​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
TGOC 2012 Photo's - From hypothermia to hyperthermia
Some pics from our 9th crossing. Click here
Views: 575   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 10, 2012 3:04pm
by Kirsten
Hein's TGOC 2012 Pictures - From Glenelg to The Deil's Heid
And here are my photos to give a good impression of my 2012 Challenge: https://picasaweb.google.com/tadohein/TGOChallenge2012 Not many people on these pictures, because I did not meet any other challenger at all after the 4th day! But for me it was a splendid ch...
Views: 733   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jun 10, 2012 11:16am
by Theo
My 2012 TGOC Photos
Here's the link to photos of my crossing with Sue and Heather: https://picasaweb.google.com/105097122787345545414/TGOChallenge2012ShiversAndSunburn?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLVg4is48nt9AE Sorry, you'll have to copy and paste as I don't know how to make the 'clicky thing....
Views: 691   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 10, 2012 12:20am
by Martin Rye
First challenge
What a great event to participate in. Thank you to all the challengers I walked with & met over the 2 weeks. Thank you to the kind gentleman who saved me on stormy Sunday & got me to Glen coe hostel from Kings House (the most inhospitable place on the crossing). Acro...
Views: 578   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 8, 2012 10:23am
by Tony Pugh
parcel pickup
During the 2012 TGO I send a parcel to the Inverness SYHA hostel. When I stayed at the hostel the parcel didn't arrive yet. But now it has. I wonder if there's a TGO'er living in Inverness who's willing to pick up this parcel for me. Maybe we could arrange a meet...
Views: 446   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 8, 2012 7:41am
by Bart
My photos - TGOC2012 - Glenelg to Collieston
I've finally got round to publishing my photographs and have put captions on most of them. They're at the bottom of this linked page (which will contain my full report when I get a round tuit): http://aroundthehills.wordpress.com/tgo-challenge-2012/ You can...
Views: 503   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 7, 2012 8:21pm
by Judith
Friends re-united
So it's only another 11 months to the Challenge and I know some of you have started planning already. Why not meet up with other challengers before that and come along to the Scottish Re-Union in Fort William. It is being held over the weekend 27/28 October and is...
Views: 489   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 7, 2012 5:10pm
by Stan Appleton
Next year's route - three queries
I'm just putting the finishing touches to my route for 2013, and there are three queries which I need to resolve. I'm hoping that some Challengers out there might have the answers. 1. There is a building shown on the map at Kinlochbeoraid, NM 857850. What is this...
Views: 721   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 6, 2012 7:16pm
by Jeremy Burrows
A huge thanks.
If you happened to met me during the last 4 days of my first challenge I was the one crawling along with a sprained ankle, which brings me to my point. I was stunned by the kindness and generosity of challengers in general but a few went above and beyond the call of...
Views: 507   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 5, 2012 5:56pm
by Michael Zimmerma...
My Challenge Blog - 2012 now fully written up
For those of you who like reading about other people's experiences and viewing their photographs, here's another one for you to go and look at: http://tworoutes.blogspot.co.uk/ Phil L: the entries for the 2012 Challenge are all labelled, so you can add this...
Views: 551   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 5, 2012 5:56pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Re: very sad news
We too, would like to express our deep sadness to learn of Ann's passing. Her lovely smile was always so welcoming on arriving at Tarfside, and she certainly helped us to renew our energies to continue on our journey towards the coast. May we extend our sincere cond...
Views: 486   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 5, 2012 1:22pm
by David and Margar...
l
Louise
Ahem
Er, I had a lazy day yesterday (it was my birthday ) and I seem to have found the time to do a little write up. If anyone's interested. http://gemini-challenge.blogspot.co.uk/p/tgo-challenge-2012-strathcarron-to.html Don't all rush at once now. (Sorry, not...
Views: 1073   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jun 5, 2012 12:51pm
by Louise
A few photos
hopefully here https://picasaweb.google.com/jimbo3772/TGO12JimAnderson
Views: 630   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 5, 2012 10:18am
by Jeremy Burrows
c
Colin
Osprey Rucksacks.
Hi I'm looking for first hand experience of the Osprey series of rucksacks and I have seen a few on this years challenge. I am looking at the Osprey Kestrel 58 or 68 rucksacks. These both come in S/M and M/L but my local shop doesn't stock them soI can't try them...
