Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
d
DM
Wigan Freecycle
If you haven't come across it, a useful recycling site is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wiganfreecycle/ It's for people who want to recycle items rather than throw them away. All sorts of items are disposed of and requested, and it's worth a look if you're kee...
Views: 206   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 10, 2006 1:37pm
by DM
j
Julian
tonights meeting
Id like to take this chance to thank every1 who turned up for tonights meeting at stubshaw cross. It was an overwhelming success for the 6 of us in the action group. we cant thank you all enough for the clear support you showed us tonight and i know for a fact cer...
Views: 186   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 29, 2006 11:54pm
by Ian
extention to south lancs estate
a public meeting concerning this is to be held at 7pm Thursday 29 June at Stubshaw Cross labour club please get everybody with an interest to attend
Views: 192   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 28, 2006 1:34pm
by Ian
j
Julian
Ashton - Stubshaw Residents Meeting Regarding New Industrial Estate
The M . A . D. Group are holding a residents meeting for Ashton and Stubshaw on Thursday 29th June 2006 at Stubshaw Cross Labour Club Doors Open at 7.00pm. The purpose of the meeting is to bring awareness to our campaign to stop this project every going ahead....
Views: 190   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 26, 2006 11:48am
by Julian
j
Julian
PHOTOS WANTED
i was wondering does any1 have any photos they can email me of stubshaw and ashton in days gone past. i have some off the wiganworld site but want some more preferably of stubshaw. many thanks in advance Julian
Views: 217   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 24, 2006 6:02pm
by Julian
a
Alan
New House Rules
Hi David This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Abusive, threatening and party political posts will be removed and those misusing this forum...
Views: 255   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 21, 2006 3:51pm
by Andrede
Footpath, Three Sisters to the canal and Wigan flashes
Update to the thread regarding the footpath from the Three Sisters at Landgate Lane/Bryn gates Lane to the canal and Bamfurlong. This footpath appears on the Ordnance Survey map “Explorer series sheet 276 map ref SD 58577 01729” and is now identified at...
Views: 170   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 19, 2006 12:24am
by Friends of Three...
c
Chris
Magazine in Ashton?
Hope someone out there can help? My mum's asked my to find some contact details for a magazine that apparently goes out in Ashton, because she was in it recently. I don't know what it's called, but I've looked for references on the internet to no avail. Does su...
Views: 271   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 28, 2006 6:53pm
by DM (David McKend...
d
DM
Land Rover for sale
I'm finally selling my 1973 88" diesel Land Rover and am open to offers. It's tax exempt, and has been in light use over the past four years for conservation work round Wigan. It needs some work to get it through MOT, and as I can only drive automatics now it has...
Views: 168   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 24, 2006 11:31pm
by DM
Keys Found
I went to my tool drawer today only to find my house keys??? I would have never have looked for them there!! Just goes to show dont it? Its like when my dad recently went to the opticians complaining of short-sightedness. The optician took him outside and said...
Views: 171   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 23, 2006 9:27pm
by Andrede
Intimidated by kids
Recently I was accosted by a gang of girls , aged 13-16, outside a local off-license. They were asking me to buy beer and cigarettes for them . I was taunted when I refused. I noticed that they were jeering at a customer that had just left the shop before me, I p...
Views: 319   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 13, 2006 10:22am
by Cllr.Nigel Ash
Gustavus Hillock, Ashton
Here I am again with another question about old addresses in Ashton. I have relatives living at Gustavus Hillock in 1871 - district of Holy Trinity in Ashton. It is transcribed on the 1871 census as 'Gustavious Hillock' but a net search leads me to think that it was...
Views: 380   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 9, 2006 9:37pm
by Alan
Red Lion Pub
Can anybody tell me if that crumbling crappy looking old building in Gerard Street THE RED LION PUB is a listed building. ??
Views: 286   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 7, 2006 11:19pm
by me
Dobbs Court, Ashton
Hello everyone. During the course of my family tree research, I have soem relatives that lived in Dobbs Court Ashton, in 1871/1881. I have asked my mum, who has lived in Ashton all her life, and she thinks it was over behind St.Thomas's church - near A Court and so...
Views: 224   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 6, 2006 12:33pm
by Andrede
a
Alan
Early Riser
Hi I may be an anorak for doing it, I am not sure if the reason is, getting up at 3.15am to go to work or switching on my computer at 3.20am. Maybe both, but did I imagine a posting about Nigel Ash being referred to the police re "Representation of The People's Act"...
Views: 208   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 2, 2006 1:55pm
by Moderator
Ashton Linen and Woolen Stock Charity
At last Wednesday's full council meeting, the council voted overwhelmingly to oppose the charity's attempt to sever its links with the council for political reasons.
Views: 201   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 2, 2006 1:13am
by Claire Daington
d
DM
Ashton Linen and Woollen Stock Charity.
The council's decision regarding its ability to nominate Trustees is irrelevant. To remain a charity, by charity law the ALWSC has to be independent of political influence. The Trustees are correct in insisting that Trusteeship is a matter of individual worth rather...
