​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nordisk Telemark tent

Hi TGOer's

i was wondering if any one used the Nordisk Telemark tent on this years crossing and if you would be happy to provide some feed back on how it performed?

Thanks
Mark

2012 TGO challanger

Re: Nordisk Telemark tent

I don't have one but I first came across the tents last summer in Devon. I spoke at great length with the owner, he regarded it very highly: lightweight, spacious and stable in poor weather.

JJ

Hi Mark. I spotted a purple one at North Water Bridge (Dovecote Caravan & Campsite). If the owner doesn't use this board, maybe someone knows who he/she is & can put you in touch.

Hi Mark,

I used a Nordisk Telemark 950 (there is a lighter version at 880gms). The weather was relatively benign on the crossing (and my practice camps beforehand) so I cannot speak as to bad weather experience. I got it because my wife was to accompany this time, so my usual Akto would be too small (and I needed anyway to shed weight). We both fitted in, with both using Neo Air mattresses. There was pretty little room left at the sides, but some storage top and bottom (rucksacks were left outside). I did not use the tent porch for cooking, but there was room for boots, pans etc. The main issue was lack of built in ventillation - we usually slept with the inner door largely unzipped, and the outer door unzipped as much as possible. Also, having compared notes with Bob Cartwright before going, I used very trick I could think of, to keep the outer tent from resting on the inner on the longer 'slope'. There are loops part way down which I put my poles into, so as to keep the outer from sagging somewhat, and I attached extra guys at the end so as to maintain an airflow gap without compromising stability. The main issue otherwise is that the tent comes supplied with minimal pegs so as to keep the nominal weight down rather than peg the tent in a storm - I added more sturdy titanium V titanium pegs, which added (with the extra guys) 200gms. Tent was very easy to put up, and taking down was nearly as easy, though lack of care meant risking the pole separating whilst still in its sleeve of very fine material.

Thanks Robert for your review.

In summary would you say you are happy with the tent and how does it compare to the Akto?

Hi Mark, Yes if with my wife I would take it again (if two share, they will be very close!). However having taken my Akto during the notorious (weather-wise) 2012 crossing, I would take the Akto again if solo - undoubtedly the Akto has superior ventilation, but there is a weight penalty. Hope this helps, Robert

I would also take a serious look at the Luxe sil her Peak from Bob at Backpacking Light.
I have one and as is is exceptional value for money, and pretty bomb proof.
The next generation version will be interesting.