​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ROUTE QUALITY

As the final deadline for routes approaches, so it seems the quality of routes submitted is deteriorating.

Is it the rush to meet the deadline? Please be sure of the following before hitting the "Send" button.

• Have you included both start and finish point on P1, with dates.

• Have you included all team members' names and (where appropriate) mobile numbers on P1 (someone forgot to include their own name…!)

• Are your heights and distances in metric units and are they accurate?

• Is there enough detail in your route description to enable vetters to be sure about your intentions?

• Have you identified Munros and Corbetts on the route, and indicated the ascent/descent routes?

• Have you included the correct OS 150,000 Landranger sheet numbers (no more 1:25,000 sheet numbers, please).

• Are all your named waypoints identifiable on 1:50,000 sheets? Anyone using 1:25,000 or even 1:10,000 sheets will have their routes returned for revision.

• Have you included the name(s), phone number(s) and relationship(s) of your emergency home contact(s)?

• Have you given BOTH date and locations for your FOUR (minimum) phone-in points? Please don't use either your start point as a phone-in , or your finish point on the east coast.

• Please give details of planning methods used in the appropriate box on P2. And indicate how many SYHA vouchers (you only need one per person for the fortnight, not one per night) are required.

You would not believe how much time a well-presented route saves. The vetters all volunteer their time, generously, and check your routes very thoroughly, investing a lot of time in each – time they could be spending out in the hills. Please respect their enormous contribution by taking the time to complete route sheets properly.

It might be that one or two of the above errors aren't that grievous in themselves. However, an increasing number of routes feature many omissions/errors etc of the kind listed.

So please double check your route before sending… thank you!

Rant over…

Re: ROUTE QUALITY

I was really impressed by the thoroughness of the vetting of my route and the comments and advice back was so helpful. Thanks to Les and Issy and to all the volunteers working for the event. Take a bow folks.

I will second that. Many thanks to some kind words that led me to rethink a section before I finalised my route. Ta Roger!

Yea, I will third that