​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
River Crossings and Footwear

I have been surprised by the lack of posts about gear and related matters on these threads - I guess that is a positive thing. Means to an end etc., not the be all and end all, blah, blah. However, at the risk of getting a thousand different answers, I am interested in what experienced challengers wear on their feet for river crossings and the tack taken to get across. Trail shoes and plunge right in? Crocks? Aquashoes? Jimmy Choos? Boots with faffing to remove socks / not faffing to remove socks? Other? And do people bother carrying any "camp" footwear?

Re: River Crossings and Footwear

All of my footwear is very manly. However, people wear things such as Crocs. I wear some old sandals. I have been known to enjoy crossing so much in my sandals that I return to the oppoosite bank and recross just for the hell of it. Either that or I left my boots on the other side (dhuhh).
Socks are normally removed.
If its very deep, you might have to remove additional clothing.
If its very very deep, you may hire a boat or take a ferry.
Some people, who wear trainers, or "pumps" as we used to call them, just wade through streams without stopping.
Its also normal to wear a kind of rictus smile and speak whilst breathing IN whilst crossing as you pretend that its not really all that cold....

I wouldn't be classed as an experienced Challenger yet, but I whip off my boots and socks, pop on my waterproof sandals, (I kid you not, they are labelled so) and wade. There may be a sharp intake of breath and some whinging and whining as I cross.

Makes putting dry, cosy socks on when you've reached the other side absolutely sublime.

Hi David

I've been wearing lightweight trail shoes for the last three Challenges but this year I'm switching back to my trusty old leather Scarpa Nepals.

Our route this year has a possibility of snow for long stretches and routes off the tops on north facing steep slopes, like coming off Creag Meagaidh down to the window. I don't fancy that in trail shoes so am going back to boots with spikey attachments.

For river crossings, if it's a lovely sunny day and I have dry tootsies, I'll whip the boots off and slip into something lighter and sexier, but if it's sh1tty and wet & horrible (ie just like a normal day on the Challenge) then I'll just plough across in my boots. The socks & boots dry out eventually. I really don't see the point of teetering about on rocks in rivers trying to keep my feet dry if it ends up with a slip and a bruising dunking. Been there and done that too many times.

The footwear you choose is an entirely personal thing - wear what you feel is comfortable for you.

CROCS..

Humphrey will be along in a minute and berate me for using the C word.
Unless my feet are already soaked, in which case.......

When I've worn shoes I just walk through the water. If I'm wearing boots I use crocs. I used to use Kean sandals which are very good for river crossing and comfortable round camp but weigh more than my boots, Asolo Creek 395g.

Ian C.

Words. Fail. Me.

Gore-tex lined boots and Paramo gaiters. OK up to the top of the gaiters, any deeper than that and you are getting into marginal territory so it's probably off with the socks (and much else) and back on with the boots for a very careful crossing using trekking poles (and wife) for support.
Check out http://www.mcofs.org.uk/water-hazards-dvd.asp

Crocs, crocs, crocs, crocs, crocs, or cheap equivalent from China. Light as a feather and dry out in minutes for camp site and "evening dress" use. After all, challenge gear should be multi-task.

Aligators ate all the crocs

Hi

If it is dry country I am hiking in (NOT Scotland) I just cross the river in my boots as the cool water will be welcome and the boots and socks will soon dry out. I may take them off on the other side to drain out the water.

If it has been a wet & boggy day the boots are already wet so the clean water will wash off the mud and if they dry, will be nice and clean.

I keep dry socks in my sleeping bag for nights.

William

Hmm. This Ugg-Croc Hybrid could be just the business for smart-casual evening wear . . .

Oh! Gimme, gimme, style queen of the hills.

Don't need anything...... simply walk over.

Humphrey Weightman
Hmm. This Ugg-Croc Hybrid could be just the business for smart-casual evening wear . . .

Even a chap who sports Crocs on very rare occasions has to find those a hideous abomination.
Probably quite popular in Essex.

HOLEY SOLES!!!

Lighter than Crocs - weigh about 130g each!

Check out the style: https://picasaweb.google.com/105097122787345545414/TGOChallenge2011DornieLunanBay#5612573500207315602

David - I am totally with you on the Holey Soles - very stylish. Just don't try stamping in tent pegs with them.

With Will Burton on this.None of my boots have other than a leather
lining.They do and will get wet in long grass/ vegitation, anyway.
The "leather only", also dries more quickly than "padded linings". And
weighs much less when wet,I just walk on through. Cheers.

Terrocs and Sealskinz combo works for me. I gave my Crocs to a charity shop.

Surf Slippers.

Yeti gaiters if you can get them on your boots and a quick 2 step
across to slow and the water gets through the zips
Cheers & Beers