​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Scarp 1 tent questions

Hi

I am thinking about buying a Scarp 1 tent but I had a couple of questions which I emailed to Henry Shires a couple of weeks ago but not yet had a reply. Does anyone know the weight of the tent with a half solid, half mesh inner? Also, the one currently being sold, have any of the modifications as suggested by TGOers been adopted?
Many thanks for any information.

Re: Scarp 1 tent questions

My Scarp weighed 1,390g when I bought it at the end of 2009. It is the solid version with a mesh panel on the door. Is that the version you mean? On the Tarptent website I can't see a half solid/half mesh version. Henry hinted at a new version incorporating some of the modifications that I have made to my tent, but the current version is the same as the one I bought, apart from a heavier duty mesh.

My blog has loads of mods that I've done, summarised on this page: http://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com/scarp-mods/

I have also written a long term review: http://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/tarptent-scarp-1-long-term-review/

IMO the two most essential mods are to seal the seams and replace the corner guys with 3mm cord (to stop slippage).

If you need any help or more info, let me know.

weight ready to go with half mess inner and without cross over poles 1680grams
mods = silicon selant 3 tubes
z packs cuban fiber ground protecter
top vent stiffeners / to make sure vents stay open
longer guys so you can still peg out when rocks are a prob

buy it you wont be disapointed the only other tent that was as good was the

phenix freerunner sigle skin goretex sadly no longer available

Hi Sam, I've still got my Phreerunner, which is mintish condition for a 31 year old tent and about the same weight as your new one. Also RB's Akto which is still as good as new. Makes me think I need to get out more! Good luck.

by the way , dont forget the inport tax , bit of a sting in the tail but it is a good tent

Last xmas, import tax for mine was less than 30 quid, I have in the back of my mind it was 29, I had expected 80 ish for some reason so I was rather happy with 30. I got a postcard through the door saying that there was a parcel requiring import charges, I went online and paid it and they delivered it next day, pretty simple.

Mine with the mostly solid inner weighs 1553, thats seam sealed, with 6 easton pegs & 4 extra v pegs, extra guys I added to each side of the centre pole and 4 zip pullers added to the door zips, oh and a para cord washing line across the inner roof.

I seam sealed it myself, easy enough but they will do it for an extra few dollars.

Overall I thought they're service was great, any time ive emailed, the man himself has always replied pretty quickly, i was chatting to them a while back about something they are working on that I was/am intrested in and he sent me some prototype snaps which I thought was rather decent of them.

I havent posted on here for ages snd every time ive been trying to post this I keep geting this message

Spam Detected

The information you have entered contains content that is considered SPAM.
We are unable to allow this message to be submitted.