​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
PHD & Rab Jackets + PHD Synthetic Combi Bag For Sale
I've a PHD Minimus jacket for sale, size Large with a stud on hood £90. Also a Rab Summit Jacket, size Large with a stud on hood £85. And, .... a Long PHD Synthetic Combi Bag £120. All in good condition. Prices include post and packing....
Views: 403   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 22, 2014 12:19pm
by Gordon Green
Hilleberg Akto for Sale £195 incl: P & P
I'm selling my Akto. It is at a low price, but is in very good condition. It was used on the 2009 Challenge, and for a few other trips before I got my Trailstar in 2010. Since then it has hardly been used. Last time in November 2013. It has everything in order:...
Views: 363   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 22, 2014 11:55am
by Gordon Green
e
Emma
Interesting article on keeping warm in your sleeping bag
To while away the weeks until the October issue of TGO appears, I thought Challengers might be interested in reading this article. It addresses a concern very close to my heart: how to keep as warm as possible in your sleeping bag. I have heard a lot of discussion...
Views: 646   Replies: 6
Last Post: Sep 15, 2014 11:20am
by Emma
Mr Walker's Final Gear Sale - Final Reductions
Last chance saloon or whatever. This is it, the last few pickings of GEAR Inc Stephensons Warmlite 2R Tent (delivered) for £145 What? Is That All? Satmap Active 10 (upgraded) + UK North 1:50000 Maps + 1:50000 national Trails + 2 x Screen Cove...
Views: 323   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 14, 2014 11:41pm
by Andrew W
Dalwhinnie developments
I was driving back from Rothiemurchus to Bedford yesterday and stopped by to look in on some friends in Dalwhinnie (who weren't at home ... as wasn't Ally when I called in at Newtonmore ... am I using the wrong deodorant or something??) Anyway, this resulted in a...
Views: 442   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 14, 2014 8:53pm
by Andrew W
Satmap Active 10 GPS for Sale
SATMAP ACTIVE 10 (Upgraded & Serviced) UK North 1:50000, National Trails 1:50000, Pennines 1:25000 Maps 2 x Spare Screen covers Bike Back and Mount £160 ono (delivered price) There is nothing wrong with this and it has had a factory service in the l...
Views: 211   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 8, 2014 9:54pm
by Andrew W
dehydrated beer....
Or close to it http://www.patsbcb.com/how-it-works/ But I won't volunteer to taste it....
Views: 374   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 7, 2014 5:38pm
by Vanessa Ling
Peter Goodwin
It is with profound sadness and heavy hearts that we find ourselves penning these words in memory of Peter whom we met on the first challenge for all of us back in 1999. We subsequently had the pleasure of sharing his passion of the hills and mountains on most, if n...
Views: 464   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 7, 2014 9:26am
by Peter Goddard
Peter Goodwin - message from his family
We have received the following message from Peter's son Dominic who is keen that it reaches as many of Peter's walking friends as possible: It is with great sadness that I report the death of Peter Goodwin. He fell on the final descent from Ruinsival towards Harri...
Views: 546   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 3, 2014 8:55am
by Ali and Sue - Co...
Oookstar (Oooknest) for MLD Trailstar for Sale
This is full silNylon Back, Chikara Floor and Mesh front. Available for immediate despatch. Used but in good condition See HERE for details and pictures
Views: 337   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 31, 2014 7:44pm
by Andrew W
Peter Goodwin
It is with great sadness that we have to pass on the dreadful news that Peter Goodwin died on the Isle of Rum this weekend. On Saturday 23rd August he completed the traverse of the Rum Cuillin and separated from his companions on Sgurr nan Gillean, intending to re...
Views: 1065   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 29, 2014 7:12pm
by Heather Thomas-S...
TGO Scottish Re-Union - 5 weeks to go
Hi all, Final reminder about forthcoming TGO Re-Union to be held in Crianlarich on 3/4 October. Booking form can be found on Resources Page by clicking HERE. Need definite numbers for the dinner by 20th September so hope to hear from those who haven't yet booked...