Views: 247   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 1, 2006 1:36pm
by DM
Who are we voting for?
Hello, I am a little confused . I received a flyer today through the post labelled " Community News". The publisher was Claire Daington . On it states that "Cllr Claire Daington has been reported as expelled by CAP." So... which party is she representing in th...
Views: 241   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 30, 2006 2:58pm
by Sparko
unsworths of ashton in 1780's
I'm looking for anyone who is researching the line of joseph unsworth born 1787 in ashton. he married an elizabeth ? about 1826 in ashton does anyone have an idea of elizabeths last name prior to marriage
Views: 224   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 29, 2006 10:30pm
by DM
i
Ian
Gangs in Ashton and surrounding area
Who would be the best person to contact who could give me information about the action being taken to combat the gangs of youths who are out and about drinking and intimidating the people of the Ashton and the surrounding area. Thanks
Views: 312   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 24, 2006 11:50am
by DM
Dont Park on the Heath please.
Hello. I would like to congratulate the Ashton Heath Residents Association (AHRA) on their excellent work on the Restoration Project. Their work, however , has been marred by cars parking on the Heath. At the start of the Heath where Heath Rd splits , an ugly m...
Views: 373   Replies: 13
Last Post: Apr 17, 2006 4:19pm
by neil
Ashton Linen and Woollen Stock Charity
At Monday night's meeting of the coucil's Overview and Scrutiny Committee, the decision of the council's cabinet to support the charity's severing of its links with the council was rejected. The committee voted unanimously to refer the decision to a full council meet...
Views: 161   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 14, 2006 1:43am
by Claire Daington
WAFC coaching
The website information is out-of-date. WAFC coaching is now taking place at St Edmund Arrowsmith High School every Monday evening from 6.00pm to 8.00 pm (but not Easter Monday!) This is again sponsored by the TCSG and supported by ward councillors and community r...
Views: 164   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 14, 2006 1:31am
by Claire Daington
a
Alan
Skateboard at Easter?
Is it true that there is to be a mobile skateboard facility on the Market Square over Easter? I believe it is to be paid for from Brighter Bourough money. I have not seen anything on the community or youth part of this website, the moderator is usually up to speed...
Views: 169   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 14, 2006 1:18am
by Claire Daington
i
Ian
Cricket Stadim and Traffic
Surely the proposal of a 25,000 seater stadium along with the "much needed hotel and cenference centre" being placed on the 3 sisters site has got to be hoax ! The traffic around Ashton is approaching grid-lock already : there is a tail back everyday from Ashton t...
Views: 199   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 7, 2006 6:53pm
by Ian
Embarrasing amount of litter
Hello , I have a friend coming to visit soon that has never been to Ashton before. I am really going to be embarrassed by the amount of litter around our area. If you talk a walk down Mill St from the Heath , and look to your left you will see what looks like...
Views: 186   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 24, 2006 10:38pm
by Andrede
i
Ian
Parking on the Pavements
Hello, I am sure most people do not like pavement parking, yet I never hear it mentioned. While I agree it does not merit being top of the councils list I do think that the problem of cars using the pavement for parking has now got so bad it has to addr...
Views: 323   Replies: 7
Last Post: Mar 24, 2006 7:47pm
by Ian
Three Sisters
A friend of mine recently wrote to me ...." Circa 1970, there was a terrific detailed model of this entire area in the Geology Museum in South Kensington. It was part of an exhibition called 'The Wigan Alps': a grand 1960s scheme to landscape ski slopes etc out of T...
Views: 399   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 24, 2006 11:41am
by tited
Big Thank You Event
The Big Thank You Event for this year is being held at The Byrchall High School on February 8th. Starts at 6:00pm, should finish at 8:00pm. The BTY is a celebratory event recognising the good work done by all people on a voluntary basis. If you know of anybody who...
Views: 169   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 23, 2006 4:12pm
by J
Re-opening the message board
I am intending re-opening the message board in the form in which it has operated for several years until recent political battles soured it. Those people from a certain political party who have used it to peddle their political views, abuse and threaten legal action...
Views: 359   Replies: 23
Last Post: Mar 22, 2006 1:48pm
by stacey farmer
a
Andy
Garswood Hall Colliery
Does anyone know what year Garswood Hall Colliery closed? My father seems to think it was 1952 but my research shows 1958. Also, does anyone know whether it was a NCB site or a a Smeth's? Thanks.
Views: 252   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 12, 2006 9:06am
by Alan Edwards
i
Ian
25,000 seat Cricket Stadim
Does anyone know where the proposed stadium for the Lancashire cricket team is to be built ? It is said to be a 25,000 seater. One paper said it was "south of Wigan". See the site http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/counties/lancashire/4774586.stm Ian
Views: 209   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 8, 2006 11:20pm
by DM
JUST A MINUTE
Just a minute or two every two to three weeks is about all that this forum justifies. Sad but true. See you later.
