​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
MR WALKERS INCREDIBLY EXCELLENT GEAR SALE
YES YES I KNOW. But I really need to get rid of a load of old gear that I don't use at all And anyway, the board has been quiet recently..... So the link below will take you to the detailed Blog with all the info and piccies View Details HERE Items for Sal...
Views: 402   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 10, 2015 5:56pm
by Andrew W
six moon design fusion 65 pack / Lightwave Ultra
Has anyone used this pack? It is sort of recommended by Chris Townsend. The US website is selling them at half price, which probably means something is up - maybe an improved design. I'm wondering whether to replace my wrongly-fitted older model Osprey Exos with...
Views: 386   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 10, 2015 12:16pm
by Martin Rye
Beinn Mhor Wind Farm
I have just received this from The Highland Council SITE VISIT FOR BEINN MHOR WIND FARM PLANNING REFERENCE 14/01731/FUL I write in connection with the submission that you have made in respect of the above application currently being assessed by the Highland Coun...
Views: 452   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 9, 2015 12:09pm
by Gordon Green
Scotrail Club 55
Oh yea. Scotrail Club 55 opened today. Like they say - With Club 55 you can travel anywhere in Scotland for just £19 return. You can even go to Carlisle or Berwick-upon-Tweed too. Club 55 is available for travel between 12 January and 31 March 2015. Taki...
Views: 356   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 8, 2015 5:05pm
by Humphrey Weightm...
Routes - January deadline approaching!
By now the presents have all been opened, left overs have all been consumed and hangovers should hopefully be clearing - so there are absolutely no excuses not to finish your routes! There are still 130 to be submit 39 of which are due in by January 17th. So if...
Views: 493   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 7, 2015 4:27pm
by Simon S
Mar Lodge
Hi All, Beginning to get the news that Mar Lodge is hosting a rather large wedding the weekend of the TGO crossing. They say that they cannot host walkers that weekend. I will find out more once back home from Australia. (second week January) Also aware Fife...
Views: 656   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 5, 2015 7:54pm
by John J
j
Justin
Mapyx Quo - OS sheet numbers
A quick question for anyone using Mapyx Quo: how can you tell which OS sheet number corresponds to the part of the map you are viewing? I've mapped out my intended route but in order to complete the route sheet I need to know on which OS sheet each part of the route...
Views: 529   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jan 5, 2015 2:21pm
by alan.sloman
Alternatives to Mar Lodge
Being as Mar Lodge won't be available for accomodation, does anybody know a good place for a wild camp at Inverey? I see the red triangle hostel sign marked on the map at GR079896. Is this Muir Cottage and if so does anybody know if we could have use of it? I'm tol...
Views: 582   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 4, 2015 12:32pm
by john donohoe
2 bits of good news (possibly) from Kincraig- centre of the universe.
Good news 1. The community coucil is having a re-think over its long-ago decision to support the application from the Allt Duine windfarm, and everyone on the electoral register is being balloted. (Scotland's getting to quite like referendums/referenda.) good new...
Views: 444   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 1, 2015 11:54am
by Kirsten Paterson
Dornie start point
There appears to be mor ethan one hotel in Dornie. Can adybody advise which is the one that hosts the Challenge register, as that is the one I should like to book for the night before the off.
Views: 513   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 29, 2014 10:24am
by Martin Banfield
Spey Dam / Craithie bridge?
I can see a ford marked on the map at NN579938. I also found a picture which suggests a sort of weir above the ford which may have a footbridge on top (here http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1103809). Can anyone confirm if there is a bridge? Thanks
Views: 529   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 28, 2014 12:40am
by john donohoe
Wendy Warmlite 2R for Sale still
Fancy a Stephensons Warmlite 2R. With additional Rear Guys. Massive 2 skin tent, that comes in at approx 1.6kg with pegs and poles Cost $500 from states It has done the Chally. Yours delivered for £145 (exc pegs) email if interest...
Views: 426   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 26, 2014 11:46pm
by Andrew W
Happy Christmas!
