" - and the very wonderful "Blister Hill" east of Blair Atholl. Aptly named.

I'm no linguist, and I torment my friends by telling them that Scots Gaelic is simply Irish with unusual spelling. But if any Challenger is looking for rough translations, I'd be happy to help. Email me off-board and I'll do my best.

If your chosen route along a river-course translates as "Black Mire" then you may wish to reconsider! But if it's "Sweet sunshine" then yr home and dry.

John Donahoe, Vetter Extraordinaire and fine Gaelic scholar can correct any and all of my errors.

Re: Scots Gaelic placenames and route planning

JD was very supportive of my versions of Gaelic placenames. I think he said words to the effect that they were "brave but futile".

Further to this particular rant - the definitive reference work is Peter Drummond's very wonderful "Scottish Hill Names: Their Origin and Meaning" - Click here to take a look.

This gives you a good working knowledge - and once you've read through you'll have a clear understanding as to how the naming brings the landscape to life.

Peter's book is a wonderful introduction, and he leads you through a mighty wealth of information. He doesn't set out to create an index - rather to act as a guide.

I'd contrast this with the Ordnance Survey listing of Scots Gaelic and Welsh names, which is fine and workmanlike, but is a little . . . ah . . . wooden. And not particularly accurate. Sometimes it seems that they've simply used a dictionary.

Over my past Challenges I've looked at a multitude of local names that give joy and pleasure. An example would be the rocky outcrop just NW of Derry Lodge - Creag Bad an t'Seabhaig, which I'd translate as – The rock with a thicket where the hawks live. Knowing this you can look to your right and hope to see them!

Or, again, just NW of Ali and Sue's gaff in Newtownmore, at NH 680 008 we find Creag nan Abhag - Terrier's Rock.

I'd urge all Challengers to take a look at these place-names, and, within reason(!) am happy to provide garbled translations. Usual terms and conditions apply - running tab at The Fife and/or The Park.

Behind the house at Crathie is 'Creag a' Chamlain' which someone once told me was 'Rocky Hill of the Buzzards' - there is certainly at least one breeding pair there as we see them often. If you're TGOC walking from Braemar to Ballater keep the binoculars handy....

A little research into placenames does bring the landscape alive with the various peoples who lived there over the centuries, Britons, Picts, Gaels, Norse, and Northumbrian Angles. Creag a' Chlamhain could also refer to a kite, of the feathery rather than stringy variety, though buzzard is just as likely.

Ooops! I did spell 'Chlamhain' wrong!

Tutt!