Views: 254   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 29, 2014 5:42pm
by Les & Issy
Stephensons Warmlite 2R for Sale
I also have a Warmlite 2R for Sale. Like Mr Sloman's famous WANDA but slightly bigger Also on same Blog Post HERE
Views: 189   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 25, 2014 2:40pm
by Andrew W
MR WALKER'S MASSIVE GEAR CLEAROUT
Time to sell of STUFF. inc a Warmilte 2R Tent AND an MLD Trailstar + Oooknest + Door + Cuben Tub Below is a table of stuff that has to go one way or another Detailed information and lot's of pictures of the above can be found here ANDREW'S BIG GE...
Views: 410   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 24, 2014 10:52pm
by Rod MacDonald
Fire at Spittal of Glenshee Hotel
Challengers should be aware of this from the BBC: Firefighters tackle blaze at Spittal of Glenshee hotel From the pictures it does not look recoverable by May 2015.
Views: 660   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 23, 2014 11:49am
by Gordon Green
Wind farm rejection
Highlands Council have rejected the application for 20 turbines at Glen Kyllachy http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-28857578 and hopefully other applications will head the same way
Views: 322   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 21, 2014 9:23pm
by Andrew W
Another one bites the dust......
Sadly another empty hotel mysteriously burns to the ground as the Spittal of Glenshee Hotel is destroyed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-28832177
Views: 568   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 21, 2014 4:28pm
by Gordon Green
i
Ian C.
Pictures of Bill's 70th
There was a wee party this weekend, at Lochcallater Lodge, to celebrate Bill's 70th birthday. A great time was had by all who attended. I've put a few pictures on my website. They can be found here Ian C.
Views: 364   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 20, 2014 10:30pm
by Byron
g
Gary D
New planning controls on hill tracks
More info here on a new "prior notification and approval process": http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/scottish-government-announces-new-hill-track-controls/0011428/ About time too.
Views: 392   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 20, 2014 12:39pm
by Gary D
Construction work in the mountains between Loch Ness and the A9
I thought I had a complete and viable route for my 10th Challenge in 2015. I am adamant that (1) I am going to make the Drumnadrochit - Inverfarigaig crossing; (2) I am going to go through the Lairig Ghru; and (3) that it is going to be a High Level crossing. In o...
Views: 475   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 18, 2014 11:25pm
by Andrew W
l
Louise
Careful planning required
There is a lot of damage to paths and bridges in some of the most popular Challenge areas, careful route planning will be required in future http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2014/08/12/rockfall-and-second-washed-away-bridge-block-more-cairngorms-routes
Views: 489   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 18, 2014 4:21pm
by Louise
Photos from TGOC 2014
We\'re currently putting together the October issue of the magazine and have some great reports from 2014 Challengers but are a bit short on pictures (Ian Cotterill\'s masterpieces excluded). Anyone with some good shots they\'d like to share? Send them to emily.r...
Views: 512   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 15, 2014 1:50pm
by Jeremy Burrows
TGO15
When will the TGO Magazine with the entry form for 2015 be on sale?. WB
Views: 575   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 14, 2014 2:34pm
by Barry Sykes
TGO Re-Union, Crianlarich 3/4 October - Booking Form available
Booking form for the TGO Re-Union in Crianlarich over weekend 3/4 October, is now available to download HERE Hope to see some of you there for a fun catch-up weekend.
Views: 309   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 8, 2014 6:45pm
by Benson
Tarbet church bunkhouse
Does anybody know if it\\\'s still possible to stay in the bunkhouse in the church, and how to contact anyone to see if it\\\'s available.Heading out to Mallaig next weekend, thanks.
Views: 612   Replies: 9
Last Post: Aug 5, 2014 12:04am
by john woolston
Only 2 months til next TGO gathering
As the summer is creeping on and the Challenge is starting to become a distant memory, thought it was time for a reminder about the TGO Re-Union. It is being held over the weekend of 3/4 October at Crianlarich Hotel. Format for weekend is all meet Friday night, wit...
Views: 259   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 4, 2014 8:10pm
by Issy & Les
Talladh-a-Bheithe wind farm
A huge wind farm has been proposed for land designated as "Wild Land" by the Scottish Government. This land is supposed to get "extra protection" from development. It will be located between Loch Rannoch and Loch Ericht and just to the east of Rannoch Moor. You...
