​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Peewiglet's back!

Chaps & chapesses,

Way back in 2005 a solo female backpacker, known variously as Shirl or Peewiglet, undertook the TGO Challenge and produced a superb on-line diary - later followed by two more.

The 2005 diary was the original inspiration for my starting the Doodlecat site. Unfortunately Shirley missed a deadline for renewing her domain name, and some nasty predatory web company (BOOO, HISSSSS, BOOOO*) snaffled it in order to hold it to ransom for some squillions of dollars.

But Shirl did not give in. No, Sir! She waited them out, and at renewal time, she snaffled it back. Huzzah!

And all of this means that you can now re-visit Shirl's challenges - I've replaced the links on my TGO PAGE. Just scroll down until you see the orange "IT'S BACK" slogans, or visit direct from here:

Peewiglet 2005
Peewiglet 2006
Peewiglet 2009

*yes, I have been to a panto

Re: Peewiglet's back!

That's excellent news

Phil,

That really is great news- Peewiglet/Weepiglet/Wench back, but when are we really going to see this very spunky lady back with us on the actual event? We haven't had a cheep from her for yonks, so if you are in contact with her please ask her to let all her Challenge chums out there that she is keeping fit and well.

Colin

Phil Lambert
Way back in 2005 a solo female backpacker, known variously as Shirl or Peewiglet, undertook the TGO Challenge ......

.... and told me all about it and persuaded me to enter in 2006..... so, 8 Challenges later, it's all her fault I'm still very grateful!

Phil Lambert

*yes, I have been to a panto

OHHH NO YOU HAVEN'T!

Shirl's was one of the write ups that I read that inspired me/encouraged me to apply for the Challenge after I first heard about it on the Adventure Show.

I'd discovered her blog was back up and running and I've been re-reading her adventures. Such fun!

It would be better still if she were back on the Challenge, she has been sorely missed!

I had the pleasure of walking with Peewiglet on the first few days of her first Challenge, from Shiel Bridge: I have an old (non-digital) photo of the two of us, looking extraordinarily clean, at the start, and a few later pics which are rather more real. I was on my second, so VASTLY more experienced......not (as they say)!

She carried a monster pack that year, with great aplomb, but she soon caught the lightweight bug, with a lot of encouragement from Bob & Rose of backpackinglight.com (for whom she did a memorable podcast) and fellow-Challengers, and she rapidly became a TGO expert on Challenge gear. On one Challenge, I heard she had quite a nasty fall, but with typical pluck came back from A&E to resume where she had left off.

Come back, Peewiglet!

Jean Turner
She carried a monster pack that year, with great aplomb

They're really heavy, those great aplombs.

I've always thought the little aplombs are MUCH better suited to back-packing; but they didn't make all that many of them, and I've yet to find one at a price I can afford.

Dear Santa ... please bring me a little aplomb this year

I don't know if Peewiglet is reading this message board, but I hope she is, as I wanted to add that it was reading her Challenge accounts and listening to her podcasts that hugely encouraged me to try the Challenge. Her down-to-earth attitude and the joy that she obviously found in the event were what sold it to me. Thank you!

I, too, hope that Peewiglet is able to get back on the Challenge.

I've just been reading her 2009 Challenge notes, again. (I had the pleasure to meet her that year).

Her way with words and with pictures is thoroughly entertaining and she was becoming established as one of the "characters" on the Challenge.

Shirl is the Kween Of Kool! The Mistress of Monroes! To know is to love her. She Shakes the Leg at Legends, and we adore her!

Last met with Shirl at her new gaff some three ears ago. And she was in mighty form.

Her narratives are inspirational. Huge respect to Phil for making them available once again.

In the past few years we've seen more and more solo women Challengers. Shirl opened all of this up and broke the soi-disant exclusive machismo once and for all. The Challenge mutates at all times - and for myself I welcome the fact that now we are substantially more inclusive. Shirl has always been at the vanguard, and we salute her! An model to many.

Um? We puzzled by this last. Shirl has visited with Mary and myself many the times. House-sat once when we went to Skandi for two weeks. We love her to bits! Killer guitar player . . .