Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ALDI

So this new ALDI will have it's exit onto Hilton Street. Much time is being spent (wasted!) on putting up a crossing for pedestrians and a left and right turn onto Bolton Road. HAS ANYONE CONSIDERED TRAFFIC LIGHTS??? Turning right onto Bolton Road is a dangerous nightmare at the best of times - then again traffic light would just add to inconvenience and even more traffic block-ups on Bolton Road!

I would really like to know who the IDIOT was that gave permission for this development to go ahead in the first place!

Re: ALDI

Again DC, I notice that Peter hasn't taken any notice of a question that cannot be beaten off with a 'It's a New Labour conspiracy, everyone's against me' style response.

I just wish that everyone who elected Peter read this board. If they did, I think they'd have some serious questions to ask about how much time this particular councillor spends actually doing what he was elected to do. I'm not making a party point, I don't belong to any political party. I'm just making a simple point about councillors and their duities.

And if you're going to argue 'but I wasn't elected to Ashton' Peter, fine. In that case, why the heck do you spend so much time on here?! Seriously Peter, you are not doing your chances of re-election any favours by behaving the way you do on here!

To return to your question DC, what do you think the way forward is then? I agree that a turn from Hilton Street to Bolton Road is a bit of nightmare, but the Aldi has got to have an exit somewhere, hasn't it? And people safety should surely come above saving inconvenience for drivers shouldn't it?

Re: Re: ALDI

Hi Everyone
At last "Matters relating to Ashton"
In many ways the Aldi project is a disaster, with little thought for local residents.
The access as you say will lead to further congestion at the Hilton Street junction. How the people of the top end of Ladysmith Avenue feel with all that traffic "beggers belief". Here we have an un-adopted road that is surfaced so all the traffic to Aldi and the public car park go past their houses.
Perched above the Aldi car park is the Salvation Army Church and community centre. For years they looked after the grass outside their building, then the thickness of an ancient pencil line took much of their land away.
Returning to the recurring theme of this website, THE CAP, it was this lack of concern for Ashton that led the people of our town to return six CAP coucillors, giving the five "time servers" and one good councillors a "Bloody Nose". However it begs the question-are we any better off?
Time will tell, this web site has seen the leader of the CAP issue non-constructive comments almost daily, I suppose judging by the content it did not take much time up, but at he end of the day I feel the people of Ashton are left feeling let down.
TIME WILL TELL
And remember Peter, so will the ballot box.
Regards
Alan

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net

.. so we need Traffic Lights!!! ..... and there are none!! How many accidents do we need before they start to dig the road up again, inconveniencing drivers yet again to provide a safe crossing for pedestrians and a safe turning for cars. Why do the so called planners not THINK AHEAD????

DC

Re: Re: Re: ALDI

They do think ahead, simple really-Get it right first time-job done-don't get it right first time=work for ever.That means more money for them.
Alan

Re: Re: Re: Re: ALDI

I once placed threads on this forum when no-one seemed interested.

Then the elections.

Look at yourselves. A bunch of boring old moaning gits! Sorry, but every single post on this and every other recent thread has nothing but ill feeling or aggression pointed at either the local councillor or any scheme or development in the Ashton area.

What sad little lives you really do lead!

Feel free to add as many aggressive and ill-mannered comments on here in response to my post. I wont be revisiting.

Between the lot of you, you have ruined a good forum that needed more interest. sadly, reading the last few threads and posts over the latter few months, I and probably many others have been bemused by the childish antics and as a result are not interested.

Good luck to you all with your website!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALDI

Hi Johnny
guilty to a certain extent, yes it has got too personal. Yes I am old, boring, that is subjective, a Git? well perhaps. SORRY, but in mitigation. You say we attack the councillors and any proposals for Ashton. Yes we do attack the councillors, one in particular. He seems to have a mission in life to attack anyone who does not subscribe to the CAP party.
He seems to think I support the Labour Party, never voted for them in my life.
I however do respect many Labour Councillors, and Tory and CAP.
If the one we attack would only be more constructive, then perhaps this site could be returned to what you want, "Matters relating to Ashton."
SO PETER I OFFER YOU THE HAND OF FRIENDSHIP.
For Johnny's sake who I suspect is a young caring person please take it.
May God Bless Everyone who contributes to this website

A Boring Old Git
Alan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALDI

Hi Johnny,

I'm not old (in my twenties). But I agree this site has got too personal. However, I also have to concur with others that one of the main reasons for this is unconstructive comments left by a certain elected official. If you're looking for attacks, he has left plenty, including calling us 'armchair politicians' for being concerned about his accountability. If you look back at the postings, I have PLEADED with him to get back to the subject of Ashton. Alas to no avail.