Views: 619   Replies: 10
Last Post: Aug 3, 2014 4:47pm
by Theo
Feeding a Raven
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B21kZeEVojQSc25BUm94NFpMc1U/edit Hi all I know I bored on about it to anyone willing to listen but here is a clip of Susan and I feeding a wild raven at the top of a bealach in Knoydart. Her face says it all, it was so close yo...
Views: 435   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 2, 2014 8:59pm
by Liz Robertson
t
terry
lost challenge cerificate
hi .all I've been cleaning my office out and I have found a 2008 certificate for a Charlie Humphreys from strathcarron to st cyrus, are you still out there Charlie!!!!! you can get me on teryytl@gmail.com terry
Views: 335   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 31, 2014 4:38pm
by terry
Pictures
Hi- does anyone know the web site that you can enter a map grid reference and pictures of the area will appear? My computer died ( It was only 10 years old) and I lost the address! Thanks William
Views: 421   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 30, 2014 10:37pm
by William Burton
Spam appearing on our Message Board
Looks like some obvious spam has been appearing on our Massage (Bored . . . ) recently. It's very easy to spot - but as Lord Elpus advises on no account click on any links within these messages. You'll simply bring down a world of pain and woe that will make The Burm...
Views: 500   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 29, 2014 7:37pm
by Phil Lambert
Oookworks
Has anybody any knowledge of how to contact (other than text,email and phone)Sean of Oookworks fame?He seems to have gone missing again.
Views: 577   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 27, 2014 1:02pm
by Barry Turton
e
Emma
Photos
I would like to add my thanks to the organisers, the Vetters, the team at Control and everyone I met who made my Challenge in 2014 such an enjoyable experience. For those who are interested, here are some of the pictures I took along the way.
Views: 891   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jul 22, 2014 7:46am
by Louise
2015 TGO Chally blog accounts
I'm currently in the process of writing my blog post for the 2015 TGO chally. If I don't get on, I can use "Find and replace" to alter the main details to "Coast to Coast", "Torridon" becomes "St Bees" and "Montrose" will become "Whitby" (I'm such a rebel!) You h...
Views: 484   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 20, 2014 10:33pm
by Andrew W
2014 Challenge - a list of blogs
I've started putting together a list of 2014 Challenge blogs on my blog: Daunerin' Aboot There are undoubtedly lots missing. If you have or know of a blog that is not on this list, please let me know and I'll add it.
Views: 433   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 16, 2014 9:58pm
by Ian Sommerville
Baggings
I have just completed the English and Welsh 2000ft mountain (using Nuttalls list). My diaries are on www.meip.co.uk
Views: 400   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 16, 2014 5:49pm
by Steve Smith
OS Landranger price increase
OS Landranger prices rose on July 01 to £7.99. Dash4It are freezing prices at their old level of £4.54 through July 28. Get 'em while they're hot!
Views: 312   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 14, 2014 4:27pm
by HMP3 Weightman
Withdrawal symptoms? Not another blog about the Challenge?
For those not yet bored by accounts of the Challenge, I have finally completed my own blog posts on this year's event. So if you are interested in the not always serious comments of someone whose route hardly smacked of derring do my tales can be found at: http://...
Views: 476   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 12, 2014 11:38am
by David Williams
And yet another take on TGOC 2014
I think most TGOC addicts have already paid a visit to Doodlecat's version of this year's Challenge, but if not, then it's right HERE
Views: 658   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 12, 2014 11:04am
by alan.sloman
Hanwax
For those of you who picked up a bottle of the freebie Hanwax stuff at the end of the challenge, but don't speak german, I got my friends to translate the instructions for us all. How to use it: 1. Clean shoes properly, if necessary with a wet sponge. Le...
Views: 566   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 11, 2014 9:23pm
by HMP3 Weightman
Mildred' Funeral
Mildred's funeral is at Doncaster Rose Hill Crematorium at 12.20 on Tuesday the 15th July
Views: 255   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 7, 2014 9:24pm
by Mick Daniels
A Very Sad Day
I Have today about the sudden death of Mildred Scott from throat cancer. Mildred did most of her challengers in the 90s and early 2000. Not only did she walk the challenge she also gave talks and slide shows to many different organisations.She will be sadly missed b...
Views: 613   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 4, 2014 12:37pm
by David Towers
TGOC 2014 - Days 8 and 9 Kincraig to Braemar
TGOC 2014 - Days 8 and 9 Kincraig to Braemar
Views: 346   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 3, 2014 8:27pm
by Phil Lambert
Grateful Thanks!
