​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Query re is Ralia Lodge to Ruthven possible?

I went that way last year. The old tracks mostly link up, but there is one stretch where you have to walk beside the A9. The verge is very wide so it wasn't a problem. It may have been possible to bypass that bit on footpaths but I couldn't be bothered to search around.

Thank you Derek, that is what I needed to know! :grinning:

Hi Lindy

Will you be coming from Glentruim? If so can I suggest an alternative. As Derek says the track after the minor road is discontinuous and I really wouldn't recommend it as it leaves you with several sections of walking the A9. I would suggest instead taking the track south to Phones and then the Old Military Road. It's a beautiful walk, if a bit wet in places, one of those rarely visited hidden gems and feels surprisingly remote considering it's proximity to the A9. Once you hit the A9 you just have to cross it and then you pick up the track to Ruthven after a few metres.

Hi Lindy,

I'll second what Ali has said. The stroll between Phones and the area around Nuide really is quite stunning and you'd never know that the A9 is so close. The paths tend to run a little thin as you get closer to Knappach and Ruthven but it's always possible to proceed. The line of the old military road has long been a favourite of mine, highly recommended.

Thank you Colin. I am going to go and have a look the maps gain for this a bit later this morning.

Thank you Ali - I will have a look and see if that works