I hope you do come back, because we could do with more people like yourself, who actually want to discuss Ashton, and not party politics.

PS - I am not a Labour voter or activist.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALDI

If you've got anything to say about Ashton or anything else for that matter why don't you spit it out instead of whinging and whining?

Town: peter.franzen@community-action.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALDI

Peter,

I refer you to many previous postings about Ashton: concerning Aldi, traffic, local elections, bus shelters, vandalism amongst other things.

I also refer you to many of your previous postings which include much whinging and whining about how the Labour Party is out to get you, and little talk about Ashton.

I also refer you to the fact that your postings on this forum are a matter of public record and will speak for themselves when you come to campaign for your re-election.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALDI

Hi Matt

I am so accustomed to threats by New Labour hacks and their cronies that I have become immune.

Coming from someone who can't even engage in a basic political debate on this New Labour contolled website your threat to attack me in the future hardly fills me with fear and trepidation.

The analogy of being savaged by a toothless New Labour poodle springs to mind.

In the meantime stick what you know - whingeing and whining from the comfort of you own armchair.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALDI

Who asked for a political debate? No-one. We asked what you proposed to do re a few local problems.

And what do you have against armchairs? I personally find it very difficult to type while jogging.

Town: andy@REMOVETHIS.yatescentral.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALDI

Hi Andy

In your case I think its more a matter of "gripe and snipe" than type.

upholding standards

Has no one thought of reporting Cllr Franzen to the standards board of England for bringing his office into disrepute and treating constituents with a lack of respect?

The Standards Board for England is responsible for promoting high ethical standards and investigating allegations that coumncillors behaviour may have fallen short of the required standards.

http://www.standardsboard.co.uk/

IS THE MAN REAL?
OR FROM ANOTHER PLANET?

Like I said Alan
If you've got anything to say about Ashton or anything else for that matter why don't you spit it out instead of whinging and whining?
I am real and I was born on this planet.
Abuse is never a good substitute for intelligent comment.

Re: Re: Re: ALDI

I will ignore the previous comment, and concentrate on the headings ie Matters relating to Ashton and in particular Aldi.

After two days, from my observations, it seems like a good idea to have a roundabout at the junction of Hilton Street and Bolton Road. Although there are two lanes now exiting Hilton Street, the lane for traffic from bolton road is too narrow.

As for Peter's comments as he seems on "Self Desruct" I have nothing to add.

Alan

Re: Re: Re: Re: ALDI

Hi Alan

A pattern has emerged of you ignoring the previous comment or ducking the issue when it suits you.

Very Nouveau Labour if you don't mind me saying so.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ALDI

Hi Peter,
I will spell it out, "Remove the beam from your own eye, before you remove the splinter from your brothers eye"
I am not alone in having the opinion that it is you who ducks the issue. Furthermore when ever a topic arises that concerns Ashton, you always revert to a slanging match. Then you accuse other people of hurling abuse.
I should think that when the CAP reversed many years of Labour rule in Ashton, most people were pleased. They were also prepared to give the CAP time to settle in. However on this website, you are sadly ensuring a return of the Labour Party. Is that what you want? I am sure your collegues don't. So Peter, please start being constructive, by all means debate political matters, but when the heading relates to, matters concerning Ashton, keep it that way.
This thread relates to Aldi, I think we would all welcome your comments.
Before you say it, No I have no right to speak for other people, but I can read what they say and am sure they will say so.
I really want a mix of parties on WMBC so try and make us like you, there is no need to be all things to all people like Tony Blair, but don't insult the people who put you in.
As for your taunt that I should in effect"Put up or Shut up" There are other ways of seving the community and there are only so many hours in the day.
As the hippies of the sixties use to say, "Peace Brother"
Alan

The initial plans I saw when Aldi was first mooted showed a mini-roundabout at the junction of Bolton Road and Hilton Street. Comments at the time suggested that traffic lights would be preferable, but I don't know when the decision was made to have no traffic control at this junction.

Tesco

Sadly the accident that was waiting to happen, has occured, adjacent to Tesco.
Perhaps the CAP can now show what they are made of, no need to xast any blame, but quick action before there is a repeat.

Alan

Re: Tesco

Must say, I certainly agree with you Alan!

Glad to see someone is staying on the subject!!!!