Wishing all Challengers a great Christmas and a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year. Phil, Miss W & the Doodlecat
Views: 452   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 24, 2014 11:21pm
by Waldo
r
Robert
Possible Route south side of Loch Morar
Can anybody help I have done my route but on Google it comes up with nothing can yo go across the high ground on the south side of Loch Morar I know it will be tough going just wondering if anybody done it? Many thanks
Views: 910   Replies: 19
Last Post: Dec 22, 2014 9:30pm
by Waldo
t
Theo
Scottish holiday july 2015
Just made my bookings for the ferry to Newcastle and our stay at Rowardennan YH for 5 nights in July 2015. On the agenda are Ben Lomond and The Cobbler. Anyone any other ideas about what's 'doable' or fun for a 16 yo boy and 11 yo girl from the Lowlands ? Theo
Views: 584   Replies: 9
Last Post: Dec 22, 2014 8:30pm
by Andrew W
Wild Camping south of the border
Challengers, especially those unlucky enough to live south of the border may be interested to know that there is a Government E-petition calling for legalisation of wild camping, modelled on the Scottish approach: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/68882...
Views: 349   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 18, 2014 8:25pm
by John Wright
Base Camp Food
Hi all, Don't want to put a big sales plug on this forum but we will be arranging an offer for all challengers this time around. Details to follow, suggestions on what works as an offer (discount etc) welcome. Thanks all, James www.basecampfood.com
Views: 445   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 17, 2014 10:51pm
by Fred
Glen Strathfarrar to Glen Cannich
I am having a first proper, detailed look at my route, and I am wondering how 'do-able'a section from Glen Strathfarrar to Glen Cannich is. I am looking at using the bridge at NH262383, going southwards following the Allt Innis ne Larach for about 2k then turning...
Views: 565   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 17, 2014 4:46pm
by Gordon Green
Deeside Way Accommodation?
Much to my surprise, Mrs B has expressed an interest in walking the Deeside Way with me at Easter as a warm-up for my Challenge. However, she will only do this if it does not include sleeping under canvas or in any other sort of improvised shelter. So I am looking...
Views: 533   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 17, 2014 4:04pm
by Stuart Fraser
No bridge at Gaick Lodge
Reading the planning notes about bridges, does anyone know if the one shown a couple of kilometers south of Gaick Lodge at NN753836 survives? Cheers
Views: 507   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 15, 2014 4:15pm
by Colin Bennett
E, I wouldn't go there if I were you
I posted on the forum about this back in August - but that is a long way down the board now. IF YOU ARE PLANNING A ROUTE THROUGH THE MONADHLIATH, PARTICULARLY ONE INVOLVING THE DRUMNADROCHIT - INVERFARIGAIG BOAT CROSSING, THEN YOU MAY NEED TO KNOW THIS. There w...
Views: 602   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 15, 2014 11:56am
by Jeremy Burrows
Routes please!
The steady stream of routes has slowed to a trickle. We imagine some people are a little preoccupied with another event beginning with C . . . However there are over 60 routes that are due to be submitted by 17th January This deadline applies to those who have c...
Views: 511   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 12, 2014 12:15pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Bridge of Orchy to Loch Lyon
I am working on my route and am thinking of going from Bridge of Orchy up the Coire an Dothaidh and down the Coire a Ghabhalaich to Loch Lyon. I have not been able to find any information about the difficulty of this route and see on Google Map there is now a track a...
Views: 618   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 12, 2014 11:58am
by Bernie Roberts
camping
Can anyone tell us about camping in the area around Kingshouse. The newly restored/refurbished/renovated hotel looks to be fairly posh.
Views: 543   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 11, 2014 10:13pm
by Issy Silkowski
BeWell expedition foods
Did I imagine it, or was there once a discount code for TGOC'ers to use when buying BeWell (or other) foods?
Views: 498   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 10, 2014 9:39am
by James Gardener
Win a Place on The Great Outdoors Challenge 2015!
Are you on the standby list? Did you miss the deadline for applying? Well you could just be in luck. Hanwag has repeated its competition - see page 37 of the TGO January edition. it's out now! You can win a place on the Challenge for yourself (plus a companion if...
Views: 432   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 9, 2014 11:43pm
by Elizabeth Robert...
Your favourite place to stay in Drum?
2015 will be the first time I have passed through Drumnadrochit on the Challenge. I have driven through it many times, but never really stopped to become acquainted with the accommodation options - although I believe there are many and varied. I have an open mi...
Views: 432   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 9, 2014 8:19pm
by Marion Boyle
South Laggan to Glen Turret
Hi Folks, I was wondering if someone could advise please? I'll be starting in Mallaig in 2015. My proposed route will take me from South Laggan to Glen Turret via Leacann Doire Bainneir and Teanga Bheag. Ness64's blog describing her 2011 crossing and respon...
