Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
In reply to Claire's email regarding Skate Park location and funding

Claire,

I understand there are funding issues, and admittedly I don't know who would end up funding it. However, I was under the impression about 4 years ago that there was a sufficient amount of money earmarked for the project and we worked closely with the Youth Council. Needless to say, we were constantly frustated with the fact that the relevant councillors would not subscribe to the idea and give the go ahead. I know this had nothing to do with you, the main point is that you and those involved need to give the go ahead and then the necessary funding debate can take place.

You say that the Jubilee Park location has the most opposition. Does this mean that you have asked residents living nearby the other potential locations of their feelings? I can only speak from my experience, but when a group of us and the Youth Council conducted a survey of residents close by to Jubilee Park, the majority were in favour or ambivalent. Though admittedly this was a few years ago.

I personally think Jubilee Park is the best and most obvious location, but I would be grateful if you could provide details of the other locations so myself and others could research it ourselves. Additionally, I just wondered why you seem so opposed to Jubilee Park? The proposed area is relatively far from houses on the surrounding roads and any noise created would be drowned out by the busy Wigan Road.

The people of BTT and other skaters aren't being conned into thinking that Jubilee Park is the best they can hope for. The area is most the desirable and the size of half of tennis court is ample for their purposes. They don't plan to host the X Games or anything, excuse the sarcasm, they just want somewhere close with a few ramps, a rail or two, and maybe a funbox. The cheapest option, as you put it, is all people involved are asking for because it is all they want. This does not mean that "they are indoctrinated into believing that it is the best they can hope for" They are just not being greedy, but instead realistic.

Regards

Nick

Town: nhalksworth@yahoo.com

Re: In reply to Claire's email regarding Skate Park location and funding

Spot on Nick. Not only that but you can fit a very good park into the space. The search for other places is fruitless and time wasting. I suggest you stop looking for other places and concentrate on the funding. This is past ridiculous Claire, how long has Ashton waited? and how long will it wait?

APPARENTLY lots of work is being done 'behind the scenes' towards the park but i fail to see what. If your trying so hard then what have you got to show for it? Infact how far have you moved along in the year that youve been in charge? Talk is cheap lets see some action. To be honest after everything thats going on im starting to get frustrated to say the least, so come on lets see some progress instead of political mumbo jumbo.

Aaron

Town: moshman01@Hotmail.com

Re: In reply to Claire's email regarding Skate Park location and funding

Nick and Aaron, you both have raised some great points regarding the location of the skatepark.
I have personally conducted a house to house consultation with the vast majority of the local residents (ones that were in), and on the whole the response we got was positive, with remarks such as "its about time you had something to do".
Unfortunately Nick I have been a member of the community forum for some time now, and to my knowledge NO research has been done into the other possible sites. In my opinion is all just a distant illusion intended to distract our attentions away from Jubilee park.
The best person to talk to for an evaluation of all the possible sites is not CAP councillors but Jan Johnson of Wigan Council. Its her job to evaluate each possible site in Ashton and come up with a conclusion. Out of all the sites proposed Jubilee park carries many more positive aspects than any other are in Ashton for funding/location etc. I'm sure a full report will be published soon.
I feel the opposition lies not with a problem with litter or increased use of the park, it is down to out of date views . I was witness Margaret Hughes when she claimed the skatepark would look like a "tip" for people in the park. This was said at a skatepark sub group meeting about 6 months ago. Maybe she thinks it acceptable to locate her version of a TIP on somebody else's front door, who knows!
True, the youth of Ashton know exactly the size of the facility and to simply dismiss us as having illusions of a much bigger facility is an insult to our intellect. We have nothing and a small skatepark would be great for our needs. If the councillors think they can dangle the proverbial carrot in front of the youth and expect us to jump for it leaving behind everything we have done previously they couldn't be further from the truth. Unluckily for them the people who take part in a constructive pastime such as skate or BMX are usually able to form their own opinions on a subject and are not easily conned.
No more mumbo jumbo please, once constructed and proved to be a valuable asset to the youths of Ashton certain people will be sorry they kicked up such a fuss.
Trust me, if the opposition even try and claim any reasonability for Jubilee skatepark I shall not be impressed.

Matthew Andrews...
(hey, anybody seen the BTT website?) :-p

Re: Skatepark sites and Captain's Lane...

MA>>Unfortunately Nick I have been a member of the community forum for some time now

I think you mean 'Township Forum' :) I know it all gets a bit confusing, but the community forum was here first.

MA>>Nick and Aaron, you both have raised some great points regarding the location of the skatepark.

And since the Jubilee Park residents' survey was done, Captain's Lane has surveyed residents adjoining the Centre for an unrelated reason. The results can be seen on the website under "Environment" for 18/07/05.

- David -

Town: dm@aimi.org.uk

Re: Re: Skatepark sites and Captain's Lane...

Thanks David, whoops on the mistake! :(

I'll go look at the website soon.
Many thanks
Matthew

In reply to Claire's email regarding Skate Park location and funding

Matty

I think you have hit the nail right on the head here, when you state that "to my knowledge NO research has been done into the other possible sites."

The reports produced by WLCT on all other proposed sites contain more holes than a colander.

As far as I can see, the decision was made years ago that "the tennis court would do" (although nobody bothered to progress it), and everything that has been produced since has been designed to justify that decision, regardless of facts.

Town: c.daington@wiganmbc.gov.uk