Views: 392   Replies: 10
Last Post: Mar 4, 2006 2:01am
by Section8
Family history - Johnson/Finn/Sim
My Grandmother was Rose Hannah Johnson born in Ashton in Makerfield in about 1886. Her father was Paul Johnson and her mother was Alice Finn (nee Sim). They lived at a place called Backend Farm - I suppose that it isn't really a farm and wonder if it still exists...
Views: 243   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 6, 2006 8:58am
by Phil
Sudworth Family History Homepage
I've just done quite a big update on my family history webpage - so if anyone is related to someone called Sudworth... take a look! http://homepages.tesco.net/elizabeth.sudworth/family/
Views: 445   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 4, 2006 12:46pm
by Andrede
d
DM
Google Earth
I'm still finding out things about Google Earth, and it really is an amazing project. Is anyone else exploring the various aspects of it? - David -
Views: 224   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 12, 2006 7:53pm
by spike hughes
Crompton's
Does anyone have a history of Crompton's? I want to add some information on this important Ashton employer to the Community Forum website - I have some photos of the factory but could do with a precis of its history. - David -
Views: 270   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 5, 2006 11:02am
by Andrede
William Greenall/Greenough/Greenell
My father was from Simms Lane End. I am looking for information on WILLIAM GREENALL also spelt Greenough and Greenell who according to IGI was born abt. 1746. He was at one time a cabinetmaker and lived in Billinge when he married his first wife ELIZABETH HEALWOOD. H...
Views: 275   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 13, 2005 9:00am
by Cienwen Hickey
d
DM
Manhattan Night Club
Thanks for reminding me of the name of the nightclub, Phil. I only went a couple of times - I worked at Winwick Hospital then, and the social club there was our normal watering hole. I wonder why the Manhattan closed - it seemed popular when I visited it?...
Views: 338   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 12, 2005 9:49am
by DM
Eating out in Ashton
We're visiting Ashton this weekend. Can anyone recommend a good place to eat?
Views: 278   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 5, 2005 11:29pm
by DM
Theft at Three Sisters
Toowit-twoo-to-who has our owl flown. Just two days after rangers placed a four foot wood sculpture of an owl in the bird feeding station at the Three Sisters recreation area it has been stolen. The owl was sculptured at a Family fun day in 2004 and has been in sto...
Views: 316   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 28, 2005 10:25pm
by Vic Greenwood
Middlehurst family history
Dear Sirs, In tracing my family tree, I have found that my family MIDDLEHURST lived in Bamfurlong Farm, Abram, around the 1800's. Thomas Middlehurst b1825, (father William b1781& mother Jane Rawlinson b1786, farmer, who had at least 12 children) one of the sons...
Views: 304   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 24, 2005 5:51pm
by Marcus I Middleh...
Well done, Dave McKendrick
Dave McKendrick I have just observed that you have significantly "rebranded" this website. I'm not sure when you did it, as I didn't generally look at it unless someone complained to me about specific content. I am happy to see that it no longer claims to be th...
Views: 356   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 13, 2005 1:39pm
by Alan Edwards
Ashton Market
Resulting from a series of meetings between Ashton ward councillors and officers of WMBC, a number of improvements to the market have been given the go-ahead, and more are planned subject to funding being obtained. New fencing has already been erected to the rear...
Views: 274   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 13, 2005 1:54am
by Claire Daington
Wigan Athletic Football in the Community
Wigan Athletic Football in the Community are currently running football coaching sessions in Jubilee Parks every Thursday evening from 6.00pm to 8.00pm. There is no charge, and no booking is required, but a parental consent form must be completed for under-16's. T...
Views: 191   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 13, 2005 1:36am
by Claire Daington
Road safety
We are pleased to inform everyone that following ongoing discussions with traffic engineers, and a meeting between Ashton ward councillors and Peter Taylor, WMBC Director of Engineering, that additional parking/waiting restrictions are to be implemented on Golborne r...
Views: 221   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 13, 2005 1:07am
by Claire Daington
IP addresses 195.188.243.2 and 195.188.243.25
Because of spoof and party political content being posted from two IP addresses allocated to Wigan Council (and used by Councillors Tushingham and Daington), both these IP addresses have been barred.
Views: 359   Replies: 8
Last Post: Sep 12, 2005 6:01pm
by Moderator
Banned
The person posting from Wigan Council's IP address 195.188.243.25 (previously used by Councillor Paul Tushingham) has been banned for impersonating MP Ian McCartney. - Moderator -
Views: 433   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 12, 2005 5:50pm
by Moderator
d
DC
The Lombardy Poplars of St Thomas's Church
Are there any plans for new trees to be planted?
Views: 218   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 12, 2005 3:58pm
by Paul Tushingham
Community Action no better than Labour, Both out of touch with Youth
I am a 19 year old member of the Ashton community and welcomed the arrival of the Community Action Party as an alternative to an increasingly stale Labour Party. They campaigned on the premise that they were in touch with the Ashton people and would represent us acco...
Views: 231   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 12, 2005 3:48am
by Claire Daington
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Free Forum powered by Bravenet