Now most Challengers are home again, I want to take the opportunity to thank everyone for their help, support and friendship after my 'tumble' down Streap Comhlaidh on Sunday 11th May. 150 metres felt like a long way to go and I am VERY grateful the following fol...
Views: 784   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jul 2, 2014 8:53pm
by Phil Lambert
Mallaig to Nether Warburton
On the pier steps at Inverie: At this point, we really should have turned back. I've started my write up: TGO Challenge 2014: Part 1: Leaving the city behind.
Views: 625   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 1, 2014 11:03am
by Robin
New 'Challenger' gear from Z-packs
Just noticed Z-packs have a few new bits of gear (jacket, wp trousers & mitts), they were obviously inspired but their 2014 crossing and have named the new gear 'Challenger' http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml Thought it might interest a few on h...
Views: 519   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 30, 2014 8:05pm
by Roddy MacDonald
TGOC 2014 Days 3 to 7 Loch Quoich to Kincraig
This is quite a huge post so, you may need a while to look, even if you ignore the text and flip though the pictures It has more music in it c/o Mad 'n Bad It may have the odd rant It may contain expletives So..... now you know TGOC 2014 Days 3 to 7 Lo...
Views: 209   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 28, 2014 12:30am
by Andrew W
Part 1 of my 2014 crossing
The 2014 crossing was my first and I can honestly say I enjoyed every minute of it. In addition to all the great memories, I also came home from Scotland with approx 120gb of photographs and video footage, I've put together some of the footage which covers the fir...
Views: 859   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jun 25, 2014 10:30pm
by Matt H
TGO 2014 Ardrishaig to Montrose
Be warned: this account contains wingeing http://aktovate1.blogspot.co.uk sorry, can't do kicky Google in; Gordon's off and you get to the same place.
Views: 517   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 24, 2014 11:55am
by Gordon Green
My TGOC Blog up to Day 2
So, for those that are not fed up to the gills with Challenge Blogs (and GILLS was appropriate in Knoydart this year, here is My TGOC Up to Day 2 Days 3 to 6 will follow in the next Post There is MUSIC in this, as provided by the Mad 'n Bad Les Paul AND.....
Views: 239   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 23, 2014 12:21am
by Andrew W
Lindy's story: TGOC14
Hello to all of you who helped to make this year's TGO Challenge such a fabulous event. Biggest thanks have to go to the organisers and the various groups of 'Challenge angels' met in different locations. On my crossing I kept a note of who I chatted with by...
Views: 612   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 20, 2014 2:43pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Kilchoan to Tangleha' - write-up complete
All 14 days now written up, with pictures (one picture per post: that's just how I write it). Blog address here: http://tworoutes.blogspot.co.uk/
Views: 459   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 20, 2014 1:58pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Stratospire 1
Hi, I've read Andy Howells review of his Statospire 2 but wondered whether anyone used the 1 on the crossing; and if so, how was it? I'm thinking between a Scarp 1, sil Trailstar or the Stratospire 1. I'm too cramped in my Microlight. Thanks Euan Cameron
Views: 679   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 19, 2014 8:52pm
by Euan Cameron
Pictures of Challenge 2014: Ardrishaig harbour - Arbroath harbour
I have sorted out and edited my picturs now and have posted them on the web for who might be interested. I made an effort to photograph all Challengers I met this time and have included them in this set of pictures. Well, it was no trouble at all, for I met only 3...
Views: 667   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jun 15, 2014 10:19am
by Des Horan
Our TGO Challenge Photos
https://plus.google.com/photos/106405242027708744767/albums?hl=en_US
Views: 414   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 14, 2014 1:09pm
by Jeremy Burrows
Change of email address
Due to my specific challenge email address having been hacked I've changed my email address. Please use the following} jdshiel@btinternet.com The last email I received at previous address was at 10am Wednesday 11th June so any sent after that I have not receiv...
Views: 398   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 13, 2014 8:46pm
by Goddess
Hacked Off
First the bad news; my computer has been hacked and, and spurious messages sent to a number of contacts; the good news is that I am not stranded in Turkey, mugged, penniless and without a passport. So that's worth celebrating.
