​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drishell

Looking for some thoughts and advice from more learned folks such as yourselves...

I'm planning using an MLD Duomid with Polycro ground sheet for my first crossing in May (I have a mesh inner with bathtub floor but is a two person and weighs 450.)

Now, I have a custom PHD bag with a Drishell outer, which is supposed to be fairly damp proof (I know the seams aren't sealed etc).

I had not planned on taking a bivi bag (spent enough already although I have an alpkit Hunka if needed) but wondering if anyone has actual experience of Drishell and whether the non-bivi option is sensible?

Many thanks in advance for your wisdom and wisecracks!

Stuart

Re: Drishell

Hi Stuart

As I understand you, you'll be using your Duomid, and your Plycro ground sheet but with no inner.

I have a PHD drishell sleeping bag and my shelter is a Warmlite 2C, whose end cones are made from single skin silnylon (the main centre section is a sealed double skin.)

As you know, you will get condensation on the underside of your Duomid and with a fierce battering rain storm this will create a 'mist' inside your shelter. This is okay for one night, as your drishell sleeping bag should cope with that. However for a few nights of this and packing away a slightly damp bag you will begin to lose quite a bit of loft.

For this reason I use a RAB Ultra Bivi (about 180 grams) which keeps the moisture at bay which means I am guaranteed a toasty night's sleep. It also adds an extra bit of warmth - not much but noticeable - and helps keep your bag clean in bothies.

I hope this helps.

I don't have a PHD bag, just a non dri-shell Marmot something or other.
But since I have PHD toasty down pantaloons, I don't need a bag that goes down to -n.

So back to bivvy bags.

I have used a Warmlite like Al's and now favour the Trailstar with a nest
(cos I is not as 'ard as that bloke from Naaarwich wot will be along accusing me of whimpdom shortly).

Anyway, I found that I did get moisture through condensation and touching edges on the foot of my bag. After a few days in the hills, if the bag cannot get a chance to dry then I find this can start to creep up, so I now take an MLD Ultralight bivvy that weighs in at around 200g.
But it keeps any moisture off.
I don't always use it all the way up, but often just fold it over the bottom half.

And that's what does for me.

Cheers folks, food for thought!

Alan, quite correct, now I read it back it wasn't as clear as it could have been!

I got an email from someone saying that they used their Drishell bag in a Scarp1 last year when it was very wet and had no issues...

My Bivi bag is an Alpkit Hunka XL which is 560g or there abouts so it's a last resort.
Maybe I should just take my inner tent- lighter and bug proof in case there are Midgies out early except the walls are all net so probably still need a bivi

I am on the look out for second hand lightweight Bivy's though, but must be circa. 200g.

My poor wife is getting exasperated as my constant search for kit!!!

Alan- I believe we have a mutual friend- Was lunching with Janet Donnely on Monday- small world!

Cheers folks

Stuart

Stuart Fraser
Maybe I should just take my inner tent- lighter and bug proof in case there are Midgies out early except the walls are all net so probably still need a bivi

I am on the look out for second hand lightweight Bivy's though, but must be circa. 200g.

Alan- I believe we have a mutual friend- Was lunching with Janet Donnely on Monday- small world!

Taking a lightweight bivi instead of your inner will only save you the weight of a pack of butter... I think I would take the inner and no bivi, but that's a personal thing - I wouldn't resent the extra weight for the additional midge and warmth benefits.

Give my love to Janet - she's a wonderful girl!

Alan, that sound like a good compromise, and my only hesitation is the fact the walls are all mesh- not solid and so I am unsure how much "fine mist" protection my bag will get.

I'm hoping to get out in the tent soon (only just got it) and see how it goes!

Cheers again

Stuart

In my experience, mesh won't give adequate protection from the mist produced from condensation and it makes sense to take some kind of bivy bag protection. Unfortunately the RAB ultra doesn't seem to be available, nor the equally light Equinox bivy bag. It's probably too late to order anything from MLD.

Addendum: the RAB Suvival Zone Lite weighs 236g and might be worth a look http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/rab_survival_zone_lite,_ultralight_bivi_bag.html

Cheers for all the opinions folks.

I have decided to make an enquiry with Bearpaw Wilderness Designs re: a solo inner with ripstop on 3 sides and a ripstop/mesh combo on the door- will be useful for winter use and save me buying a new bivi bag. Should be here well before the crossing!

Stuart