Views: 589   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 5, 2012 10:10am
by Mr. Grumpy
Mum's passing
I would like to say how much we have appreciated your warm and thoughtful messages/memories about mum, it has really helped dad and the family, thank you, anna
Views: 432   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 3, 2012 11:36pm
by Anna Maden
My TGO 2012: Lochailort to Montrose
I was going to go to the gym but I had a bit of exercise over the last couple of weeks. Then I thought, no, I'll do my write up. It's here at http://aktovate1.blogspot.co.uk or, you can Google in Gordon's off. Apoglogies for the typos. Out of three, I e...
Views: 783   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jun 2, 2012 4:52pm
by Jeremy Burrows
"Jeremy's Crossing"
A number of people have asked me for the words to the song which I sang at the dinner on Friday, so here they are. Those of you who were not there ought to have no difficulty figuring out the tune! Anyone interested in the story behind the song, well, I'm busily w...
Views: 529   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 2, 2012 1:05pm
by Jeremy Burrows
THREE CHEERS FOR OSPREY
Just a quick line to reflect my increased admiration for Osprey - makers of Jolly Good Rucksacks. Unfortunately, I managed to rip the fabric/stitching next to the buckle on the lid of my Exos 46 during the Challenge - nothing terminal but certainly in need of repair...
Views: 489   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 2, 2012 8:19am
by Robin Evans
Ann Maden - Funeral arrangements
Further to John's earlier post, funeral arrangements have now been confirmed. It will take place at 1pm on Monday 4th June at St Anne's Church, Copp Lane, Gt Eccleston, PR3 0ZN.
Views: 359   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 1, 2012 1:55pm
by Norma Keohane
Strathcarron to Catterline, Marian's pics.
Yet another little picture gallery, might put a blog to it one day. Tried for ages to do the techy 'click link' but can't seem to crack it. https://plus.google.com/photos/105069517012251961294/albums/5746867390682619665 Trouble is, I generally only get my cam...
Views: 685   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 30, 2012 11:52pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Thanks to All
I wish to express my thanks to the Sponsors, Organizing committee, Vetter, all those who helped me on the message board, and all of the friendly people I met along the way. For me the TGO2012 will always be a treasured memory with so many high points that I can n...
Views: 503   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 30, 2012 11:42pm
by Andrew W
A SIZZLER TOO LATE
A copy of the "The Scottish Sun" newspaper, dated 24th May lying on a seat of the train that i caught on thursday a.m. showed a front page headline " 27.3 oC SIZZLER IS 3 YR. HIGH. !.The article shows a picture of Aviemore last week , white with snow !!. I can vouch...
Views: 568   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 30, 2012 9:48pm
by bill howden
j
John J
Views: 608   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 30, 2012 11:25am
by alan.sloman
I will beg if I have to!!
Hi All Not sure if this is the done thing on this message board but hey ho!! I have signed up to run the Royal Parks Half Marathon in London on October 7th this year to raise money for the Breast Cancer Campaign. Not many of us get through our lives without being...
Views: 413   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 30, 2012 10:27am
by Jane Hilder
sorry missed folk at end
What a fantastic time i had on the challenge, enjoyed it so much & what great folk I met. Sorry to not have been in Montrose for the last night - had a quiet camp up the coast with daughter and friend (it was their last night of holiday too). So see you all next year...
Views: 466   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 29, 2012 9:28pm
by Mike P
Thanks everyone
I had to pull out of the Challenge on Thursday with a stomach bug, but I really enjoyed myself up to that point, even stormy Sunday. I'd like to thank those that I met with and walked with along the way. In particular, the Fowkes family, with whom i walked on...
Views: 1015   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 29, 2012 8:31am
by Robin Evans
Wilderness wine and cheese
Just off to catch the train to Corrour to gatecrash Alan Sloman's annual do. Picking up cakes from Ali Ogden on the way
Views: 831   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 28, 2012 8:22pm
by Sandy
Callater
A big thank you to everyone who stopped by or stayed at Callater. Another roaring success with the weather (sunshine whatever that is ) made it perfect. With Lyndsey's 30th & Biagio's 68th Birthdays the Cakes went down a treat and helpped to make it special. Next yea...
Views: 788   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 27, 2012 5:49pm
by carol kyle
They think it's all over ...
but ... Well done to all who took part this year - here's to the next one.
