Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
j
Johnny
Brownies, Guides, Girls Clubs
Hello. My daughter is 5 years old and is wanting 'something to do'. She recently went to ballet lessons in Bryn but found it a little too much at her age. I would like her to get involved in the Brownies (or five yr old equivilent). Any ideas? All the one...
Views: 222   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 16, 2005 8:54am
by Johnny
j
Johnny
Shopping Centre
Does anyone know what the situation is regarding the town centre building work? I see that they have started on the new Aldi which seems to be taking a surprisingly long time. However, the new Tesco is up and running - and refusing Clubcard points on fuel!!...
Views: 286   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 12, 2005 2:22pm
by Johnny
Search for Andrew Thompson, Ben North and friends!
Hi! I m from germany and search for Andrew Thompson, Ben North and friends. I have some old pictures for you! Holiday 1997 Lanzarote I hope i havent schock you now! Bye Tina
Views: 219   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 6, 2005 3:04pm
by Tina Müller
Sir Thomas Gerrard
According to my family tradition I am a descendant of Sir Thomas Gerrard. I have been reading about the Gerards in Ashton in Makerfield and also in Adlington but I wonder whather anyone can tell me where to look for information about the Gerrard family tree ? Acc...
Views: 301   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 21, 2004 8:21am
by Martin W. Berner
j
Johnny
Litter - YET AGAIN - Please help
I am posting this thread in the hope that like minded people may respond positively with ideas. Last time I attempted to do this, I was met with cynicism and mild forms of abuse! I live near to the Caledonian and find that over the last few years, litter has becom...
Views: 390   Replies: 14
Last Post: Dec 20, 2004 1:44am
by Johnny
To: Johnny, Russ and other genuine board members
The person (or persons) posing as 'Horace', 'Margaret', 'Bernard', 'Wally' and 'johnny' (lower case 'j') is posting from the same IP address and has been banned. The board is intended for honest discussion of issues affecting Ashton and the community. Manipulative...
Views: 264   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 20, 2004 1:40am
by Johnny
Christmas
Hi, I am returning to the area for Christmas. Is there anywhere to have a drink without fear of animals spoiling any christmas spirit I may have left ? I sympathise with the majority of members on this forum, i guess you could say i have a love / hate relationsh...
Views: 282   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 20, 2004 1:38am
by Johnny
Petition against conservation work on Ashton Heath
Apparently a petition is doing the rounds to discourage any further conservation work on Ashton Heath. Perhaps someone would be helpful enough to shed some light on the content of this petition to the residents of Ashton Heath ? The recent essential improvements to A...
Views: 377   Replies: 9
Last Post: Dec 17, 2004 12:59am
by Russ
anyone
fancy a pint ?
Views: 279   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 16, 2004 11:21am
by cunard0
g
gavin
Wigan is taking over the world !
A lot of the young people from Ashton insist on calling themselves Wiganers. They say they live in Wigan. Soon, places like Ashton will lose their identity if the up and coming generations think like that. I recently spoke to a lady who lives in Astley, considers her...
Views: 281   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 15, 2004 1:36am
by Johnny
j
Johnny
Millions!!!!!!!!!!
Does anyone have any news or ideas on what is actually happening re the new shopping centre? We have heard of plans for a town centre relief road, an Aldi (which appears to have started), pedestrianisation, a McDonalds etc etc. All but the supermarket appear t...
Views: 270   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 10, 2004 2:24am
by David
p
Peter
Ashton Heath Conservation
How disappointing to discover that a councilor - Walter Carney has taken steps to halt the excellent work of the Ashton Heath residents group The Heath was a mess, a dumping ground and had the appearence of an untidy piece of scrub land until the residents group beca...
Views: 275   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 24, 2004 2:43pm
by Peter
d
D C
Why was Ashton Heath work stopped?
Just wondering... why did Councillor Walter Carney stop the conservation work by Ashton Heath Residents' Association?
Views: 256   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 23, 2004 3:02pm
by David
Board policy
Arising from a post earlier today it is necessary to point out that while the board is intended to foster discussion on matters affecting Ashton, messages containing personal criticism of individuals are not allowed. If you wish to discuss this, please email me -...
Views: 277   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 28, 2004 3:40am
by Moderator
Red Lion /Mad Jacks
Noticed the Red Lion in Gerard Street Is getting a much wanted face lift . NOW its time for the BIG Green Monstrosity in the Centre of Wigan Road was tidied up or better still demolishished. Our town deserves better. What do you think ???
Views: 296   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 6, 2004 3:12pm
by Johnny
d
D C
Disgusted at proposals to close Post Office
I am absolutely disgusted by the proposals to close the Stubshaw Cross Post Office. I live in the centre of Ashton, but make a point of always using the Stubshaw PO. It is easy to access and I have always found the service so much more friendly and professio...
Views: 432   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 25, 2004 7:06am
by John
s
Steve
Labour Club
Is Old Road Labour Club still open?
Views: 461   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 22, 2004 9:06am
by Terry
d
D C
Millingford Brook Project
We have just read about the project and as Millingford Brook runs at the front of our house, were wondering just which area this relates too.
Views: 282   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 12, 2004 5:50pm
by david
Ashton Grammar School intake of 1952
We are trying to contact all members of the 1952 intake of Ashton Grammar School, with the aim of keeping in touch and inviting them to join the rest of us at a reunion at the Nupro on 18th Sept. We do not want to invade anyone's privacy, but we would love to know ho...
Views: 411   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 6, 2004 12:31am
by Carol Watson(nee...
Need help locating Janice-Smith-Sherman....
Hi everyone in Ashton in Makerfield!!! kindly reply to my e-mail if you know this Lady. Given name Janice Sherman, name after marriage: Janice Smith. Has a Son named Simon - should be in his early 20's today. Janice was involved with tourism and lived in Israel fo...