Views: 645   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 11, 2014 8:34pm
by Goddess
Stranded
Another day and yet another TGO better is stranded abroad without access to cash. What's going on? Should they just stick to the Highlands?
Views: 411   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 11, 2014 12:08pm
by Andy Howell
My Challenge photos
I've uploaded my Challenge photos to my Picasa page CLICK HERE Warning: there are 664 photos! I couldn't be bothered to put captions on them. You can match them up with my Challenge report on my blog, which has maps of my route. CLICK HERE
Views: 439   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 9, 2014 6:05am
by Lindy Griffiths
i
Ian C.
My Challenge in pictures
I've finally got my pictures edited, titled and put on my website. They can be found at http://iancotterill.com/2014tgochallenge.html. Sorry if I've got anyone's name wrong, let me know and I'll get it changed. I've got individual photos of each of the 10 timers....
Views: 719   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jun 9, 2014 5:47am
by Lindy Griffiths
67 turbine wind farm approved in the middle of the Monadh Liath.
The Minister for Energy, Enterprise and Tourism, Fergus Ewing today approved the Stronelairg wind farm in the middle of the Monadhliath Mountains. LINK That man should hang his head in shame.
Views: 586   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jun 8, 2014 8:08pm
by Ian Sommerville
Les Trois Amigos - TGOC 2014 Photo's + Music
This is the full set pretty much of Les Trois Amigos TGOC 2014 from Mallaig to Nether Warburton Starring Messr's Walker, Sloman & Lambert and a host of others. Yes, it is another VIDEO, with some home spun music C/O the Mad 'n Bad Les Paul But this time it...
Views: 523   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 7, 2014 8:40pm
by Heather Thomas-S...
VERY SHORT TGOC VID + KNEE OP
So, just waiting to be taken to my room for Left Knee Arthroscopy. :-( Hopefully back out later. In the mean time here is a very rapid 3 min 30 sec set of images from 2014 + a bit of home grown Fen blues guitar c/o Mad 'n Bad's Les Paul. Here
Views: 997   Replies: 25
Last Post: Jun 6, 2014 7:36am
by Louise
Yet another Challenge blog
I've written a blog of sorts about my experiences on this year's Challenge. Not a day to day account, but just a few loosely connected ramblings. Strathcarron to St Cyrus
Views: 323   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 5, 2014 10:43pm
by Ian Sommerville
Photos - Kilchoan to Stonehaven
Yet another set of pictures. A short picture summary of my crossing from Kilchoan to Stonehaven can be found here. Sorry, I don't do write-ups / trip reports. (The closest I get is trying to add captions of where the picture was actually taken - and even tha...
Views: 549   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jun 5, 2014 8:00pm
by Lindy Griffiths
My 2014 Challenge account
Days 1 & 2 are now on my blog: http://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com
Views: 706   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jun 4, 2014 11:25am
by Robin
Have you lost your boots?
Found property: Pair of Karrimor boots, size 43, left in the Park Hotel. If they're yours please contact the Park Hotel in Montrose on 01674 663400 / reservations@parkmontrose.com to either arrange return or sanction incineration.
Views: 443   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 3, 2014 10:24am
by John Manning
First three days - now written up
For those who are interested in my Challenge blog, I have now completed my write-up of the first three days: http://tworoutes.blogspot.co.uk/
Views: 453   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 2, 2014 1:20pm
by Andrew W
Yet more photographs
That was a slow, painful process, if they're in the wrong order, I'll eat my spork... https://picasaweb.google.com/115857461571846265608/TGOChallenge2014# And no, I still can't do the clicky thing. Sorry.
Views: 523   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jun 2, 2014 12:29pm
by Louise
Nordisk Telemark tent
Hi TGOer's i was wondering if any one used the Nordisk Telemark tent on this years crossing and if you would be happy to provide some feed back on how it performed? Thanks Mark 2012 TGO challanger
Views: 523   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 31, 2014 11:00pm
by Andrew W
My 2014 Crossing
My write up can be accessed from www.meip.co.uk
Views: 666   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 29, 2014 7:33pm
by John J
Monster thanks to all at Challenge Control and beyond
Once again a magnificent Challenge, made possible by the tireless efforts of Deputy Dawg and his team at Challenge Control. It's true, this is the finest backpacking event, and all down to the enthusiasm, knowledge and plain old down 'n' dirty nitty gritty that the t...
Views: 648   Replies: 9
Last Post: May 29, 2014 11:20am
by Marian Parsons (...
Caledonian Sleeper: Change of operator
Challengers travelling to Scotland on the Sleeper next year are in for some changes LINK
Views: 482   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 29, 2014 12:32am
by Ian C.
TGO Challenge Recap
I have started to post the TGO challenge recap on our blog I also want to thank all the lovely challengers that so effected us in such a positive way over the last couple of weeks www.mustexplore.blogspot.com
Views: 358   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 28, 2014 2:07pm
by Craig&vicky Gull...
l
Louise
Ls Belles Tea Shop Tour of Scotland TGOC 2014
For anyone who might be interested in how much tea and cake we managed to consume as we glided across Scotland: http://gemini-challenge.blogspot.co.uk/p/tgo-challenge-2014-shiel-bridge-to.html?m=0 Still can't do the clever clicky thing :-)
Views: 494   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 27, 2014 11:10am
by Louise
Thank you!
How do I sum up TGOC14? It was a fabulous crossing, truly earning the title 'Challenge'. Many thanks to all who contributed their hard work, enthusiastic support and smiles - be it organisers, challengers I met or supporters en route and from home. I have 'Ticked...
Views: 325   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 27, 2014 7:01am
by Lindy Griffiths
A big thank you
As a solo first timer and a Scot living in the Borders I was often asked why am I doing the TGOC when I could go out any weekend from home. Well one reason was to see my home country from a different perspective and another was as my kids said to me on my birthday in...
Views: 352   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 26, 2014 3:14pm
by Ian Sinclair
c
Caburn
TGO 2014 photo-blog
Well, here we go - the first (of many) trip reports, so we can all relive those experiences all over again! Here's mine: https://www.flickr.com/photos/59705039@N02/sets
Views: 770   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 26, 2014 11:51am
by Phil Lambert
Cafe Akto results in...!
Thanks to everybody who partook and specially those who didn't partook but still bunged dosh in the tin and even specialler to those who weren't on the chally who put dosh in the tin. Just had three tin openers out (it was a tough tin) and counted the moneys and it c...
Views: 579   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 26, 2014 11:43am
by Phil Lambert
Cheese and wine soiree- Challenge Police report.
Brilliant CnW last night in fabulous spot- probably an altitude record for this event. About a dozen challengers and groupies managed to stay awake long enough to have a **** good time - even the youngsters. Weather's looking good this morning from where I am in Kin...
Views: 775   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 25, 2014 9:46pm
by Andrew W
Many Thanks
Just to say a very big thank you from Ruth and me to John and Ali and everyone else running Challenge Control. We have some excellent memories of TGOC2014; of the wild places and of all those whose company we enjoyed so much along the way. But the welcome at the end...
Views: 244   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 24, 2014 9:33pm
by Jerry Knights
Thank You
I wish to thank everyone that was involved in the organisation and running of the challenge this year. Special thanks to all at St Drostans (glad you got more bacon). Good luck and thanks to John for all his hard work and his move to pastures new. To all who I met ov...
Views: 324   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 24, 2014 2:09pm
by Darren Fowler
Challenge Kindness
I just wanted to say a couple of 'public' thankyous to those who helped us out along the way this challenge. Firstly to Jo, a lovely lady who works in the museum shop at the bottom of Loch Arkrig. We popped into buy some Ice Cream & were talking about our route w...
Views: 402   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 23, 2014 4:05pm
by Vicky G
Well done Alan Rayner
Congratulations to Alan on completing your first challenge. So proud of you and everyone on FB sends their congrats. Enjoy the party tonight and sink a few pints, saving room for the Holt's tomorrow.. Love Sheila
Last Post: May 22, 2014 8:02pm
by Sheila Rayner
Llongyfarchiadau!
Well done Charlie and Thomas Coombs! First ever long distance walk of any sort for Thos, so we're all VERY proud of him. And well done Judith. I gather you all met up at Montrose few hours back.
Views: 252   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 22, 2014 5:51pm
by Fran Coombs
Finished for another year!
