Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Start a New Topic 
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
In reply to Claire's email regarding Skate Park location and funding
Claire, I understand there are funding issues, and admittedly I don't know who would end up funding it. However, I was under the impression about 4 years ago that there was a sufficient amount of money earmarked for the project and we worked closely with the Youth...
Views: 289   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 12, 2005 3:19am
by Claire Daington
“I Have a Dream”
One of the greatest speeches of the last century is summarised in four words, “I Have a Dream” Am I dreaming or is there a change happening in the tone of the postings on this site and the BTT site. At long last the underlying hatred seems to be disapp...
Views: 225   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 12, 2005 3:04am
by Claire Daington
This Web Site
Why is it that the only people who seem to think this web site is misrepresenting anyone is our local CAP councillors. The site is informative and available to the people of Ashton and Bryn to provide them with a medium were they can speak freely about their concern...
Views: 336   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 11, 2005 8:44pm
by Athers
Is it just me or does anyone else feel quite ashamed ?
18 years old, and I am sick to the teeth of local politics ! In the face of political correctness, you are constricted to reform your criticisms to underhand sly personal attacks. Call me weak, but its down right pathetic, we really don't achieve anything by doing...
Views: 347   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 11, 2005 4:30pm
by Adele
THIS WEBSITE
IS IT MY IMAGINATION OR IS THIS WEBSITE STAGNATING? IF THE MESSAGE BOARD IS ANY INDICATION THEN THE LABOUR PARTY MUST BE DOWN TO ITS LAST FEW MEMBERS IN ASHTON
Views: 391   Replies: 12
Last Post: Sep 10, 2005 5:33pm
by Aaron
Them naughty boys have been at it again !!!!!
Hello everyone.. I was taking a leisurely strole through cyberspace this morning, and I found a website that highlighted the disgraceful behavior of Ashton and Bryn councillors. It even had pictures of all the people who made the website and what their real names a...
Views: 381   Replies: 7
Last Post: Sep 8, 2005 4:47pm
by Aaron
Has it gone pear shaped
What is happening in our town? Just over twelve moths ago we could hold our heads up high, we had brought democracy back to the Borough. It was no longer true “Put a donkey up with a red rosette on and it will get in. IT HAS ALL GONE PEAR SHAPED The CAP i...
Views: 445   Replies: 30
Last Post: Sep 3, 2005 12:33am
by David McKendrick
24 hour drinking
From my reading of the press the new 24hour licensing laws have some worrying aspects. 1 Any person objecting to an application must live or have property within 200 metres of the applicant 2 An objection is not valid 28 days after the application has been lodg...
Views: 191   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 26, 2005 5:23pm
by Alan Edwards
Office chairs
Nine wooden office chairs (cushioned, with arms). Surplus to requirements on annual clearout. Suitable for local community organisation, taxi firm or similar. Free if collected.
Views: 162   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 27, 2005 3:29pm
by Captain's Lane C...
Fibre glass
Hello. I have a classic car and want to coppy two small spoilers and make some for myself. Does anyone out there know how to make these or know who to contact to get a mould made? Thanks John.
Views: 203   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 26, 2005 12:07am
by Captain's Lane ...
Sybil ie Two nations
“Furthermore the last time I went over the park I remember seeing quite a lot of tennis courts. Not being used by players but by the ‘dregs’ of society to drink alcohol on. There was not a sport going on in sight except for two lonely looking skater...
Views: 242   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 24, 2005 2:00pm
by Alan Edwards
a
Adele
Bryn - History or past photos
Hi all I have posted this request on this message board before and just wondered if I may have missed any replies. Is there anybody out there who has any history or past photo's of Bryn? I know that Bryn was one of the first Iron Age Settlements - but there...
Views: 212   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 22, 2005 10:32pm
by David
Posting on this site - a suggestion....
It is better to edit the subject line to prevent having a long boring sequence of Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:s Also, it your comment is a brief one, then use the subject line to make your comment, and add 'nm' to the end to show there is no message content. That way the board...
Views: 222   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 22, 2005 5:57pm
by Moderator
Lest We Forget
Today I drove past the cenotaph in Wigan Road, it look impressive in the summer sun, on radio four was a programme that reminded me today is the sixtieth anniversary of VJ day. How easy in today’s world to forget the sacrifices made by the servicemen of ou...
Views: 214   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 22, 2005 2:30pm
by Adele
Balls To Tennis
Good morning Ashton! www.ballstotennis.tk
Views: 485   Replies: 50
Last Post: Aug 21, 2005 9:21am
by Alan Edwards
LESS BALLS
With the current furore over balls to tennis it is easy to forget there are other things happening concerning young people. Balls may come into, but not in a way they want, Somewhere in our region a young man will have recently undergone an aukidectomony. This may w...
Views: 224   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 19, 2005 9:00pm
by Alan Edwards
Captain's Lane Centre
I am posting on here to correct further inaccuracies posted on the 'Balls to Tennis' guestbook, as I do not wish to reply there to remarks not related to the young people's campaign for a skatepark. Councillor Claire Daington has written: "In the meantime, I no...
