​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Avian Nomenclature Standardisation Project

Challengers planning to mention any birds in their blogs or written reports should note that the International Ornithological Union have decided that there can be only one name for any bird in a language. Don't tell UKIP, but the robin's official English name is the European Robin! The Arctic Skua is now the Parasitic Jaeger, and the Black-throated Diver is an Arctic Loon. Anyone using illegal names such as Pied Wagtail will be beaten round the head with the thigh bone of a Dodo. Mentioning Bonxtie, Tystie, Laverock, Tammie Norrie, Speug or Muircock is a capital offence, death by tickling with the tail feather of a Hen Harrier, er, sorry Northern Harrier.
Peewit no more! Red Grouse no more!

Re: Avian Nomenclature Standardisation Project

I bet the French are seriously pi**ed off as they will lose their Rouge George!

Looks like our neighbours have pulled a fast one. The wee red breasted chook is called rougegorge familier. No mention of Europe there.

I honestly thought this was a wind-up.

Red grouse are now to be known as "Willow Ptarmigan"

It's not all bad news,however, as Challenge twitchers looking for a shag can now broaden their experience by searching for a European Shag.

I would have thought a better name for the Red Grouse would have been the Communist Grumpy!!!

3 kinds of birds

Until recently i knew only 2 kind of birds

- edible

- not edible

- now there is a third

http://www.demotivateur.fr/watermark.php?src=images/demotivateur_img/imgresize/26213666050126533a535d_images%20%2857%29.jpg