Views: 527   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 9, 2014 5:40pm
by Mark Williams
Morar - new sign out point
In previous years the sign out point at Morar has caused some difficulty and last year the campsite stepped in at short notice though this necessitated a 3km detour. This year Maggie and Phil Hunkin at Harlosh House B&B have kindly agreed to be our sign out point...
Views: 345   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 8, 2014 10:30am
by Sue & Ali
The Living Mountain
Anyone who loves the Cairngorms - go to BBC i-player and watch "The Living Mountain: A Cairngorms Journey"
Views: 485   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 7, 2014 3:19pm
by Robin
Route advice
Yes, challengers are a helpful bunch when route questions are being asked. But my God, do you really have to provide a handbook? I can still remember a post from a first timer (a few years back) asking what the established route was from the place where he started. H...
Views: 1700   Replies: 41
Last Post: Dec 6, 2014 7:44pm
by Sir Frank Hard**...
ECCO ANDES Sandals EU 40 for Sale
Last one honest Brand New pair of Ecco Andes Sandals in Black leather Normal price £90 These have never been worn, and are still in the box Yours delivered using MY Hermes for £50 (royal mail will cost more) email me if inte...
Views: 188   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 6, 2014 11:52am
by Andrew W
Lochailort start
Anyone know if there's anywhere to pitch up close to Lochailort, call me a skin flint but don't like the £65 for staying at the Inn. Currently thinking of staying in Fort Bill & getting the Mallaig bus first thing in the morning.
Views: 430   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 6, 2014 9:44am
by Andy Wright
Jet Boil Flash for Sale
I have an almost new Jet Boil I bought for my Daughter to do DoE for Sale Yours for £53 delivered includes stand and Pan adapter. You can see from inside of Pot that it has hardly been used. email me if interested Going on OM if no ta...
Views: 187   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 5, 2014 8:58pm
by Andrew W
Peewiglet's back!
Chaps & chapesses, Way back in 2005 a solo female backpacker, known variously as Shirl or Peewiglet, undertook the TGO Challenge and produced a superb on-line diary - later followed by two more. The 2005 diary was the original inspiration for my starting the Do...
Views: 622   Replies: 11
Last Post: Dec 5, 2014 3:21pm
by Gordon Green
Cougie
We know many of us over the years have experienced Cougie's fabulous hospitality and will have memories of Val who's personality and warmth - not to mention her scones and soup! - cheered many a weary Challenger. Sadly she passed away a few months ago and we offer...
Views: 737   Replies: 9
Last Post: Dec 5, 2014 1:02pm
by Des
Waterproof paper
This stuff is the d*gz b*ll*x. I've used it on two Challenges and also in the Basque Country (that's Basque the region, not as worn by Andy Walker, Wildly Camping Pantomime Dame Extraordinaire). Stands up to torrentials. Cannot be torn. Click here to take a lo...
Views: 672   Replies: 12
Last Post: Dec 5, 2014 12:12am
by Jean Turner
Beinn a' Bhuird route advice
Just sorting out the final bits of my route. After the Cheese & Wine party, I'm intending to go up Beinn a' Bhuird and then Ben Avon, assuming the weather is OK. It would appear there are two possible routes from the north: via Spion Rocks or via a path below Stob an...
Views: 549   Replies: 11
Last Post: Dec 2, 2014 1:08am
by Andrew W
Scotland here we come again!
Route vetted and transport booked!! Setting off from Torridon and finishing in St. Cyrus (once more) There is Hills, Culture and History involved and a bit of walking. Being one day late for the C and W party, we hope to find some leftovers for diner. Looking f...
Views: 473   Replies: 8
Last Post: Dec 1, 2014 7:22pm
by Willem Fox
Rail ticket alerts
So now. Time to take care of the logistics for Challengers choosing to travel by rail. The cheapest tix are Advance Purchase, and they're typically released 90 days in front. The best site is East Coast. You can sign up for a ticket alert at no charge, and you'll...
Views: 473   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 30, 2014 4:51pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Views: 518   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 28, 2014 7:39pm
by Maria Scott
Cheese & Wine 2015
With all the entries safely gathered in, and the nights drawing in, Challengers old and new are thinking of the brighter days of May, and routes that they may wander across Scotland ... but, even as the Landranger maps are spread out they hesitate. Why? Because th...