Views: 267   Replies: 7
Last Post: Aug 18, 2005 11:21pm
by David McKendrick
i
Ian
What No Christmas Tree?
It looks as if there will be no Christmas tree in Ashton this year. How short-sighted it was to remove the Millennium Ash from in front of the library. Every year there was a question over the funding of a tree. In years past the solution was for the ladies of the to...
Views: 296   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 15, 2005 3:59pm
by Ian
Once upon a time (a fairy story)
Once upon a time a Loyal and Ancient Borough had been ruled for many years by one party. Then certain good men and women got together to change this position, with good intent, they formed a new party and took the might of the established party on. in their first e...
Views: 204   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 15, 2005 2:38pm
by Listen with moth...
This website's right to exist has been challenged much in the past. I have no wish to go into the history of it or the political views of the moderator, I do however think this debate BTT has proved that, as I have said in the past it can serve a useful purpose. a...
Views: 196   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 15, 2005 11:01am
by Moderator
m
Matt
Justify this CAP...
From the CAP's website: "The Community Action Party will continue to support the provision of play, sports & community facilities & youth cafes & meeting places." Someone from CAP please tell me, how can you say this at the same time as opposing the skate park?
Views: 289   Replies: 7
Last Post: Aug 15, 2005 9:08am
by Matt
ATTACKS ON COMMUNITY ACTION PARTY
Hi David (Moderator of this Forum) I wish to respond to your comments as follows: "Messages are deleted if they contain personal abuse of contributors (I have made an exception in the past in the case of CAP aggression, as I feel it is beneficial if people can...
Views: 295   Replies: 11
Last Post: Aug 14, 2005 1:29am
by Ern
v
Vic
Three Sisters Recreation Area
This is a message from (FOTS) “Friends of Three Sisters Recreation Area” to the folks of Ashton and district who live local to the Three Sisters recreation area and who use and enjoy this great local facility. The Friends of the Three Sisters is a grou...
Views: 154   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 30, 2005 8:25am
by Vic
CENSORSHIP ON THIS WEBSITE
Its a sad reflection on the state of freedom of speech in this country when a twopence hapenny website like this censors a report by the world respected journalist John Pilger. I know who has the credibilty and greater pull!
Views: 220   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jul 26, 2005 1:37pm
by Alan Edwards
BLAIR'S BOMBS
http://www.newstatesman.com/nscoverstory.htm
Views: 199   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 24, 2005 11:05am
by peter franzen
d
D C
ALDI
So this new ALDI will have it's exit onto Hilton Street. Much time is being spent (wasted!) on putting up a crossing for pedestrians and a left and right turn onto Bolton Road. HAS ANYONE CONSIDERED TRAFFIC LIGHTS??? Turning right onto Bolton Road is a dangerous n...
Views: 399   Replies: 21
Last Post: Jul 23, 2005 1:30am
by DC
On the CAP front line
"Heroes led by donkeys" was how the soldiers and the officers of the First World War were described. Well I wouldn't go so far as to say the councillors representing Ashton are heroes, but to be fair they do try. Sadly unless they boot their leader into touch,...
Views: 235   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 13, 2005 1:00pm
by Alan Edwards
e
Ethel
Floral Displays
What has happened to the Floral baskets we used to have throughout each summer season in the town centre of Ashton?? Was the money spent by CAP on uprooting the living Millennium Ash Tree outside our library and replacing it by a dead pine tree for 2 weeks at Xmas???
Views: 191   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 13, 2005 12:46pm
by Alan Edwards
CONDOLENCES TO THOSE AFFECTED BY THE LONDON BOMBING
I OFFER MY CONDOLENCES TO ALL THOSE AFFECTED BY THE HEINOUS LONDON BOMBINGS ON THURSDAY 07-07-05 It has always been inevitable that the illegal wars for the worlds oil and gas reserves promoted by Bush, Blair, the multi national oil and gas companies and their polit...
Views: 271   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jul 12, 2005 8:56am
by Matt
THE WEAKEST LINK
A thought suddenly occurred to me, who is the weakest link on Wigan Council's controlling Labour Group? After pondering this difficult question for five seconds or so it hit me like a thunderbolt. Who supported the illegal war against the people of Iraq? W...
Views: 262   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 3, 2005 11:37pm
by Vic
j
John
Crook family
Hi, Are there any members of the Crook family still in Ashton? I know that in 1914, Agnes Astley married Thomas Crook. They had eight children, so I would guess there are still a few around, although not necessarilly in Ashton. My family (the Robinsons of L...
Views: 264   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 26, 2005 12:22am
by John
NEW LABOUR INFILTRATION
From a perusal of your website it appears that its main objective is to denigrate the Community Action Party and its elected local Councillors. In the light of the documented strategy of New Labour to infiltrate Community Forums and Associations could it be that you...
Views: 305   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jun 25, 2005 9:10pm
by peter franzen
Copyrighted material
To clarify a point: messages containing copyrighted material used without permission of the copyright holder will be deleted.
Views: 248   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 25, 2005 7:55pm
by Moderator
Douglas Ward by-election
Labour victory in Douglas ward Lab 916 CAP 788 Con 101 BNP 47 UKIP 35 Turnout 20.4% Labour increased majority
Views: 227   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 24, 2005 9:12pm
by peter franzen
m
Matt
Ashton anyone?