Views: 753   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 26, 2012 2:21pm
by Freddy
The end is nigh!
Well that's about it for another year. We are looking forward to the reports which will be posted over the next few weeks and to JMs final details. Don't forget to post here when your report is up and running as we don't all religiously follow your blogs etc. Well d...
Views: 710   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 26, 2012 7:19am
by Theo
Charity Challenger??
Congratulations to all the challengers, it was lovely to see some of you in Braemar on Saturday and Terry and I left some lovely weather with you for the rest of your trip. A question for you..... does anyone know the name of the guy who was walking to raise money fo...
Views: 521   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 25, 2012 12:56pm
by Jane Hilder
Congratulations.
Congratulations to all those who completed the crossing against the odds and commiseration to those who for whatever reason, had to withdraw, to do so is never an easy decision. I have been suffering from withdrawal symptoms over the last two weeks, but now the Chal...
Views: 409   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 24, 2012 2:31pm
by Patrick
Spot Tracker Monitoring
We have very much enjoyed following HARDY Challenger's progress across Scotland via Spot Tracking monitoring. We can see who has terminated their Challenge, who has retraced their steps owing to rivers being in spate, and who is camping where, not to mention intrigu...
Views: 507   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 21, 2012 4:52pm
by Theo
One week down!
After watching the weather forecast for the Highlands it does not look as though anything will improve over the next few days so to anyone left out there "well done" and to anyone who has been forced to retire "commiserations and I know how you must be feeling".
Views: 718   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 17, 2012 9:42pm
by Robin Evans
Walking the Challenge for charity
Last year was a `game of two halves` first the delight of completing my 2nd Challenge and then the frightening reality of being told my wife had cancer. This year I am doing the Challenge for Kidney Cancer. If anyone of my fellow challengers would like to donate to...
Views: 677   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 17, 2012 4:25pm
by Ali Ogden
Bad weather a'coming Sunday 13th
Mountain Weather Information Service forecast for Scotland, this Sunday, paraphrased: Wind westerly, 50 to locally 70mph, gusts 80mph, perhaps 100mph. Considerable buffeting from low levels. Any mobility difficult and significant wind chill where exposed across...
Views: 910   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 14, 2012 2:04pm
by john woolston
Good Luck
Good luck everyone! May the sun shine, the burns be low, the wind be at your back and the long range weather forecast be wrong!
Views: 583   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 13, 2012 7:22am
by Peewiglet
Facebook page for the Challenge
For those with a Facebook account: http://www.facebook.com/TGOC2012
Views: 568   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 12, 2012 7:58pm
by Mike Pleasants
Good luck & ATB for Challenge 2012
It's probably a bit late for most Challengers as they are already on the way to their start points but good luck to you all. If it is your first Challenge then make the most of it as it is the best one you will ever do. We'll be raising a glass or three you all your...
Views: 472   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 11, 2012 9:10am
by Phil Dowrick
i
Ian C.
It's kind of quiet here this morning
Is there anything going on? Anyway I'm off for a wee saunter.
Views: 585   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 10, 2012 8:21pm
by valerie
SPOT users
Any Challengers carrying a SPOT device on this year's crossing might like to add the address tgoc@outdoorsmanning.com to their list of contacts so that we're kept informed of progress. (Please note that email reception in Challenge Control isn't guaranteed and, fo...
Views: 708   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 10, 2012 7:21pm
by Bernie Clark
Facebook page and Spot tracker monitoring
This year's TGOC Facebook community: www.facebook.com/TGOC2012 Follow our Spot carriers: www.adventuretradingpost.co.uk/maps/tgoc2012.aspx
Views: 728   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 10, 2012 1:20am
by Deputy Dawg
j
Jean
Andrew W, Bill, Jeremy, Judith......help!
.....if you're still out there (as opposed to travelling north)..... You all kindly advised after Russ's tip-off about the Laser Competition (which has arrived & been test-pitched! ): can anyone advise me (a) do I really need the pole-sleeve cover extra thingy, a...
Views: 1008   Replies: 17
Last Post: May 10, 2012 1:07am
by Jean
A Caol Ila toast to all our friends
To all our friends on Challenge 2012: On Thursday night we will fill our glasses with a rather fine Caol Ila malt and raise a toast to you all for a safe, enjoyable and rewarding journey across Scotland. Lets hope that the weather holds up this year!! We, unfortun...