Views: 1764   Replies: 26
Last Post: Nov 28, 2014 11:38am
by Robin
Esbit stoves
Hi, has any one use Esbit stoves and tablets for a crossing and what was your opinion over Gas n Meths? thanks, Mark
Views: 541   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 28, 2014 9:12am
by Stephen Rouse
Torridon Transport
Posted before but now after the draw and closer to the event: Any Torridon starters interested in joining a taxi from Inverness to Torridon on Thursday afternoon? Cost will be around GBP 20,00 p/p for 4 pax. May be a bit less for 6. Willem & Leendert
Views: 337   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 22, 2014 8:09pm
by Willem Fox
Advice on rough route?
Dear Forum I am looking forward to my first Challenge. Route planning is already underway in my head. I have the "Walking in Scotland", "Scottish Hill Tracks" and a membership of Grough mapping service, so in that department I think I am covered. I am an experi...
Views: 872   Replies: 10
Last Post: Nov 22, 2014 1:40pm
by Andrew W
Stronelairg: The JMT is fighting the Scottish Government in court
This is really good news. The John Muir Trust is taking the Scottish Government to court over its decision to approve the Stronelairg wind farm in the Monadh Liath without going to a public inquiry. They urgently need funds to do this. More details can b...
Views: 556   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 20, 2014 4:51pm
by Gary D
Crossing the Kingie
Hi. I need some local knowledge and advice on a river crossing. On Day 2 I will be Walking from Glen Pean and camping at Kinbreack (NN002961). Next morning I plan to cross the River Kingie and proceed to Glen Garry. Is this a good place to cross or should I cros...
Views: 803   Replies: 17
Last Post: Nov 19, 2014 6:13pm
by NO 9
Braemar Update
Hi All, After an updating meeting the following emerges, The Fife Hotel in Braemar will close Beginning 2015 to reopen, after a major refurbishment in 2017. However Braemar will operate as normal during these years and in particular during T.G.O. time. Mo...
Views: 445   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 18, 2014 4:51pm
by doug bruce
Participants list
Such fun looking down the participants list (which I'm not on yet, sob). It's part of the social side of the challenge to see some familiar names and quite a few who have already done one challenge coming back for more. Further proof that it is addictive. I rec...
Views: 464   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 18, 2014 3:41pm
by Barry Turton
Standby List Numbers
How many are on the standby list this year? Second Third attempt...
Views: 811   Replies: 16
Last Post: Nov 18, 2014 11:44am
by john donohoe
Bus to Dornie
Ok I have been successful in booking airfare for the challenge- the largest hurdle is over, other than probably having to sleep overnight at Heathrow airport! Can you do reservations for the bus from Glasgow to Dornie? or do you just buy your ticket on the bus.
Views: 398   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 17, 2014 11:35pm
by Geoff Gafford
Loch Rannoch - forest tracks on south bank
Does anyone know anything about the track from Bridge of Gaur that cuts across to Loch Finnart then joins the forest road through Rannoch Forest, reaching the lochside to the W of Carie? It adds a wee bit distance but would avoid much of the long road walk along the...
Views: 450   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 17, 2014 11:05pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Good or Bad?????
Hi All, Just to confirm that the Fife Arms Hotel in Braemar will be closing its doors beginning of Jan 2015 for a 2 year refurbishment. Bad news!!! However this may bring about the rethinking of bridge over the River Dee here at Braemar for once reopened the Fi...
Views: 489   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 17, 2014 5:39pm
by William Burton
Re Add my face
Could some techie expert tell me how to add my face to my posts. Just so you know who you're talking to! Ta
Views: 483   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 16, 2014 11:18am
by Paul Byrne
s
Stan
Fife Arms
I see from an extract from the Press and Journal that the Fife Arms is likely to change hands and could well be closed for 'refurbishment' from January 2015 until 2017 ! The suspicion is that it will move seriously upmarket and perhaps not welcome oiks thereafter....
Views: 471   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 14, 2014 7:08pm
by Andrew W
Board anti-spam letters
I have to say that I haven't had a problem with this myself, but I notice that some have become a tad frustrated. I think it's mainly to do with distinguishing between upper and lower case letters - especially if the lower case letter is displayed at a larger size...
Views: 814   Replies: 19
Last Post: Nov 14, 2014 4:03pm
by william
Re Stand by list
I just wanted express approval of the letter accompanying my returned cheque, usually a source of gloom and despondency! However this year, the letter included my stand-by number, great idea! At least I now know exactly where I am and can plan accordingly....
