Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Middlehurst family history

Dear Sirs,

In tracing my family tree, I have found that my family MIDDLEHURST lived in Bamfurlong Farm, Abram, around the 1800's.

Thomas Middlehurst b1825, (father William b1781& mother Jane Rawlinson b1786, farmer, who had at least 12 children) one of the sons, married Elizabeth Adamson b1826, (father John, {black}smith) in St Johns Chapel in 1847 and shortly after emigrated to America with some other members of the family (son Henry 3, his sister Jane and Francis ? brother?.
The family story has it that in about 1860- they were massacred by Indians.

3 Sons born in America found their way to England and Ashton in the late 1860/70's, including my G Grandfather Thomas, who subsequently settled in Great Harwood.

Can anyone help with the history of my family at Bamfurlong Farm, when they arrived there, how long they were there and Who they all were and where they came from to the farm.

Their history in America is partly known until 1860 when they vanish, except Jane, a Nun who is recorded and died in Cincinnati.

A James Middlehurst is also recorded in Ashton in Makerfield, Peggy Lane, in 1841 with his family, how do they tie in to the Bamfurlong Middlehurst's? If anyone knows any more I would be very pleased to hear from you.

Also anyone who has copies of any old photographs or drawings they could send me, of Bamfurlong farm or Old Ashton in Makerfield, Town Green before 1850, Liverpool road 1880's, Brynn Street- places my family lived etc.

Many thanks in anticipation,
Marcus I Middlehurst

Town: mmcrafts@treorchy4711.fsnet.co.uk