Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Them naughty boys have been at it again !!!!!

Hello everyone..
I was taking a leisurely strole through cyberspace this morning, and I found a website that highlighted the disgraceful behavior of Ashton and Bryn councillors.
It even had pictures of all the people who made the website and what their real names are.
It was talking about the definite construction of the skatepark for the youth.
Skateboarding in Ashton, what ever next!

Ermm..I think the web address was something along the lines of umm WWW.BALLSTOTENNIS.TK Yeah I remember now, it was ballstotennis.tk.
If you have got the time have a little look, I've no idea what its on about, baffles me to be honest.
Good day all.
Mr Andrews :)

Re: Them naughty boys have been at it again !!!!!

The skateparks goin ahead! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and all of CAP voted against it HA HA HA!
Id like to take a moment to thank everyone in BTT for everything theyve done.

Town: moshman01@hotmail.com

Hi Btt
okay you have won, and well deserved, you put sensible arguments forward, You on the whole behaved more responsible than those who should have known better.
You got my vote at the Township forum meeting, BUT, yes there is always a but.
Throughout alll the debate I have tried hard not to be patronising. I found the whole episode at the Township Forum "BLOODY PATRONISING"
I agreed, in fact I brought it up that the vote was only advisory, so why did we have to sit through people, a few who were genuine in their opposition, stating their case.
I think a few people were surprised that their opinions were being ignored. You may well say I am running with the hares and playing with the hounds. But I believe in respecting everyone, and I don't think genuine respect of people was high on the menu on Monday night.
Alan

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net

To Alan

Hi Alan
Balls To Tennis aside, I appreciate your concern that certain people may of felt that their views had been dismissed.
But wasn't it blatantly obvious that the outcome of this would of been that of a positive one for the Jubilee skatepark.?
Even so, people still wanted to express their feelings and let everyone hear what they had to say.
I know I would be the FIRST to cry out and complain if I thought I was being ignored (as you all well know) , but there has to be a time when a contrasting view is to be ignored to make way for progress, agreed ?
After five years of talk it is has to be evident that there are contrasting ideas relating the skatepark, or it would of been constructed many years back.
The dismissal of views is never pleasant, but unfortunately in the face of reason it has to be carried out.
Am I incorrect in believing that the 'majority' of the contrasting views with Jubilee skatepark have somewhat much more deeper and sinister roots, than the objections that would represent the understandable views of local residents in relation to noise and litter etc?
Maybe a political undertone was the dominating factor in all of this? I regrettably believe this was so!
Many thanks
Matthew Andrews

Hi Andrew
The hardest position to put oneself in is someone else’s. That was what I was trying to do in my last posting.
Prior to the meeting many people were led to believe that the Township Forum was to make the decision on the skatepark. I have voiced my opposition prior to the meeting that this was not a correct position.

I myself was led to believe this was the case. And it was for that reason that I was disturbed that it should be so. I received an email from Rodney Hill that stated-
“The final decision will be taken at the Ashton Township Forum on September 5th”

So what happened on Monday night, you walked in with Rodney Hill and his colleague. Hardly something to inspire a belief in impartiality. We then sat through sixty minutes when views for and against were expressed, A vote was taken, that went against the skatepark. I then as you know asked, what was the position as regards the vote, as I did not believe the Forum had the right to make that decision. Then and only then were we informed, quite rightly, that the vote was only advisory.

If Rodney Hill had made his mind up before the meeting. That is within his remit, what I find offensive is he failed to inform the meeting that was the case, only when I asked the question, did he say the skatepark was going ahead.

As for your comments in your last posting
Am I incorrect in believing that the 'majority' of the contrasting views with Jubilee skatepark have somewhat much more deeper and sinister roots, than the objections that would represent the understandable views of local residents in relation to noise and litter etc?
Maybe a political undertone was the dominating factor in all of this? I regrettably believe this was so!

Sadly I can reply with a one word answer NO, (actually I agree, but you have asked a question in the negative!!!!!!!) Furthermore I believe much of the opposition showed political naivety, Unlike Rodney Hill’s presentation, look at the way he mentioned, at least twice, how the people in The Strand and Strand Avenue said they paid the highest rates. Hardly a valid point against the skatepark, but one that discredited their opposition.

In closing I am glad the skatepark is going ahead where it is, but I am sure you agree there are many more, important topics concerning Ashton and if the Township Forum is to continue as pressure group to the elected and paid officials it needs to be treated with more respect than it was on Monday night.

Regards
Alan

Does no one else find the music on BTT's home page amusing?

Go on Aaron enlighten me, what is the music?
You see I am an old square.

Alan

If you listen to it long enough you will recognise it. BUT the music is 'We are the champions' by Queen. May be a little hazey since its in midi format and the verses arent quite as memorable. I thought it may be one of the more widely recognised tunes.