Right. I've had enough of this. This website supposed to be for chatting about matters relating to Ashton. Instead all we find are people arguing pettily with each other on party political points. Peter. You didn't get to Westminster. Ashton didn't want you there,...
Views: 463   Replies: 24
Last Post: Jun 18, 2005 10:15pm
by peter franzen
m
Matt
Let's move on...
So, Makerfield didn't want a Community Action Party MP, they wanted a Labour one instead. Maybe now that this question is settled, certain people will learn to discuss issues affecting Ashton sensibly and reasonably instead of sniping. After all, sniping certai...
Views: 394   Replies: 33
Last Post: Jun 16, 2005 8:28pm
by Alan Edwards
g
Gary
Events in Ashton
Hi Are there any local attractions in Ashton over the next few months? I remember when we used to have a good carnival, but that went by the wayside years agao.
Views: 222   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 16, 2005 9:13am
by Matt
SAY NO TO NEW LABOUR ID CARDS
Dear friends, I'm writing to you now as the Government prepares to steamroller its "Identity Cards" Bill through Parliament. Each one of you can do something immediately that will help in the fight against this unnecessary, oppressive and invasive legislation....
Views: 1352   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 29, 2005 5:05pm
by peter franzen
t
Tracey
Need sumwhere 2 rent
Looking 4 sumwhere 2 rent, not bothered either flat/ house. If any1 can offer and information, r has any ideas of where 2 find private rentings, please let me know. Many thanks.
Views: 302   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 29, 2005 12:45am
by Sue
Labour 'infiltrating meetings'
The Sunday Times - Britain March 27, 2005 Labour 'infiltrating meetings' David Cracknell and Andrew Porter THE Tories claimed yesterday that Labour was running a covert dirty tricks campaign known as Operation Blackwatch to undermine them in the run...
Views: 266   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 21, 2005 3:47pm
by peter franzen
AIM Forum website
Can those members of the Community Action Party who want to close down this website (Wigan Evening Post, Sep 22nd and Oct 1st) please declare themselves? That way, they can enter into a dialogue with users rather than sneak about poisoning people unaware of the free...
Views: 299   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 8, 2005 12:52pm
by David
Chat about matters relating to Ashton
I am sure anyone who supports democracy, welcomes the demise of the "one party state" on the WMBC council, by the rise of the Liberal Democrats, Conservatives and CAP. BUT what has all this got to do with- "Chat about matters relating to Ashton" Come on Peter, ther...
Views: 274   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 5, 2005 1:49pm
by Salvador
NEW LABOUR COPY NAZI TACTICS
The following quote was made by — General Herman Goering, President of German Reichstag and Nazi Party, Commander of Luftwaffe during World War II, April 18, 1946. (This quote is said to have been made during the Nuremburg Trials, but in fact, while during the...
Views: 646   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 4, 2005 6:52am
by Paul Lafargue
v
Vic
Political Interference
After discovering what appears to be a good and informative web site www.aimi.org.uk I am amazed at the level of political interference from what can only be described as a group of mad cap councilors who are having a "dummy spitting out session". I have read all...
Views: 211   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 3, 2005 10:23am
by Vic
COMMUNITY ACTION PARTY OPEN SURGERY
Hi Matt and fellow Ashtonians please don't forget that Community Action Party are out in force tomorrow (Sat 9 April) outside Peacocks on Gerard Street from 9am-1pm. You wont miss them they will be the ones in day-glo yellow!! Community Action Party Councillors and M...
Views: 244   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 13, 2005 10:54am
by Paul Lafargue
Family trace
My dad's family came from 96 old road ashton his dad ohn james lived in morden ave he married my great grandmother lucy jane foster from sthelens only relative that could pass some info on them is an aunt who is reluctant to help am trying to trace family tree all th...
Views: 180   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 13, 2005 5:43am
by Marie Causey
COMMUNITY ACTION
I am pleased to see a group of people (the Community Action Party) who are willing to stand up and fight for their local communities at grass-roots levels against the arrogance and negligent actions of the three major parties in this country.
Views: 237   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 30, 2005 8:10am
by Matt
LOOKING FOR MY LOST LOVE! -Jennifer Adams
im hoping someone can help me i was seeing someone called Jennifer Adams and well things went wrong its been like 4 years now and i miss her she lived in Garswood and she hanged around with Louise Smith(Ashton) and Loly(liverpool road) if you know any of these please...
Views: 259   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 8, 2005 7:03pm
by James Shaw
Seeking
Hi looking to contact some of my old school mates. Allan Dale David Frost Now living in OZ but comming home soon for a visit
Views: 331   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 5, 2005 9:52pm
by Ron Griffiths
j
Jackie
Compton's/ Richard Wilcock
Hi! Does anyone know if there was an engineering firm in Ashton in the early 1900's? If so, what did they make? My great grandfather Richard Wilcock is said to have worked there around 1915. Any info. would be great. Thanks
Views: 249   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 23, 2005 12:52pm
by Jackie
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Free Forum powered by Bravenet