Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Captain's Lane Centre

I am posting on here to correct further inaccuracies posted on the 'Balls to Tennis' guestbook, as I do not wish to reply there to remarks not related to the young people's campaign for a skatepark.

Councillor Claire Daington has written:

"In the meantime, I note some recent problems because "Captain's Lane" football team have a contract with Leisure to play on King George V playing fields once a week - but aren't allowed to practice there. Would it be too much trouble for you and Nigel to get out a broom and sweep up the broken glass (as requested by the council who actually own Captain's Lane), so that your own football team could practice on your own facilities?"

As someone elected to serve the community of Ashton she should know that Captain's Lane football team has nothing to do with Captain's Lane Centre. Her colleagues Paul Tushingham and Gary Wilkes might also have informed her about this after their visit to Captain's Lane Centre last year, though they seem to prefer to keep quiet when attacks are made on the management committee. I understand that the football team originated there, but in at least the nine years I have been involved with the Centre it has been based elsewhere.

The complaint some months ago about broken glass on the land behind the Centre was made to the Council by a councillor who was not straight enough to approach the Centre Committee directly, but complained to the Council instead. This is more evidence of the continuing campaign by the Community Action Party to discredit Captain's Lane Management Committee, either to delay the skatepark project, or because Captain's Lane Committee is one of the organisations represented on the Township Forum which is not controlled by CAP.

Litter and broken glass is a continuing problem in Ashton, and, unlike CD, I have actually brushed and litter picked the area behind the Centre. Our caretaker also regularly checks the area. Perhaps if CD and her colleagues stopped barring progress on the skatepark the youngsters who smash glass might be encouraged to take up a more worthwhile pursuit.

- David -

Town: dm@aimi.org.uk

Re: Captain's Lane Centre

Is this the same David McKendrick who refused to shake my hand and that of Gary Wilkes when we came to discuss Captains Lane? I guess you only like to shake hands with New Labour Councillors?

Is this the same person who has written yet more inaccuracies on this site re the Library. You know nothing of the fact that it was CAP Councillors who have pushed the Centenary Celebrations and clean-up at Ashton Library. Be creative Dave, but dont put untruths on this site.

The land to the rear of Captains Lane was cleaned up as a result of an overall campaign of litter control. If you knew it was so bad, why didn't you clean it up??

And as for your last comment, well, what an opinion to have!

Paul

PT>>I guess you only like to shake hands with New Labour Councillors?

No, I shake hands with anyone I respect. How petty to drag party politics into it again.

The report on the library is taken from the local paper.

We did arrange to clean up the land to the rear of the Centre following the complaint to the Council by an unnamed ward member. Pity they couldn't approach us directly.

For someone who hates this website I'm surprised to see you giving it custom. However, I'm very pleased to see how CAP councillors are revealing their true colours on these message boards - it's a service to our local community. Keep up the good work!

Re: Re: Captain's Lane Centre

Yawn!!!Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thank you, IP address 195.188.243.25 (Wigan Council). Is that an official Council comment? Does Lord Peter Smith know that that is how you use Council facilities?

Re: Re: Captain's Lane Centre

Oh, and Paul Tushingham: you were the last person to post from that address.

WILL THE REAL PETER FRANZEN PLEASE STAND UP.YAAAAWWWWN

I confess I am THE LONE RANGER and while I was posting , the previous posting came up.
THAT SAYS IT ALL
Alan

Town: ajames46@fsmail.net