Return to Website

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum

This message board welcomes open and friendly debate on matters relevant to Ashton and its history, and the publicising of local events, activities and facilities. Please read the board rules before posting.

Extracts from this forum and other material have been brought together to provide a local history from the contributions of members.

Ashton-in-Makerfield Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wigan is taking over the world !

A lot of the young people from Ashton insist on calling themselves Wiganers. They say they live in Wigan. Soon, places like Ashton will lose their identity if the up and coming generations think like that. I recently spoke to a lady who lives in Astley, considers herself a Salford Girl, has never been to Wigan and doesn,t want to go. She is, understandably, not too happy at being considered to live in Wigan and paying towards Wigan council yet gaining no benefit from it. Wigan is getting too big for it's boots, it is taking a lot of revenue from these outlying areas and should consider them more when the money is being shared out

Town: john.bate@onetel.net

Re: Wigan is taking over the world !

I am born and bred in Tyldesley, my mother living in the ASTLEY area for 26 years. I still have family there now. I also work there!

Probably the main reason that the woman you know classes herself as a Salford girl is because she is from there. I would love to say what I mean but I cant. Lets just say that a small minority of Salford people have spoilt it for the rest when they moved to Astley, escaping Little Hulton.

The main subject, WIGAN. Have you ever tried driving to Wigan from Tyldesley? NAF! I must admit that I hadn't heard of Ashton until we looked at a new house here. Most people think of A U Lyne when you mention Ashton!

After all, we do live in the Wigan borough - in a suburb of Wigan.

The only thing I keep going on about is LITTER. It is a **** hole!