Views: 251   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 14, 2014 9:06am
by Elizabeth Robert...
Mar Lodge
I see from the Challenge details that Mar Lodge is 'unavailable' in 2015 because of weddings. I am assuming that this means completely unavailable ie that we can not camp on the lawn this year. If this is the case it is a massive shame as it is such a great, and rath...
Views: 465   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 13, 2014 9:02pm
by john donohoe
j
John J
Another TGOC report
To Day 4 Day 5 Day 6 I'm on with Day 7 but I'll need a beer or something to strengthen my resolve before I can continue. JJ
Views: 748   Replies: 12
Last Post: Nov 12, 2014 9:10pm
by Louise
My photographic guide to places to finish the Challenge
Just in time for starting route planning, I've supplemented Roger Smith's 'Essential Guide to Possible Finishing Points' with some pictures of some of these places. Some of the coastal scenery is fabulous. Part 1: Aberdeen to Stonehaven Part 2: Stonehaven and...
Views: 538   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 12, 2014 7:33pm
by frederic
Six Months
Six months Thought I'd mention it...
Views: 510   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 12, 2014 6:00pm
by alan.sloman
Glenelg advice?
Does anyone have a recommendation for accommodation at Glenelg? I see a slightly expensive pub and a few self catering cottages but no b&b. What/where is the check-out point? Assuming there is a local bus to get there during the day. All comments welcome!
Views: 591   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 12, 2014 2:02pm
by Jeremy Burrows
I'm in!!! I think?
Just looked online at the bank balance and a cheque for £80 has been cashed. Looks like Peter Molenaar and I will be wandering aimlessly across Scotland again.
Views: 947   Replies: 17
Last Post: Nov 12, 2014 2:00pm
by Jeremy Burrows
It's official...
I'm in, the letter has just arrived. Many thanks to all involved in the draw and subsequent admin/printing/letter stuffing etc.
Views: 514   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 12, 2014 1:52pm
by Jeremy Burrows
A helping hand, getting the big picture
Hi, Being a newcomer both on the board and the challenge we could use a helping hand getting the big picture. I say we, since I'm writing on the behalf of our group of three from Denmark. This will be the first challenge for all of us. To the point. Could anyo...
Views: 852   Replies: 14
Last Post: Nov 11, 2014 6:14pm
by Theo
The Eagle has landed
Well, a little white envelope actually. No doubt hundreds of postmen around the country are thinking that have just delivered Lotto cheques judging by the sounds of delight. Commiserations to those who are only on the standby list but don't give up hope Look...
Views: 398   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 11, 2014 11:41am
by DickieF
Why not just put up a list?
So the dye is cast. We are in or not (or still waiting, as I was last year). About three hours south of here are people who know. At the printers there are people who know. In a few days' time the people in Newtonmore will put the lists in envelopes, put stamps on...
Views: 1093   Replies: 24
Last Post: Nov 6, 2014 11:37am
by Gordon Green
Stronelairg Grid Connection to be sited at Melgarve
Challengers may be disappointed to hear that the massive Stronelairg wind farm's connection to the Grid will be sited at Melgarve/Garva Bridge. This is what it will look like The full story can be found by clicking HERE
Views: 344   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 5, 2014 10:35am
by alan.sloman
Crossing the Dee at Braemar
Purely academic question here, as I'll not be going to Braemar next year. Coming from the north the options for crossing the Dee are the Bridge at the Linn of Dee, the Victoria Bridge at Mar Lodge and Invercauld Bridge. All of these tend to preclude a direct route...
Views: 529   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 4, 2014 8:47pm
by Phil Lambert
Last chance to apply - closing date Monday 27th October
The deadline is nearly upon us. If you still want to apply and you haven't put your entry form in the post by now then your best option is to scan it and email it to us then post your cheque. We will accept entries up to midnight on Monday. An extension of a few d...
Views: 777   Replies: 11
Last Post: Nov 2, 2014 9:06pm
by Sue & Ali
PHD Minim 400 for sale
My PHD Minim 400 is the long version. It is in red Drishell and has a full length right side zip. It weighs in a just over 900 grms. It's in very good condition. To buy this configuration new would cost £376.92 + postage. I'm selling it for ...
Views: 415   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 1, 2014 2:46pm
by Gordon Green
kilchoan start
does anyone know if kilchoan is on the start point list for 2015 and any suggestions of how to get there - boat - road ?
