Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Family history - Johnson/Finn/Sim

My Grandmother was Rose Hannah Johnson born in Ashton in Makerfield in about 1886. Her father was Paul Johnson and her mother was Alice Finn (nee Sim).

They lived at a place called Backend Farm - I suppose that it isn't really a farm and wonder if it still exists in any form. Alice was a mill worker and Paul worked in a Colliery - although I have seen him mentioned as an Engineer

They had a family of about 6 or 7 children. My grandmother together with her sister Laura Alice emigrated to New Zealand on board the Ionic in 1909. Both however passed away young in the mid 1930's.

Siblings that I know of by name are Sarah and Robert - however there was at least another boy and I think 2 other girls.

I would really like to be able to make contact with any family stil in existence there if at all possible (I know that this may prove difficult). I was hoping that someone might be able to give me some ideas as to where to start looking.

My grandfather kept in touch with the family until he lost touch during World War 2 and I did hear that Paul Johnson (the father) had died in a workhouse during the war (did they still have them then, I don't know?).

Anyway I would appreciate any pointers that readers might have for me to start looking for this information.

Cheers,
Jim Callaghan.

Town: hpschools@nhl.co.nz

Re: Family history - Johnson/Finn/Sim

Hi Jim,
You could have a look at the census info for your family, which might give some more clues. A quick glance at 1891 shows them living in Edge Green Lane, Golborne (which is near Ashton). In 1901, your grandmother was working as a servant in Fence, near Burnley, quite a way away, and her parents were living in Westhoughton, about 10 miles? from Ashton. The adddress was Woodlands, but next door was a property called Park End, and on the same page was Park Farm, which could be the 'Back End Farm' you mention?
I'd suggest you try to trace descendants of your grandmother's siblings as listed on the 1891 and 1901 census entries, perhaps using BMD indexes to find their marriages and children's births post 1901.
Cheers,
Phil