​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
travel

Any pros out there know a cheap way to get from montrose to brighton after the challenge.(walking is not an option)

Re: travel

Lindsay, I'm not sure what you have tried so far so fogive me if these suggestions are obvious:

- All the cheap seats on the Friday trains may have been taken up by Challengers, so see what you can find on Saturday. Yes, that may mean staying an extra night in Montrose but a night at the campsite won't be very expensive and you can spend the day exploring Montrose and its surrounding areas. You could take a walk up to the TGO Challenge monument, and Montrose has a museum in which you can spend an hour or two.

- If you're looking at train fares, you should definitely split your journey. Don't just accept whatever Montrose to Brighton fare you are offered. If you look back through the forum you'll find advice on how to find cheaper fares by splitting your journey. For example, next Friday I am getting the train from Wigan to Glasgow but I have split my journey into 2 segments: Wigan-Preston and Preston-Glasgow. That worked out A LOT cheaper and I can stay on the same train!

- There may be some special deals on either train fares or long-distance coach fares, so have a look at the Travel section of http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ as they often highlight good deals.

Good luck!

I'm on the Saturday train (but then, I'm finishing on the Friday ...)

The 10.32 from Montrose will take you to Kings Cross, where its just a few yards to St Pancras and direct trains to Brighton on the Thameslink line.

The best way to get cheap rail tickets, though, is to book them about 10 weeks ago ...

Megabus will get you from Aberdeen to London on Fri 25th or Sat 26th for £18 at the moment -- see http://uk.megabus.com for details and booking.

It's not the pleasantest way to travel but it is relatively cheap!

PS: Train seems likely to be about £60+ if booked now.