Views: 594   Replies: 7
Last Post: Oct 31, 2014 6:51pm
by sam hackett
...been a while.
Evening, all. It's been a while, but since I have applied to cross again in 2015 I thought (was reminded) that I should reacquaint myself with the chally message board. So, here I am. Currently whittling away at potential start points on the desperate assump...
Views: 356   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 28, 2014 12:17am
by Carl Mynott (@Lo...
Scarp 1 tent questions
Hi I am thinking about buying a Scarp 1 tent but I had a couple of questions which I emailed to Henry Shires a couple of weeks ago but not yet had a reply. Does anyone know the weight of the tent with a half solid, half mesh inner? Also, the one currently being...
Views: 537   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 27, 2014 4:35pm
by Des
Laggan Stores
Newsflash: I visited Laggan Stores on my way back from Geal Charn to Newtonmore Hostel on Monday. They are currently trading at a very minimal level out of the old store room across the road, while the refurbishment of the main premises proceeds. The refurbishment...
Views: 489   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 27, 2014 7:12am
by Lindy Griffiths
m
Mole
My TGO 2014 - I Finally Uploaded some Photos!
Link here: A convoluted route to them Not many pics of Challengers apart from those I walked with. I forget to use a camera off the hill! I'd love to do it again one day but due to time of year it won't be for some years.
Views: 335   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 24, 2014 2:44pm
by Mole
2015 entries / Coordinators email address
Last few days now! We have acknowledged every entry we have received so far. If you have entered and not heard from us by email or phone please let us know us. If you are about to enter please contact us if you haven't heard from us within 3 days of posting your form...
Views: 321   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 23, 2014 8:44am
by Ali and Sue - Co...
Wind farm shelved
The proposed farm at Nathro Hill NE of Brechin has been shelved http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-29642564
Views: 488   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 22, 2014 8:56am
by Marion Boyle
Snake Pass Weekend - When?
I'm planning a break in March, dependent on when the TGO Weekend at the Snake Pass Inn is (can't miss this!) Anyone know the dates, please?
Views: 428   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 21, 2014 7:11pm
by Andrew W
But who's counting?
My countdown clock says that there are just 200 days to lose the belly, fix the knee, sort out the route & Cheese & Wine location and get our sorry backsides up to Scotland. But who's counting, eh? And..... PLEASEcan someone get rid of these dreadful grey...
Views: 310   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 20, 2014 11:45am
by Theo
Ferry Across Loch Ness
I am starting to think of my route for 2015 in the hope I get a place. I may want to take the ferry across Loch Ness from nr Drumnadrochit. Please could somebody let me know how often it crosses daily and at what sort of times?
Views: 677   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 16, 2014 11:40pm
by Ian Sommerville
So what's wrong with Wester Ross?
As I was walking the Great Wilderness Challenge (charity fundraiser from Corrie Hallie near Dundonnell to Poolewe) in mid-August, I was musing about windfarms and how I rarely see any unless I venture east to Lairg. (Mind you it was so wet that day that I hardly saw...
Views: 697   Replies: 11
Last Post: Oct 16, 2014 11:29pm
by Ian Sommerville
Bed and Breakfast routes
Hi All Challengers! I'm putting together a bed and breakfast route for the 2015 Challenge. Im bringing a dear friend along. Any help you could give me with regard to B&B would be gratefully received. I'm thinking of starting at Oban and finishing at Donnattar Castle....
Views: 503   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 15, 2014 12:18pm
by Gordon Green
TGO Challenge: Mallaig to Nether Warburton
Better late than never... At long last I've finished my write-up of this year's Challenge: TGO CHALLENGE 2014 (It was ghastly...) I hope you enjoy it.
Views: 306   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 15, 2014 10:33am
by alan.sloman
Less than 2 weeks left to enter TGOC 15!
The deadline for entries is beginning to loom, now less than two weeks to go, so if you are thinking about next year's Challenge it's time to put pen to paper. There is a steady stream of entries making it's way to the Highlands but disappointingly few from first ti...
Views: 376   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 14, 2014 11:09pm
by Vanessa
n
ness64
TGO Challenge 2014 - Shiel Bridge to St. Cyrus
Better late than never... At long last I've finished my write-up of this year's Challenge: TGO Challenge 2014 I hope you enjoy it!
