​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Camping around Loch Moy

Hi William
I've looked around about the Allt a' Chuil, west of the A9 and a bit south of Loch Moy, but only on the map, geograph.org.uk amd aerial views, so I can't really advise beyond that. I think Moy might be one of those tricky estates, so I would avoid being too close, personally, but I could be wrong about that. I'll post on FB and see if anyone else has any more helpful suggestions.
Louise

Hi All,

in 2009 I camped along Allt a' Chuil at NH 7862 3212 piccy here.

I came from Inverness along Wade's road and walked the North side of Loch Moy and did not find a suitable spot there. Nor did I find anything suitable around Milton of Moy.

Regards
Rolf

Hi William
I camped at approx NH 745 344 on the bank of the Caochan na h-Earbeige, just S of General Wade's "Road" back in 2012. Wrong side of the A9 for you, but an easy place to cross.
I think the west side of Loch Moy would be too exposed.
If you're taking the cycle route, I recommend the shop in Tomatin for a hot chocolate and shelter.
Good luck with your planning!
Vanessa

The west side is more open, largely deforested presently, but Moy Hall is the Mackintosh of Mackintoshes residence so you would need to be "circumspect".

In 2022 I followed the Wade road over the hill south from Inverness, down to Faillie Bridge then up near Ross's quarry, Auchlain then on to pitch in an area (NH 75844 34036) below an estate track - which looked at the time like it was being repaired. It was far enough away from the keepers cottage (at NH76373 34032) but close enough to hear the dogs barking. A burn flowed past - perfect for water source and deer meandered downstream near the A9. The only downside was A9 traffic noise which carried a fair bit. If you go past the turn off for Ruthven (road to houses and fishing beats on the Findhorn) you may find somewhere downstream of the bridge over the Dalmagarry / Funtack burn confluence NH79814 32025. Not sure if Milton of Moy is occupied - it was owned by Scarlett, an authority on tartans, about 40 years ago as I recall.

Avoid the quarry workings - they are still looking for the remains of Rene MacRae! Google it.

As mentioned before the 3 Bridges cafe at Tomatin village hall / sport centre is a great place to have breakfast, I use it a fair bit on motorcycle runs out. It also has a small shop with basics.

Thanks to everyone for your input and advice. I think that I have finished the route. A good mixture of solitude in the hills and glens and social evenings in the hotspots.

I am looking forward to another successful crossing. See you in May.
William

:flag-bb: