​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
And yet another take on TGOC 2014

I think most TGOC addicts have already paid a visit to Doodlecat's version of this year's Challenge, but if not, then it's right HERE

Re: And yet another take on TGOC 2014

Superb!

Phil Lambert
Glen Geusachan is long, trackless and slow

/agree
and i took it as a shortcut for my 2013 TGO

Phil -

That was an absolutely absolutely cracking read!

Interested to know what you figure makes for a belter of a route ... as 2015 will be my 10th, so I too have been trying to plan a belter.

Here's what I have come up with:

Friday: Dornie to Loch Mhoicean via Loch Long, Camas-luinie, Glen Elchaig and Iron Lodge

Saturday: Meall Shuan - AN SOCACH (Munro #1) - AN RIABHACHAN (Munro # 2) - Creagan Toll an Lochain - SGURR NA LAPAICH (Munro # 3) - CARN NAN GOBHAR (Munro #4) - Loch Tuill Bhearnach

Sunday: descend Allt Taige - Loch Mullardoch shore path - Roads down Glen Cannich to Cannich and on to Tomich

Monday: Guisachan and path through the woods to Ricer Enrick then Corrimony and through the woods to Drumnadrochit

Tuesday: Inverfarigaig boat and up RIver E to camp by upper Allt a Ghille Charaich

Wednesday & Thursday: CARN NA SAOBHAIDHE (Corbett # 1) - some other Corbett whose name escapes me - a wild camp somewhere and a long ridge walk to GEAL - CHARN MOR (Corbett #3) then down into Aviemore [details of this section are still a little undecided ... there are a number of options]

Friday: if the weather forecast for Saturday is good, spend an easy day in Aviemore resupplying and recharging before heading down to the Camping Ground. If weather forecast for Saturday is poor, head up Glen Feshie to the bothy.

Saturday: Lairig Ghru and over SGOR MOR (Corbett #4) then down to Mar Lodge (or Feshie - Geldie - White Bridge - Mar Lodge AGAIN if the weather wasn't good for the Lairig Ghru)

Sunday: Victoria Bridge - Linn of Corriemulzie - Coire nam Freumh - Carn na Drochaide - Creag a Mhadaidh - Carn Ghriogair - Sgor Mor [I've been wanting to include this ridge on a Challenge ever since spying it on my first Challenge in 2000 when I walked the Carn Mor - Carn na Drochaide - Morrone horseshoe; but I've never been able to com eup with a route option which uses it, until it occurred to me to walk it NNE to SSW, rather than SSW to NNE] - AN SOCACH (Munro # 5) - Baddoch Burn - CARN A GHEOIDH (Munro # 6) - THE CAIRNWELL (Munro # 7) - Loch Vrotachan

Monday: CARN AOSDA (Munro # 8) - ski centre - Meall Odhar - GLAS MAOL (Munro # 9) - Little Glas Maol - Shanovan Hill - Tulchan Lodge - Glen Isla - Little Forter - The Mill - Doldy Farm - Kirkton of Glenisla

Tuesday: Freuchies - pass North of Backwater Reservoir - Craig of Balloch - Glen Quharity - Glen Uig - Easter Lednathie - Glenprosen Village

Wednesday: Road walking to Letham

Thursday: Road walking to Lunan Bay

If the weather treats me well, it's got 9 Munros and 4 Corbetts for a High Level crossing (but don't hold your breath on that one)

It's got the boat across Loch Ness ... it's got the Lairig Ghru ... it's got the ridge I always wanted to walk south of Morrone ... it's got a Lunan Bay finish ... it's got the Thursday night dinner at the Park. All it's missing is a Torridon start (I tried ... but I either had to leave out a whole load of other things I wanted, or hte route ended up at 16 days ...)

Looking forward to hearing what you have in mind ...

You might have difficulty with the River E bit. We did it this year but there will be restricted access next year.

Thanks for the heads up, Louise.

There ARE other ways through those hills ... so I'll have a look at alternatives.

Hi Phil

That was possibly the best Challenge write up I have ever seen, Sir.

As next year's walk will probably be our last for a while, and having read Jeremy's reply and his very detailed thoughts about his tenth Challenge next year, I too have had my thinking cap on.

We should start on the west coast - somewhere between (but not excluding) Ardrishaig and Torridon - and actually walk in broadly an easterly direction for a couple of weeks. I say easterly as I have no interest in ever walking west or north ever again. We need to pick a start point with a good pub.

Our route ought to have a few good hostelries included and perhaps a sprinkling of cafes as well. We should plan for a Cheese & Wine party - somewhere in the middle of sod-all.

We could finish on the east coast, preferably somewhere with a really good pub.

What do you think, Sir?