Views: 643   Replies: 7
Last Post: Oct 14, 2014 10:33pm
by ness64
TGO Challenge 2015 countdown clock
For those of you as obsessive as me, the old countdown clock dying has been a cause of sadness, withdrawl and depression. The regular 'fix' of seeing time numerically shrinking has often helped me to escape from the mundane reality of work at my screen. In an atte...
Views: 403   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 14, 2014 12:52pm
by Vanessa
The Simpsons in the news!
Challengers may like to read THIS ARTICLE in the Scotsman today. Well done to you both, although confusingly, the article has Gordon down as Bill - not sure why.
Views: 270   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 10, 2014 12:25pm
by alan.sloman
Re Stepping Stones
Ok, what giant sets up stepping stones. I just crossed a pretty wide bit of water lured by apparently substantial stepping stones. Around about half way, too far to try to spin around on a slippy rock and turn back, there it is - the nigh on impossible gap, with...
Views: 538   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 8, 2014 8:01pm
by Peter Goddard
g
Gary D
Scottish Hill Tracks (the ugly bulldozered roads, not the book!)
Anyone concerned about unsightly bulldozered tracks in the Highlands might want to read this: http://www.mcofs.org.uk/news.asp?s=2&id=MCS-N11250&nc=Access%20and%20Conservation They're looking for photographs to show how they can scar the landscape and need them...
Views: 565   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 8, 2014 5:54pm
by Gary D
"Keep Rannoch Wild" Photo Competition
Hi Could Challengers who have pictures of the wild land between Loch Ericht and Loch Rannoch please enter them into the 'Keep Rannoch Wild' photo competition? The first prize is £500 but a far bigger prize will be to have helped the campaign in trying to s...
Views: 324   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 7, 2014 4:07pm
by Andy Howell
Bridge crossings into Blair Atholl
When descending from Loch Bhac above and South of Blair Atholl it is a long and unsatisfactory walk to bridges at either Bruar or the road bridge East of the village. Is anyone aware of other crossings that are useable? E.g. There seems to be something at 871649. A u...
Views: 411   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 6, 2014 1:52pm
by John Keohane
Stepping Stones - useful postscript
Apropos of nothing, did you know that a goretex-lined leather boot weighs a kilo when full of water (size 5) Handy info for all you gram counters
Views: 381   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 5, 2014 7:09am
by Liz Robertson
Re Credit where it's due
Hi all I posted a moan about how long a pair of boots should last, specifically my Meindl Burmas seemed to have a short shelf life. So in fairness here is a postscript. I returned the boots to Meindl for examination and within a couple of weeks received a bra...
Views: 322   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 4, 2014 2:18pm
by Liz Robertson
Planning a wind farm free crossing for my last TGO Challenge
Wind farms are now springing up right across the Scottish Highlands. Many have not yet found their way onto the O.S. maps. If you are thinking of planning a crossing that avoids the worst affected areas, you may like to see the maps I've published. You can blow th...
Views: 454   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 4, 2014 6:49am
by Steve Crofts
Inverness-Torridon Transport
May be a bit premature......but, when lucky in the draw, we will be setting of from Torridon this year. We could hire a 6 seater from Inverness train station to Torridon. Space for 4 pax + rucksacks. Cost 21,25 p/p Anyone interested?
Views: 372   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 30, 2014 11:51pm
by Leendert Bakker
TGO 2015 entry form
I read on the TGO magazine web page the entry form is available for download on September 11th, but today being the 13th, I can not locate the link. Has anyone found it? Thanks
Views: 1250   Replies: 22
Last Post: Sep 30, 2014 3:12pm
by David Williams
Wild camping e-Petition
There’s an e-Petition on the go at the moment – the idea is that it MAY just persuade our government to allow wild camping in the UK. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/68882 JJ
Views: 542   Replies: 6
Last Post: Sep 25, 2014 9:27pm
by alan.sloman
Affric Kintail Way
Whilst exploring the Glen Affric area a couple of weeks ago, I was a bit surprised to see a series of signposts showing me the way - like this one: It's getting harder and harder for me to get lost! For full details of this new "trail" - CLICK HERE
Views: 520   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 24, 2014 2:10pm
by Jeremy Burrows
TGO Challenge 2015 closing date for entries
Has any eagle eyed Challenger spotted it yet? The closing date printed in the magazine is wrong. It should read Monday 27th October 2014 rather than Monday 26th October. So you have an extra day to contemplate the event. Beware though no entries will be accepted a...
Views: 469   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 24, 2014 2:06pm
by Jeremy Burrows
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26