Views: 705   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 9, 2012 11:36pm
by Emma
Drum access
I'm trying to work out if there is access from the LRT to footpath into Drum village at NH 496 289 or if it's just leading into somebody's back garden. Anybody been that way and have more of a clue than me?
Views: 487   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 9, 2012 12:44pm
by martin whelan
JUST BEFORE YOU GO...
In the fevered penultimate kip before the Big Off, I dreamed that I left all sorts of things behind (but obviously not the paving slab that has snuck into my rucksack). So, in an attempt to placate the great God of Mislaid Things, I have spent a few minutes labellin...
Views: 614   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 8, 2012 11:34pm
by Shewie
Round trip to "drop off" at Fort Agustus
Hi All, Spent the day tripping to F/Ag to drop off food at campsite. They already have about 10 food boxes and NO problem re camping. Spoke to security at Glen Doe entrance and "no go" still in place, however he said that there is a new road from construction a...
Views: 465   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 8, 2012 10:37pm
by Doug Bruce
I know its late in the day but.....
I want a gas stove which has a stable base wind protection gas efficient packs small is light weight My current old faithfull is a gas Trangia- it ticks all the boxes except it weighs just under 2 pounds. Its been on 4 crossings. Any suggestions Lawrie...
Views: 764   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 8, 2012 8:01pm
by David A
4 hours to Start
4 Hours to my Challenge start! Barbados - Gatwick - Bree Louise - Glasgow - Lochailort - Stonehaven. Sorry I can not bring any dry weather as it is heavy rain at this end. If any one sees a tent with a Barbados flag stop in for a drink. Good luck to all...
Views: 638   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 8, 2012 5:21pm
by Shewie
Last Call from Braemar.
Hi All, To be in line with others -- I think the Challenge weather will be cooler but OK -- make it good for brisk walking. Have not noted others going via Shelter Stone, It might have to be the long way round but we will wait and see a week on Wed/Thursday. I...
Views: 704   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 8, 2012 4:30pm
by bill howden
Scotrail Club 55 has returned
Scotrail have just announced the return of Club 55 for the period 14 May to 30 June 2012. Return travel is valid for up to one month from the date of outward travel. All you need to do is produce proof of age (document, not behaviour . . . ). Although it's strictl...
Views: 408   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 8, 2012 2:51pm
by Humphrey Weightm...
j
Jean
Oh, this weather.....
It just goes on & on. Forecast for Challenge area seems to be snow showers up high, more-than-average rain lower, colder-than-average everywhere, sometimes windy, low chance of cloud-free Munros, and similarly unsettled right to the end. Why did I look??? One sit...
Views: 649   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 8, 2012 2:41pm
by Mike Knipe
Pack Weight
I've just done a trial loading of my pack, with food equivalent to that which I exppect to be carrying on the longest leg of my Challenge ... ... and it came out at just a tad under 16kg, which is REALLY chuffing!! OK, so I've downsized to 66 litres (oooooh ......
Views: 2725   Replies: 55
Last Post: May 8, 2012 2:25pm
by Joy
Lochaber update.
I’ve just spent the weekend at Blackrock Cottage, walking in Glen Orchy, Glen Etive and Glen Coe, the hills are very dry and the rivers are very low. For a these Challengers who may be passing this way I’ve posted a few photographs on my blog. http://m...
Views: 499   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 8, 2012 2:24pm
by Geoff Edwards
s
Shewie
To filter or not to filter
Some folk have been trying to persuade me to leave the water filter at home to save a bit of weight, what's the general opinion on here? For weekend trips I wouldn't bother but for an extended trip I think the 244g might just earn it's place. Any thoughts?
Views: 1033   Replies: 20
Last Post: May 8, 2012 10:09am
by Mike Knipe
wine
what is the best thing for carring wine if not in a bottle
Views: 594   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 7, 2012 12:46am
by Andrew W
All Grubbed Up?
Just a quick reminder to any Challengers who have not yet sorted their food supplies that time is fast running out! Lots of your colleagues are already hungrily looking at their piles of goodies from Outdoors Grub -- many thanks to everyone for their business, and lo...
Views: 579   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 6, 2012 10:22pm
by Chris, outdoorsg...
Going North from Laggan Stores?
