Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ashton Linen and Woollen Stock Charity.

The council's decision regarding its ability to nominate Trustees is irrelevant. To remain a charity, by charity law the ALWSC has to be independent of political influence. The Trustees are correct in insisting that Trusteeship is a matter of individual worth rather than political affiliation.

The Charity Commissioners will ensure that this is so, or a charity that has lasted in Ashton for over 400 years could cease to exist - a measure of the lust for power of the local councillors overtaking the interests of the charity and betraying the history of the town.

Re: Ashton Linen and Woollen Stock Charity.

Hi DM
Did the council discuss/vote on this recently, if so what was the outcome?
I have not read anyhting in the papers yet.
Alan

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net

Re: Ashton Linen and Woollen Stock Charity.

I haven't heard any more since it was referred to the Overview and Scrutiny Panel. I still can't see a Council overruling a registered Charity though.

- David -