Congratulations to the 100+ Challengers who will arrive in Montrose today, and of course all those who have already signed in. Sorry to have missed this year's event as the weather must have been the best for several years. Enjoy your rubber chicken and don't forget...
Views: 382   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 22, 2014 8:06am
by Mr. Grumpy
Challenge police report- Strathspey
Happy to report that challengers are obeying instructions to enjoy themselves as they were heading for the delights of Aviemore and beyond. Weather still good though tomorrow's forecast for the cairngorms is not great- hope most are over of through by then. The C&...
Views: 525   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 17, 2014 11:45am
by Val Machin
4 free gold eastons at Garva bridge
I just bought some superglue because we had 3 heads coming off this morning when leaving camp, then I realised we were missing 4 of them. Bad repartition of task with my wife I guess. We were on the east side about 10 meters from the bridge so good luck!
Views: 647   Replies: 10
Last Post: May 16, 2014 10:30am
by john donohoe
Kylie Koncert
What's that Skippy, The Ozzie Pop Princess is on the telly tonight and her number one fan, The Pieman, is stuck up some Highland glen with no signal! I'll try recording that for him. Nope; batteries flat. I'll just hum his favourite tunes when I see him.
Views: 357   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 15, 2014 8:56pm
by john donohoe
Important message: SWITCH ON tracking devices
Any Challengers carrying SPOT Trackers or other tracking-type devices: please SWITCH THEM ON!!! Others, please spread the word. A handful of folk merrily blazed a trail on Friday, then seemed to stay put yesterday, without issuing a single location signal or sendi...
Views: 394   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 11, 2014 9:38am
by Challenge Contro...
HEET (fuel) alternative in UK.
Way last minute I know. We are on way to the airport in Orlando to begin our journey to Scotland and The TGO. Where can get get a HEET substitute? Any thing that will work (denatured alcohol) and that is readily available in a market or gas station will do the tri...
Views: 1153   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 9, 2014 2:12pm
by dara ohuiginn
Good luck and good weather!
Hi to all the Challengers! All the best! Good tracks and stay safe! See you all another year. Mike.
Views: 255   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 9, 2014 7:53am
by Aussie Mike
Best of luck
TOP TIP: Wake up, then its left foot right foot until bedtime. Enjoy. Good luck to all. Richard and Rosie.
Views: 296   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 8, 2014 11:33pm
by Aussie Mike
Wellies........, or Waders??
If the west coast showery weather that is forecast over the next few days is going to be anything like the conditions in deepest, darkest Aberdeenshire this afternoon, perhaps adding wellies or waders to the kit list might be worth thinking about.... enjoy. cj
Last Post: May 8, 2014 11:31pm
by William howden
Good Luck
Wishing everyone taking part on the TGO Challenge 2014 the best of times. Especially thinking of my husband Charlie on his second crossing and my son Thomas on his first ever long distance walk. Good luck and walk safely.
Views: 217   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 8, 2014 9:59pm
by Fran Coombs
It's the waiting that's the hard part
It's all coming back to me now. The feeling of being the ONLY Challenger who was in work on Thursday and has been left all alone with a half-packed rucksack and nobody to talk to. But my train leaves in 12 hours and 17 minutes so I'll soon be on my way! If an...
Views: 367   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 8, 2014 7:52pm
by Judith
Have a great time everyone!
Hope everyone has a safe and happy crossing, with enough sunshine to lighten the spirits, enough breeze to cool sweating brows, and just enough showers to keep the burns supplied with fresh water (all falling at night, of course.)
Views: 215   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 8, 2014 6:52pm
by Marion Boyle
Good luck from us too!
It was really nice to stop off at Queen Street this morning and wave off a few of the Class of 2014. Good luck everyone. Have a great crossing. Emily
Views: 196   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 8, 2014 2:23pm
by Emily @ TGO
Good luck from me too
I had to withdraw from no. 4 on the standby list. I'm guaranteed a place next year though. Good luck to everyone about to start. Hope there'll be a few blogs to keep up with.
Views: 291   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 8, 2014 1:21pm
by Geoff Gafford
Best Wishes
Hi to all on the TGOC, good luck to all starting a fantastic journey today. Be safe and always keep smiling. Stuart
Views: 147   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 8, 2014 11:24am
by Stuart Wright
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27