Views: 376   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 3, 2004 7:15am
by Simon Stauber
j
John
Aldi and the new road.
Does anyone know what is happening on the new Aldi front? Also, what about the proposal to build a relief road or pedestrianise the town centre? John.
Views: 437   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 27, 2004 6:55am
by david
d
David
Old Computers
Hi a couple of years ago I heard about a christian group, who were collecting old computers for Third world countries. I have an old one that works OK on simple things but it can not handle modern day internet. It seems a shame to skip it. Can anyone offer advise.
Views: 326   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 26, 2004 9:44am
by David
s
sue
Nail Booth
Hi just had some nail extensions done at sundeck on wargrave rd in earlstown, Never had a better set of nails done! and i cant tell ya girls i have tried them all!
Views: 363   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 24, 2004 11:07am
by frank Hughes
j
Jackie
Clarke family tree
Hi, Came across this site whilst trying to do a bit of research on my family tree. The family have lived in Ashton-in Makerfield since 1853. Harriet Clarke married Richard Wilcock and remarried when Richard died. One of thier sons Horace Sheppard is commemorated on...
Views: 371   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 25, 2004 9:00am
by Jackie
Grandmothers Birthplace
Hi Guys Further to my last posting. My randmother was born in a place called "Backend Farm" does anyone know anything about it. Is it still there? Was it actually a farm? Would appreciate any information Thanks jim
Views: 409   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 7, 2004 5:08pm
by Jim Callaghan
d
David
Free chairs - hip, hip, hooray....
Captain's Lane Centre has a number of chairs surplus to requirements: 28 cinema seats (7 sets of four tipping seats); seven wooden red upholstered chairs; and five metal kitchen-style chairs. Buyer collects. Ring 712385 or 512563.
Views: 410   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 28, 2003 8:08am
by David
Lanworld Now Open
We have just set up a gaming centre across the road from st thomas's church so if you want to get rid of the kids for a few hours send them in our direction! they get chance to learn the internet and also have fun playing computer games in a safe enviroment. Regar...
Views: 420   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 12, 2003 6:13pm
by John Aspey
Higher Gennel
Has anyone heard of Higher Gennel? My Great Great Grandfather, Thomas Abrams, died in a pit accident at Pewfall Colliery in Dec. 1862, and was buried at St Thomas. At the time, he was living on Higher Gennel. I've found Middle Gennel on an old map, and it appears...
Views: 438   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 23, 2003 9:45pm
by John Cichowicz
d
Dave
Help to trace someone...
Dear Sir/Madam, Could you possibly help me to find out if a certain person is still living in Ashton or locally, or if anyone knows of their whereabouts ? To explain, I and my family used to live at No 7, Old Road ( Opposite Ashton Library and next but...
Views: 516   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 13, 2003 3:07pm
by Dave
Johnson Family
Hi I don't know if this is a good place to start but here goes. My Grandmother Rose Hannah Johnson born 1886 to Paul and Alice (nee Finn) Johnson emmigrated to New Zealand with her sister Laura Alice in 1909. They left behind their parents and siblings (among them...
Views: 423   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 23, 2003 5:09pm
by Jim Callaghan
gerard street parking
I read the forums concern on illigally parking in Gerard Street,and agree with thier the concern ,however , most of it is CASUAL PARKING ( albeit illegal ),the BIGGEST OFFENDER for illigal parking in the town is by the carpet fitters employed by the SELECT A CARPET...
Views: 438   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 29, 2003 11:58am
by frank hughes
Great site!
Hi, just found you in a search engine, you have a really good informative site here. We have a forums that might interest some of your users @ http://www.justwigan.com/forums that have a number of local issues debated .... give us a try! Say it LOUD....Say it CL...
Views: 393   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 16, 2003 2:40am
by The Judge
Cheers
After a stay of 6 months I have to go. I'd just like to say the hospitality and general friendliness of the Ashton folk was outstanding. I have had a tremendous time here and would like to thank all those I have met during this time, especially the lads at the Golden...
Views: 381   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 10, 2003 3:36am
by Glen Wilson
s
shaun
new local psychic forum
contact a prychic in youe area. www.shaunbooth.moonfruit.com
Views: 369   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 31, 2003 7:51am
by shaun
d
David
Wigan Green Spaces
As a matter of interest, how many readers are aware of the Wigan Green Spaces Programme? This is an environmental improvement schedule arranged by Wigan MBC in conjunction with the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers, providing a regular programme of activities...
Views: 344   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 30, 2003 4:44pm
by David
Gerard Centre Extension
For those of you who have been living under a large boulder this month, there are some sheets of paper hanging from the front windows of Kwik Save. Inside, of course. On these sheets are some plans. Proposals, if you will, to expand the Gerard Centre. The extensio...
Views: 444   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 30, 2003 11:18am
by antster1983
dentists
Hello, This forum doesn't seem to be frequented too often but maybe someone out there can help me out. Does anyone else out there feel that they can't trust their dentist? In the past 18 months I have undergone extensive root canal surgery costing me approx £...
Views: 448   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 14, 2003 9:02am
by carolyn mann
family history
Hello, I am doing family history and looking for information on my ancestors in the Pierpoint and Marsh families of Ashton c. 1800. Any information on these would be appreciated. Regards, John Marsh
Views: 463   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 1, 2002 6:29pm
by John Marsh
d
David
Welcome again!
Apologies to all who posted on the BeSeen Bulletin Board and lost their messages - the BeSeen service was terminated in August, leaving the Forum without a Bulletin Board. At the request of a regular user interested in genealogy (thank you Emile!) I was encouraged to...
Views: 542   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 11, 2002 12:36pm
by David
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Free Forum powered by Bravenet