​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crossing the Dee at Braemar

Purely academic question here, as I'll not be going to Braemar next year.

Coming from the north the options for crossing the Dee are the Bridge at the Linn of Dee, the Victoria Bridge at Mar Lodge and Invercauld Bridge. All of these tend to preclude a direct route from the north, or at least add some unwelcome extra miles before the weary Challenger can stagger into the Fife.

With the proposed footbridge from Braemar kicked into touch for the foreseeable future, has anyone waded the Dee? And where? And how was it?

And for bridge lovers, here is what might have been (or might be still?). Braemar footbridge plans. Click on the images to see them full size.

Re: Crossing the Dee at Braemar

I believe My Leyland could help you here, Phil.
He's waded across to Braemar in the past, quite a while ago.

Aha, perhaps El Tel will be along soon. The proposed site for the bridge, for anyone interested, is around NO146922. If built it could open up some interesting variations.

In the meantime it has been suggested in an 'off board' message (purists look away now) to simply catch the bus from Invercauld Bridge to Braemar for refuelling and then bus back again!

I have watched someone do this when the river was low ... but can you guarantee that it will be low?

If the water level is up, then it's a definite forget it.

Phil, I did exactly this way back in 1996. It's not a route which I would recommend as to reach the ford involves quite a commitment of time and energy, only to be punished by a retreat and long detour via Invercauld if it won't go. In the event, it was a dry year and I was fortunate in being able to cross with the water reaching only to my knees. I then had to paddle into Braemar with very wet feet. I was young(er), gung-ho and totally naïve in those far off days.

My route this year could involve a wade across the Dee, although I plan to go to Invercauld bridge.
However, if the river was low, it would sure save some time and miles.

Colin

Strangely strange and oddly odd, but I was just about to email you when I had a last peek at the board ... and there you were! (Ian Shiel had advised me that you might be the man to talk to).

All the replies that I have had, both on and off the board, give much the same advice. I had wondered vaguely if there was some broad reach of shallower water that might be possible in all but more extreme conditions, but it seems not.

I don't mind a commitment of time and energy but if it all came to naught I'd be mightily dispirited. So I guess I'll have to wait for bus ... or a bridge.

Thanks to all for your advice.