​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
North Side of Loch Loyne

Hi
Can anyone advise on the suitability of the north shore of Loch Loyne as a FWA instead of the ridge to the north.
Is there a path between the end of the Clunie Lodge road and the forest road to the east of Meall Odhar. It's not a huge distance but if the trees are impassable it could be a better idea to head south to Glen Garry.

I have viewed Geograph but there are hardly any photos for that area which I take to be a bad sign.

Colin

Re: North Side of Loch Loyne

Hi Colin
I've not walked that way but the satellite images from my Routebuddy mapping show none of the trees making it to the shore and it looks like a clear run, if that's any help?

From the end of the old road climb below Carn na Nathrach but stay above the forest. When you get to Allt Coire na Creadha follow the burn down to the forest road which will take you to the A87. No path but no problems.

I went this way in the bad weather last year, and once you get to the point where the old A road reaches the North side, it is perfectly possible just to make your way clockwise round the lochside edge itself. I recommend however that if coming from the west, you ascend up to the old A road as soon as it comes in view (I didn't - and regretted it!)