The OS maps suggest that I should be able to follow an access road / footpath NE after stopping at Laggan Stores. Google Streetview shows a sign that says "Mullachnabeinne and The Larches No Thoroughfare". The aerial photos look like I should be able to get throu...
Views: 636   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 6, 2012 10:15pm
by Judith
terra nova laser competition 1 man tent sale of field and trek
Just seen this, on http://www.fieldandtrek.com/terra-nova-laser-competition-one-man-tent-2012. Terra nova laser reduced from £329 to £132, saving £190 + Russ
Views: 861   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 6, 2012 8:40am
by Judith
Ballater Accommodation
When dropping a parcel off at the Deeside Inn in Ballater on Wednesday the manager advised that they still had plenty of rooms available for Monday 21st. Tel 01 339 755413. cj
Views: 556   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 6, 2012 6:22am
by Jeremy Burrows
In Me Bag!!
I all,this is something I rote in 2008 on the challenge "Read it in a Lancashire Accent" Me shoulders are tried and me feet do ache! And the wind is me face Its been raining cats and dogs Oh!i do hope I find a place soon What!shall i have for me tea? Maybe ma...
Views: 711   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 6, 2012 12:17am
by terry mac leylan...
Weather
Completely bored with sorting out my pack, the only thing I am certain to carry is whisky, so I looked at the various long range weather sites. As far as I can work out amalgamating the various forecasts the weather will be........heavy rain and brilliant sunshi...
Views: 628   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 5, 2012 10:30pm
by Ian C.
Lumsden village
For anyone coming through Lumsden on the Challenge, be advised that the Spar shop is now closed and boarded up and the only hotel yesterday had a sign outside saying it was up for sale - don't know if it is still operational. cj
Views: 594   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 5, 2012 10:14pm
by Colin Tock
Gairnshiel Bridge 297009.
Hi All, Grid Ref NJ 297 009 Would you believe it -- one month ahead of schedule the Gairnshiel Bridge -- has reopened to all traffic. Well done General Wade!!!!! Keep walking. DB Braemar
Views: 559   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 5, 2012 9:32pm
by Jean
p
PaulM
gaiter strap material
My new straps almost wore through in just one Welsh day. Any good ideas welcome. PaulM
Views: 836   Replies: 14
Last Post: May 5, 2012 8:57pm
by Paulm
Not Long Now
Tick ... tick ... tick ... ONLINE COUNTDOWNS Laughs maniacally
Views: 882   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 5, 2012 6:40pm
by Lord Elpus
General NE snow situation
Just back from a pre-Challenge warm up jolly and on on Wednesday and Thursday the weather was absolutely superb weather and with temps probably up to the late teens. There was still a lorra, lorra...... lorra snow on the higher tops with Lochnagar still plastered for...
Views: 595   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 5, 2012 5:53pm
by Jeremy Burrows
One week til we hit the West Coast......
Well, this time next week most of us will be sampling the delights of the west coast between Ardrishaig and Torridon. Think its time for us to get more organised and look out the kit needed. Looking forward to seeing many old and new friends on the way or at Montro...
Views: 527   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 5, 2012 2:46pm
by Russ
s
Shewie
Lunches
What do folks carry for lunches, I've currently packed some Primula, bagels, Nutella and pasta soups. Apart from our stops at Fort Aug and Braemar there's not a lot of options to pick stuff up, so we'll be posting most of it up in our food drops. I'll be looking t...
Views: 1542   Replies: 21
Last Post: May 4, 2012 6:28pm
by Jean
Ok, What's wrong with Plockton??
I'm intrigued as to why Plockton has such a low number of starters - only 6 from 326 (less than 2% of the total field). Do the other 320 starters know something that us 6 don't? To me it seemed a reasonably good choice: - It faces east (so you get a hint of wha...
Views: 986   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 4, 2012 4:22pm
by Jean
Track my progress on the challenge!
Of course, this only applies to those who are not on the challenge this year. If you are in that unfortunate situation then perhaps you would like to track me and other challengers as we progress across Scotland: http://www.secretmountain.co.uk/out-and-about/track...
Views: 512   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 4, 2012 3:44pm
by Bryan Waddington
travel
Any pros out there know a cheap way to get from montrose to brighton after the challenge.(walking is not an option)
Views: 589   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 4, 2012 10:54am
by Chris Frizelle, ...
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31