​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
South Laggan to Glen Turret

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if someone could advise please? I'll be starting in Mallaig in 2015. My proposed route will take me from South Laggan to Glen Turret via Leacann Doire Bainneir and Teanga Bheag.

Ness64's blog describing her 2011 crossing and responses to Ian Sommerville's thread (Nov 2012) provide conflicting advice on the best way to access the open hillside.

Did anyone trudge this way in 2013 and 2014 who might be able to provide reasonably up to date information on how they accessed the open hillside?

I won't be staying at the independent hostel so thought that I would ask here first before contacting them if necessary.

Many thanks.
m

Re: South Laggan to Glen Turret

I went up there this year and I am afraid I am going to re-iterate what other people have said in previous threads: drop into the hostel and find out the best route there.

I stayed at the hostel and they were very friendly and helpful. The lady there handed out photocopied sheets showing the route to anyone who asked. The exact route, I think, is liable to change as a result of forestry work. It goes up the obvious zig zag forestry tracks opposite the hostel, then via a rather less obvious track to pop out very nicely above the forestry. Then there was the deer fence to climb , a bearing to be taken and a grassy descent to Glen Turret on the north side of the Allt Teanga Bige.

It is a great route - good luck!

Mark
As Emma says take the enlarged forestry track to the top where it doglegs over a burn and heads south. Looking up the stream course head 11oclock upwards over very rough ground and rubbish left by the skylining for 600m to pick up the track.

We went over that way in 2010.
Nice route up and over.
Agree check with Hostel best way to get up.
And they are very nice there.
Not a bad place to stay if you need to.
Also check out the boat restaurant (see later) they do B&B on the barge at the back.

We went to Glen Turret via Allt Teanga Bige.

The Faerie Glen See Al's pictures here

If you are at Laggan Lochs, then pop into the Boat Restaurant.
Good food, and good beer.
Even if you are not staying, because re-hydration is important.

If you like seafood, then the Eagle at Laggan Locks is the place!

It is limited in the numbers for meals and I'd strongly suggest booking ahead.

The beer is very good too.

Good advice there from Emma and Fred. I would add if you keep a sharp eye
along the "base"of the fence there is a point where one can slide under.
Make sure to rehook the base strainer wire though. I have been that way
both directions on no fewer than seven times. Cheers

Thanks for getting back to me folks, very helpful.

I contacted the hostel the other evening after Emma's response and they sent me a map with two route options from the top track to the open hillside.

If anybody else is planning to go this way and wish to get the route firmed up in the route plan then email the hostel in the first instance (http://www.greatglenhostel.com/contact.htm)and they will send you the map. They are happy to hold food re-supply parcels and also buy in gas canisters for Challengers too.

Thanks
m

P.S. Seafood and beer, see you at the Eagle then!..