Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
William Greenall/Greenough/Greenell

My father was from Simms Lane End. I am looking for information on WILLIAM GREENALL also spelt Greenough and Greenell who according to IGI was born abt. 1746. He was at one time a cabinetmaker and lived in Billinge when he married his first wife ELIZABETH HEALWOOD. Her father was Henry and she had 3 brothers EDWARD, THOMAS and Joseph. Her father was a farmer from Rainford.

Elizabeth and William were married on 7th Oct 1769 in the Parish Church of Wigan. Elizabeth was a minor and married with her father's consent.

Marriage (2) was to MARY MERCER who I think came from Parr or Winwick. Her father was a watchmaker and Mary and William's only child also William was an apprentice to him.

William and Mary were married on 27th Aug. 1771 at the Parish Church in St. Helens. So, it would seem Elizabeth died as two of her brothers Edward and Joseph were witnesses to the marriage.

Mary married again on 18th Sep. 1777 to Matthias Lamb and one of the names on that certificate is THOMAS GREENALL who was a witness. I'm not sure just where they were married but the certificate says they were both of the Parish of Winwick.

I have not been able to find anything about William's death or birth and of course this stops me moving onto the next generation.

I would be so delighted if anyone could turn up anything for me.

Town: cienwen@aimi.org.uk