Return to Website

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event docs etc at TGO Challenge Resources page 
TGOC13 SPOT Tracker map (courtesy of Adventure Trading Post)
Queries? Contact the co-ordinator

Forum: The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Supermarket food?

Hmm. Already I am licking my lips.

I guess from the original post that you've chosen to spurn the regular freeze-dried material such as Real Doormat et al - which I find acceptable, and you can get a Challengers discount from Outdoors Grub.

A couple of years ago on a Challenge I carried four excellent sirloin steaks which my local butcher had vacuum-packed, and I tell you,a steak breakfast is the business. Trundling along the French/Spanish border I would pick up pork chops and fry them up with wild fennel. I'd also go for the serious saucission - the kind that is encrusted with pepper and lasts for ever.

On a long trip the length of the GR11 I mainly lived on good bread, olive oil, saucisson, chorizo and mantego cheese. All of which are now available in UK supermarkets.

I'm an omnivore, but I'm fond of smoked tofu done with scallions, garlic and a dash of hot peppers.

As others have said, cous-cous is a terrific food - high in energy and simplicity to prepare. Consider carrying a few condiments to give it a lift - harrissa, sumac, pimento, cumin. ground fennel, pomegranate syrup.

I guess we're moving toward a thread that discusses how we can take a seemingly bland base and create our very own Masterchef experience on the trail. And this is way beyond my level of expertise!

I'd suggest that you ask yourself why you want to buy product in the first place - and I suspect it's because you'd like to make your meals all the more enjoyable. Good on you. Myself, I love to cook, and I love to have a good meal on the trail - and for me the kicker is having a supply of lightweight additions. I'm basically taking a stripped-down set of my home store. Take small containers of ground black pepper, sea salt, tahini, whatever you use at home, and have fun in camp!

There's a whole other thread just waiting for one-pot gourmet trail meals. My own best was a couple of steaks with a cream and brandy reduction in the graveyard E of Loch Lee.

Let the Guzzling begin!

Email  
Re: Supermarket food? - by Jean - Mar 21, 2012 12:17am
Re: Supermarket food? - by Jane Egg - Mar 21, 2012 12:23am
Re: Supermarket food? - by Vanessa - Mar 21, 2012 1:16am
Re: Supermarket food? - by Frederic - Mar 21, 2012 8:50am
Re: Supermarket food? - by Vanessa - Mar 21, 2012 10:17am
Re: Supermarket food? - by Gordon Green - Mar 21, 2012 11:45am
Re: Supermarket food? - by Carl Mynott (Loc... - Mar 21, 2012 2:30pm
Re: Supermarket food? - by Andrew Walker - Mar 21, 2012 4:24pm
Re: Supermarket food? - by Gordon Green - Mar 21, 2012 4:42pm
Re: Supermarket food? - by Jean - Mar 21, 2012 7:08pm